DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

Straight ridiculous. no word on who the prospects are, only that it isn't Seager and Urias. My guess is Jose De Leon and maybe Cody Bellinger?

Heyman says they also didn't give up De Leon

So now I am just wondering if the bought the Reds dinner first before bending them over

Wow. Pretty weird that CIN wouldn't deal him at any price 4 months ago, now let him slide for less than anything other than absolute top end prospects. I'm seeing now that Peraza could be involved, so that's not a bad pick, especially if they are also looking to offload BP. Although, Phillips had a pretty good goddamn year in 2015 on both sides of the ball.

With Chapman now finally spoken for, PHI should be able to get a pretty good haul for Giles, should they decide to pull the trigger on dealing him.

Straight ridiculous. no word on who the prospects are, only that it isn't Seager and Urias. My guess is Jose De Leon and maybe Cody Bellinger?

Heyman says they also didn't give up De Leon

So now I am just wondering if the bought the Reds dinner first before bending them over

Chapman is a FA after this year. Assuming the Dodgers don't extend him, I can sort of understand not giving up your tippy top elite prospects for a one year rental.

They were idiots for holding on to him at the deadline tho. You always get overpays then as opposed to during the Hot Stove.

Papelbon files grievance vs Nats

He's claiming he should have gotten paid for the four games he was suspended for going whackjob on Bryce Harper. Says there's no precedent for withholding salary during team-imposed suspensions.

If the team can't withhold your salary during a suspension, exactly what would the point be in having the suspension at all?

So apparently the Reds are telling teams that Chapman has yet to be traded and the Dodgers are all WTF?

2:33pm: ESPN’s Jayson Stark tweets that the Reds are now telling other clubs no trade for Chapman has been agreed upon. Stark certainly implies that the Dodgers believed a trade to be done, adding: “I don’t think [the] Dodgers agree.”

2:13pm: The trade is not yet finished, according to MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon (links to Twitter). Not only that, but Sheldon hears that there are other clubs involved who could swoop in and acquire Chapman at the last minute.

Nothing yet on Iwakuma that I've seen. I'd assume something like $45MM total.

re: Madson. This is the same Oakland team that gave Rich Hill $6 million guaranteed based on what, six good starts to close the year? I mean, I know their pitching staff blew last year, but this seems...odd. Not much in the way of long-term commitments, buuuuuuuuuuuut....

It was $45 for Iwakuma. Either that means I'm good at my job or I spend too much time doing my job.

Kris Bryant and Maikel Franco file grievances in re: to the way their call-ups were handled to minimize service time so as to extend team control years.

Rosenthal said on MLB Network that he doesn't see any reason to retract the statement he made about the Chapman deal being done, obviously CIN thinks otherwise. I wonder if AZ is one of the other teams in the mix, they were real high on trying to get him at the deadline.

Kris Bryant and Maikel Franco file grievances in re: to the way their call-ups were handled to minimize service time so as to extend team control

Everybody knows that Bryant was called up late for exactly that reason (not familiar with the other guy, can't comment on him). And obviously it was not done in good faith. Does that violate the CBA? I don't know. Given that it pretty clearly wasn't in good faith, I would think it does violate the contract. Wasn't Bryant called up like the day after the deadline or something?

Kris Bryant and Maikel Franco file grievances in re: to the way their call-ups were handled to minimize service time so as to extend team control

Everybody knows that Bryant was called up late for exactly that reason (not familiar with the other guy, can't comment on him). And obviously it was not done in good faith. Does that violate the CBA? I don't know. Given that it pretty clearly wasn't in good faith, I would think it does violate the contract. Wasn't Bryant called up like the day after the deadline or something?

Bryant clocked 171 days of service time this year, falling one day short of a full year. Super fucking shady on the Cubs part, but they may be able to get around it by making the case that because Mike Olt was healthy, delaying Bryant was in the best interests of the club for reasons unrelated to service time and club control. Their rap at the time was that his glove needed work, and was the reason behind the demotion.

I am not super familiar with PHI, but I think Franco is looked at as a big part of their youth movement going forward, and there was some weirdness where they optioned Cody Asche to AAA, but didn't recall Franco until a few days later. Someone with some more insight into that club would have to lay out the situation any further than that.

Also, Bryant filed his grievance in April, so the kid knew he was being fucked right from the jump.  Franco's came later on, but I didn't see it mentioned as to when it was done.

And in regards to the grievances - Papelbon's was filed back in Sept by the PA and the Nats already knew about it and were actually expecting it.

Local media says they plan on handling like a club matter in Spring Training

....why? In that case, who cares about a draft, and any small market team is permanently fucked.

Small market teams get fucked when these guys leave in their prime. Short of going to a salary cap, there's nothing to help small market teams. Measures like this just distract from the fact that if you want to help small market teams, institute a salary cap. 

The current setup encourages things like what the Cubs did to Bryant. Maybe do what elizium suggested and just start the clock with your first season instead of an arbitrary date. 

Okay, let's discuss a Salary Cap. 

A: How do you implement it? Cause right now the Dodgers have a 250 some odd million dollar payroll, and the Marlins payroll isn't even a fifth of that. How do you get those two teams at a comparable level, especially when the Dodgers make serious bank the Marlins are run into the ground.

B: How do you convince the players that a salary cap is whats best for them? Cause even with the fucking insane salaries right now, the owners still make tons of money, because TV rights for a sport that has 162 games a season is gigantic. Any salary cap is just maximizing how much the teams can make while making the players get pennies on the dollar.

C: Small market teams "get fucked" when teams leave, yet you just suggested all teams lose rights of players after one year and then enter fucking free agency. Pick a side of the argument and stick to it.

Okay, let's discuss a Salary Cap. 

A: How do you implement it? Cause right now the Dodgers have a 250 some odd million dollar payroll, and the Marlins payroll isn't even a fifth of that. How do you get those two teams at a comparable level, especially when the Dodgers make serious bank the Marlins are run into the ground.

B: How do you convince the players that a salary cap is whats best for them? Cause even with the fucking insane salaries right now, the owners still make tons of money, because TV rights for a sport that has 162 games a season is gigantic. Any salary cap is just maximizing how much the teams can make while making the players get pennies on the dollar.

C: Small market teams "get fucked" when teams leave, yet you just suggested all teams lose rights of players after one year and then enter fucking free agency. Pick a side of the argument and stick to it.

Regarding your C point, how many MLB rookies do you think would get big money deals from large market teams? Guys like Kris Bryant and Mookie Betts don't come along every day. Most rookies would probably get a multi-year re-up from their current team anyway. Not many teams will blow their load on a guy with a year or two of experience and an unproven track record in the big leagues.

Small market teams are always going to be on the short end of the stick in baseball. As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I have no particular rooting interest in a small market team. If I did, I might feel more passionate about this. I can see both sides of the argument. I do think that binding players for as long as they are is a tad bit excessive.