DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

SFG did a good job of putting some arms behind Bumgarner. Weird about a 2 year opt out in Cueto's deal, but good move for Johnny if his elbow doesn't explode. Bumgarner, Cueto, Shark, Peavy, and if Cain is healthy him, otherwise Chris Heston? If I were into rooting for evil jerks in black and orange, I wouldn't be complaining.

And still I wait for my beloved Boys in Blue to get more for the staff than Hisashi Iwakuma. April is still a long ways away. I can't fucking wait. Stupid winter.

Ill say it until I am blue in the face I doubt there is that much to spend on baseball team since the corporation grossly overestimated the value of having NHL rights and why it is so much better having individuals owning sports teams rather than gigantic corporations.  How much would the Jays broadcast rights be worth now?  No one knows which pocket the tv money goes to since Paul Beeston has just said for years we are losing money

When pro sports franchises say they're losing money, they're usually full of shit. Especially when that sport's revenues have reached a record high for like the 13th straight year.

But hey, here's $60 million guaranteed on JA Happ and Marco Estrada! Enjoy battling for third place again, Jays fans!

I get that...but how much extra revenue did they collect from August 1st til the end of the season? Tickets, merchandise, concessions, and massive tv numbers...a competitive team that the city has confidence in is a license to print money in Toronto. Add one top end starter this winter and they could see with 40k+ every game.

The more they spend the more they'll get from increased interest. The team as is will not be a contender and Toronto fans should rightly be upset, as they're close but badly need an infusion of talented pitchers. It's not like this year's free agency class was full of great arms or nuffin. 

Right. Even if he doesn't opt out, which I'm not sure why he wouldn't if he meets the requirements to do so, the hit isn't going to be that much since the Cubs will have even more money at that point.

Baseball isn't played on paper, but goddamn are the Reds going to be bad. The NL Central is again going to be the Cubs, Cards and Pirates with the Cards looking like they fell behind the Pirates. The White Sox are just so shitty too. A quick list of shitty 2016 NL teams:

- Reds

- Brewers

- Marlins (Possible for them to have a good season I guess)

- Braves (maybe?)

- Phillies

- Padres (How does Preller still have a job?)

- Rockies

I could see the Diamondbacks having a year where they went bananas in the offseason only to have nothing to show for it during the regular season. Going to be tough competing with the Giants and Dodgers.

Santana will be the DH/part-time 1B/part-time C, I'd assume.

NL is looking top-heavy again. Cubs look like the class of the league again, with the Pirates, Nationals, Cardinals, and Mets in the next tier and the three NL West teams (Giants, Dodgers, DBacks) kicking the shit out of each other. It's still obviously early this winter, but the Cards and Dodgers have taken huge steps back this winter, while the other non-Cubs teams have largely stood pat and the Diamondbacks got a lot better.

As for the shit teams? The Braves will be terrible. The Brewers and Reds will be shambolic. The Rockies will either be mediocre (if they don't trade any outfielders) or bad (if they do strip down the OF). The Padres will be thoroughly mediocre. The Marlins could put it together and compete for a playoff spot if the dysfunction doesn't tear them apart. The Phillies will be better, but still pretty dire.

American League? Now this will be interesting. I don't think there's a truly shit team except maybe Oakland. AL Central and West are going to be a bloodbath, four really dangerous looking teams in each of those divisions. White Sox will be better, but I don't think they can compete. Tigers will be better and can go on a tear if they stay healthy. Seattle is also looking a lot better on paper.

And then...there's the East. The Orioles could be pretty bad if they don't replace Chen or Davis. The Jays are back to being mediocre. The Rays are the Rays. The Yankees are still the Yankees. The Red Sox are obviously much improved. This could be a one horse race.

My main concern, which is the a concern for my other buddies who are Cubs fans as well, is the amount of regression the Cubs are due for. Arrieta, Bryant, Schwarber, and Lackey will all likely regress, with the latter being due to age. It's exciting to think that the roster as it stands now could potentially win 100 games, but that's with everyone playing at the same level they played at last season. Or those fears could be unfounded, but the Cubs have had an amazing offseason thus far putting together one of their best teams ever on paper, not just a team of the best players.

That would be the guess.  Though Santana hasn't really caught even semi-regularly since 2013.  For comedy purposes, I was hoping a return to 3B.  But I have a sick sense of humor.

NL is looking top-heavy again. Cubs look like the class of the league again, with the Pirates, Nationals, Cardinals, and Mets in the next tier

Something, something, defending National League Champions, something.

NL is looking top-heavy again. Cubs look like the class of the league again, with the Pirates, Nationals, Cardinals, and Mets in the next tier

Something, something, defending National League Champions, something.

I don't think it's a shot against the Mets to say they look a bit worse then they did going into the playoffs. Real questions with the bats on that team again.

Really, there aren't many teams in the NL that look like they took big steps forward so far this off-season. Cards lost Heyward, gained not much, Pirates have lost some pitching, Dodgers are out Greinke and have nothing to show yet, Nats have stood pat due to all there targets deciding "I'd really much rather go to the Cubs instead, so...", and the Mets haven't accomplished anything yet. It's really only been Chicago, San Fran, and Arizona that have taken steps forward, and the cost Arizona took to take those steps forward is very questionable.