DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

Okay, let's discuss a Salary Cap. 

A: How do you implement it? Cause right now the Dodgers have a 250 some odd million dollar payroll, and the Marlins payroll isn't even a fifth of that. How do you get those two teams at a comparable level, especially when the Dodgers make serious bank the Marlins are run into the ground.

B: How do you convince the players that a salary cap is whats best for them? Cause even with the fucking insane salaries right now, the owners still make tons of money, because TV rights for a sport that has 162 games a season is gigantic. Any salary cap is just maximizing how much the teams can make while making the players get pennies on the dollar.

C: Small market teams "get fucked" when teams leave, yet you just suggested all teams lose rights of players after one year and then enter fucking free agency. Pick a side of the argument and stick to it.

Regarding your C point, how many MLB rookies do you think would get big money deals from large market teams? Guys like Kris Bryant and Mookie Betts don't come along every day. Most rookies would probably get a multi-year re-up from their current team anyway. Not many teams will blow their load on a guy with a year or two of experience and an unproven track record in the big leagues.

Small market teams are always going to be on the short end of the stick in baseball. As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I have no particular rooting interest in a small market team. If I did, I might feel more passionate about this. I can see both sides of the argument. I do think that binding players for as long as they are is a tad bit excessive. 

Teams are signing 16 year old prospects to 10 million dollar contracts right now. Do you honestly think teams wouldn't sign 23 year olds off even a pretty good rookie season to 100 million dollar contracts? Fucking Samardzija just got a 90 million dollar contract after leading the AL in Homers allowed. Everyone is DESPERATE to get even a few years of a good player, even signing 30 year olds teams know for a fact are entering the downside of there career. If Bryant, Correa, Lindor, Russell, Thor, or Rodon entered free agency right now, they'd be getting well over 100 million. 

A: How do you implement it? Cause right now the Dodgers have a 250 some odd million dollar payroll, and the Marlins payroll isn't even a fifth of that. How do you get those two teams at a comparable level, especially when the Dodgers make serious bank the Marlins are run into the ground.

B: How do you convince the players that a salary cap is whats best for them? Cause even with the fucking insane salaries right now, the owners still make tons of money, because TV rights for a sport that has 162 games a season is gigantic. Any salary cap is just maximizing how much the teams can make while making the players get pennies on the dollar.

C: Small market teams "get fucked" when teams leave, yet you just suggested all teams lose rights of players after one year and then enter fucking free agency. Pick a side of the argument and stick to it.

Regarding your C point, how many MLB rookies do you think would get big money deals from large market teams? Guys like Kris Bryant and Mookie Betts don't come along every day. Most rookies would probably get a multi-year re-up from their current team anyway. Not many teams will blow their load on a guy with a year or two of experience and an unproven track record in the big leagues.

Small market teams are always going to be on the short end of the stick in baseball. As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I have no particular rooting interest in a small market team. If I did, I might feel more passionate about this. I can see both sides of the argument. I do think that binding players for as long as they are is a tad bit excessive. 

Teams are signing 16 year old prospects to 10 million dollar contracts right now. Do you honestly think teams wouldn't sign 23 year olds off even a pretty good rookie season to 100 million dollar contracts? Fucking Samardzija just got a 90 million dollar contract after leading the AL in Homers allowed. Everyone is DESPERATE to get even a few years of a good player, even signing 30 year olds teams know for a fact are entering the downside of there career. If Bryant, Correa, Lindor, Russell, Thor, or Rodon entered free agency right now, they'd be getting well over 100 million. 

You're probably right. I didn't really think that one through. 

Oh man. Seeing stuff like what the Cubs did was "super fucking shady" makes me laugh. I almost want to laugh even harder when people look directly to KB as if he's the one pulling the strings. It's 100% Boras. Kris is going to get paid no matter what, regardless of the additional year of team control. Theo and Jed played this completely by the book. Everyone gives a shit now all of a sudden because in this instance it was the NL RoY and MVP candidate. Spare me the righteous indignation and acting like the Cubs are such bad guys.

And answer me this...what were the Cubs supposed to do in this scenario? Hmm? Be real nice guys and say, "you know what, let's get this party started now and to hell with the extra year!" What a stupid business move. Meanwhile, how many teams has Scott Boras milked for hundreds of millions of dollars on what is a roll of the dice for any team?

