DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

I am a Castro fan, but the Zobrist pick up and Castro deal are moves the make the team better. Not just because Zobrist is more consistent and more versatile, but because of Warren. He's got a lot of upside, and can work either the pen or be a spot starter when needed. His projections are actually scary good, and he's under control for the next three years. Ryan is a complete non-factor, I don't expect him to be on the roster come opening day or last much longer than that. The goal is to get better, that's just what the Cubs did today. They're not done yet either.

So yeah - Jose Fernandez will not be traded as the Marlins are asking for the Moon

According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, the Marlins were working on a trade with the Diamondbacks that would’ve included Patrick Corbin and Dansby Swanson in talks for Fernandez (Twitter link). Beyond that already-steep starting point, the Marlins asked that three other prospects be included in the deal, he adds.

Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Repbulic tweets that the package the D-backs sent to Atlanta to pry Miller away — Swanson, Ender Inciarte and Aaron Blair — “would not have come close” to what the team would’ve needed to acquire Fernandez from Miami, citing D-backs officials.

Similarly, Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports (also on Twitter) that the Marlins asked the Dodgers to include not one or two but all three of Julio Urias, Joc Pederson and Corey Seager in addition to another pair of players. While reports earlier today indicated that L.A. was attempting to get a third team involved to find a creative means of acquiring Fernandez, that price tag seems like such a lofty starting point that it’s tough to even imagine talks becoming serious in nature.

So basically 5 prospects - including your top 3

• Like 1

They dramatically overpaid for Shelby, but I would have rather given up that package than the proposed Fernandez package (and like everyone, I love Fernandez). They would have had a third rotation spot to fill giving up Corbin as opposed to two in the Miller trade, and I don't think Robbie Ray and two of their random arms are a better option than Ray and one of their random arms.

Because a day can't go by at the winter meetings without DiPoto making a trade, the Mariners have acquired Adam Lind from the Brewers for 2 low level prospects. And yesterday they got Evan Scribner from the A's for a low level minor leaguer.

David Hernandez to PHI on  a one year deal, says Rosenthal. He was pretty good filling in for Putz in 2011 and 2012, faltered in 2013 and missed all of last year with the TJ surgery. Didn't look great when he came back this year, but the year off and having to readjust could be to blame.

The Tigers signed Mark Lowe - 2/$11m.

They made an offer to Joakim Soria 3/$24m before Soria signed with KC for $25m.

They are still looking for a left-handed reliever and have denied interest in free agent starter Cliff Lee.

Neil Walker comes to Flushing for Jonathan Niese. I am good with this as the plan B as I like Walker. Of course this means Murph is gone. Hope he gets paid by an AL team to be a DH.

Neil Walker comes to Flushing for Jonathan Niese. I am good with this as the plan B as I like Walker. Of course this means Murph is gone. Hope he gets paid by an AL team to be a DH.

When Neil is healthy, he rakes. It could be a very good deal for the Mets. As a Pirates fan, it feels like a gut punch losing the hometown hero. We really are turning into the NL version of the Rays. They wanna contend but only if they can do it on the cheap.

When Neil is healthy, he rakes. It could be a very good deal for the Mets. As a Pirates fan, it feels like a gut punch losing the hometown hero. We really are turning into the NL version of the Rays. They wanna contend but only if they can do it on the cheap.
One of the reasons I like Walker is because he played for his hometown team (Clemente was his hero IIRC) and he became a star for them. For you if you get good Neisse this will work out for you. If bad Neisse shows up it will be ugly.

re: Walker, it's less "the Pirates are cheap" and more "the Pirates had four guys for three positions not including prospects and he was the most expensive/closest to free agency". Still wonder what they do about first base this year - not sure if Bell is ready.

If Searage can work his magic on Niese, though...man, they'll be in good shape because he's two relatively affordable club options for '17 and '18.

Oh, and the Tigers got their lefty - Justin Wilson from the Yankees.

Ken Giles to Houston looks close as well.

Man, the Heyward signing has all the hallmarks of your typical big free agent signing clusterfuck.

- It's come down to two teams (Cubs and Cards)

- One may be trying to make the other over-commit

- An announcement is expected today

- OH NO! A MYSTERY TEAM!

- The Mystery Team is supposedly the Angels