DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

I don't get it either. One arm, Paul Goldschmidt and AJ Pollock does not win you a division. Maybe Archie Bradley is the real deal, but we don't know yet. I am interested to see what Friedman and Zaidi get up to starting on Monday. Ryu probably won't be ready for Opening Day, and McCarthy won't be back until right near the break so the rotation is currently Kershaw, Alex Wood, Anderson and Mike Bolsinger. I have high hopes that Wood is the treasure that folks consider him to be. 

They just saved $200MM over 6 years, how do those dollars get spread around? Kenta Maeda might be an option, I suppose.

As far as the farm, Jharel Cotton is probably MLB ready, but might have more value as a trade piece, Julio Urias isn't ready for the Bigs yet, is now the beginning of the era of Zach Lee? Decent handful of pitching on it's way to the Show soon, their schedules might have gotten accelerated a little bit.

Arizona was a sneaky good team last year, even though they finished under .500. An MVP candidate in Goldy, a very solid (to put it mildly) outfield in Pollock, Peralta, and Inciarte, a rotation that was actually not that bad with Ray, Anderson, and Corbin heading it...I don't think Greinke immediately makes them the favorites in the division, but the West isn't exactly elite right now. The Rockies and Padres will stink. The Dodgers and Giants have plenty of questions. There's still a lot of offseason left to play out, but I wouldn't be shocked if I was picking Arizona in four months.

D-Backs scored a lot of runs last year and appear to be good defensively, I think if they add another pitcher with Greinke they could contend in that division.

Appear is an understatement, lots of good D on that club. Outfield is great, Goldy and Nick Ahmed are both damn good defenders, Aaron Hill can be close to brilliant at times. They need to solve their catching problem, but outside of that, they are a very solid defensive team. 

The pen needs help and if the young arms in the rotation live up to expectations, then they will do some damage in the West. 

And now Samardzija to SFG. I wonder now if Cueto falls to the Dodgers almost by default? Do they take a shot at Mike Leake? 

So glad that we have a Murderer's Row of starting pitching locked up for the next few years. Now we just need some bats because our window is officially opened.

Ryan Madson got 3/$22 from Oakland (lol).

Iwakuma got three years from the Dodgers.

Utley back to LAD on a one-year, $7 million deal.

Salty to the Tigers for the league minimum (thanks, Marlins!). They also signed BIG PELF for I believe 2/$16.

Has there been an announcement on $ for Iwakuma? Everywhere I have seen so far has only made mention of the years, not dollars. With Utley back in the fold, I suppose that means that they will let Kendrick walk away, and Peraza is the 2B of the future for now.

The interest in Madson really surprises me, I get the feeling like there can't be much mileage left on that elbow. And to go from 850K to $7MM per is just insane.

Nothing yet on Iwakuma that I've seen. I'd assume something like $45MM total.

re: Madson. This is the same Oakland team that gave Rich Hill $6 million guaranteed based on what, six good starts to close the year? I mean, I know their pitching staff blew last year, but this seems...odd. Not much in the way of long-term commitments, buuuuuuuuuuuut....

I can't believe Rich Hill is still in MLB.

Well, he just came back late last year and made six starts with Boston. We'll see how long he can hold up.

He pitched really well actually. I wasn't sad to see him leave Boston again but not surprised that someone picked him up.

I can't believe Rich Hill is still in MLB.

It's a great story, I always liked him when he was with the Cubs and I'm happy to see he's at least making one more go of it; and succeeding no less.

In Cubs news, lots of rumors making the rounds. Heyward remains the golden goose. I'd love to have him, but I'm not sure if they'll offer what he wants. Supposedly we're looking for a top level closer to trade for, which is interesting and not a move I fully support. Then there's the talks with the Rays that involve Javy Baez, other unnamed prospects and young, cost controlled pitching from the Rays. Honestly, after seeing Baez mature last year and do what he seems to always do and adjust to a level after struggling initially the return for him better be big.

The Dodgers have struck a deal to acquire one of the game’s most elite bullpen arms, Aroldis Chapman, from the Reds in exchange for a pair of prospects, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Rosenthal adds that the Dodgers’ plan is to keep both Chapman and Kenley Jansen, who instantly team to become one of the game’s most dominant late-inning duos (if not the most dominant late-inning duo). The trade is pending medical reviews.

Straight ridiculous. no word on who the prospects are, only that it isn't Seager and Urias. My guess is Jose De Leon and maybe Cody Bellinger?

Pretty easy to think that they will use them in matchup situations from night to night and alternate closing / setup roles. Who knows how well it will work out, but that leaky bullpen just improved more than a little bit.

Also, Gabe Kapler was announced as their new 1B coach.