If you want things to be different going forward, and it likely won't be, then that's one thing. Some of the other things being said is something else entirely.

Lots of people cared in past years about this stuff. They also cared before Bryant was ever called up, not just when he won the ROY.

Only reason you're barking right now is because it was your Cubs being shady and not somebody else.

• Like 1

The biggest benefit for a salary cap now is that hockey and basketball have shown how to get the salary cap passed is  "In addition to the salary cap, whether it's a hard cap or a soft cap, you also have to institute a hard salary FLOOR as well". Right there, that would fix most of the biggest problems to lead to a salary cap:

Teams like the Dodgers can pay that obscene payroll, but teams like the Marlins nickel and dime the entire roster, put the bare minimum on the field, and make their money by pocketing the revenue sharing that comes in.  It'd be relatively easier to take a salary cap mode if it's changed to "The salary cap is officially $200 million dollars (only the Dodgers and Yankees would have risen above 200 million last year)...BUT there's also a hard salary floor of $100 million (only eight teams were under $100 million last year) ", then suddenly the big cap problems are eliminated. And if it means the big market teams are forced to make huge cuts on their roster in big trades for magic beans to get under the cap, while sending top-tier players to the small-market teams that they're required to run with so they can spend enough money to make the floor...we'll manage.

• Like 2

There are record revenues in baseball for I believe the 13th straight year.

...so lets implement a cap to restrict player wages even though the owners are making more money than ever.

The only way the players would end up in a good place is if the floor is ludicrously high.

• Like 1

Lots of people cared in past years about this stuff. They also cared before Bryant was ever called up, not just when he won the ROY.

Only reason you're barking right now is because it was your Cubs being shady and not somebody else.

That's a bunch of bullshit. The only reason I'm "barking" now is because people are talking about it now and making this into a way bigger deal than this actually is, just like people did when he was called up, just like people did when Boras threatened this back in May or June. Yes, I should just idly sit by and say nothing to the stream of nonsense coming out of people looking for a button to push. 

The Cubs are being shady...please. They conducted their business by the book, within the rules, just like any other team has done in the past, and there's more of a roar about it this time, for this player, because of the team and the player. Tell me, this year, who is going to die on a hill for Maikel Franco, making as much noise for him as they are for KB? No one, that's who, because the Phillies sucked and the Cubs were in the NLCS.

Also, Jason Motte went to the pay windah. 2 years, $10 million from the Rockies. Hoo boy. I'm glad he and his majestic beard are getting paid, but that is not going to work out well in Colorado.

And the Cubs are un-officially in on Heyward. Or they're not. And the Cards are likely in stealth mode trying to keep him. Or they're not. Who the hell knows.

Jayson Stark ✔ @jaysonst

Sources say Yankees have also been in touch with Marlins about Jose Fernandez. And Yanks, Dodgers & Dbacks all doing background work on him

I am just putting this here as a reminder of the time I could have gotten rid of all my pants

Jayson Stark ✔ @jaysonst

Sources say Yankees have also been in touch with Marlins about Jose Fernandez. And Yanks, Dodgers & Dbacks all doing background work on him

I am just putting this here as a reminder of the time I could have gotten rid of all my pants

tumblr_mq9isn4tC81qcf2rso2_400.gif

Jayson Stark ✔ @jaysonst

I like this for the Yankees as long as Andrew Miller is not involved.

You should take a Miller+ swap for Fernandez all day, every day. Thing is, Andrew Miller is getting paid MBL money, so the Marlins will not want to touch that.

I wouldn't trust Dellin Betances enough to be the closer. He gets himself into a fair amount of jams. His horrible spring training last year cost him the closer job.

I considered Miller's contract and it puts me at ease that he makes more than the Marlins would want to take on.

I just saw something on Twitter saying that LAD is the favorite for Fernandez should they be willing to part with Urias, Seager "and more". I don't think I could justify obliterating the top end of the farm for Fernandez. He would be a good get, but not at the cost of blowing up what is looking to be the beginnings of a return to the glory years for the Dodgers system.

Saying you wouldn't give up Andrew Miller for Jose Fernandez is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen posted on this board.

I don't trust Betances enough in the closer role. The bullpen would be considerably weaker without Miller. I want Jose Fernandez on the Yankees. I just hope it can be done without giving up Miller, that's all.