DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

Specifics on the Zimmermann deal...per Trade Rumors:

- 3 year, full no-trade

- And he gets $18MM/year for 2016 and 2017, $24MM in 2018, and $25MM/year for 2019 and 2020.

I mean, I am crazy and I like Zimmermann a whole lot but...not that much.

Your logic is essentially "I don't think this guy is too great, so I'm willing to give you a shitty contract and some cash along with maybe a top five prospect in our system for him".

The Braves are demanding a player like Pederson, Ozuna, Severino, or Pollock as *part* of the return for Miller. I think you're vastly underestimating how good he is.

I don't think I am underestimating his value, in his three full years he has shown to be pretty much what I stated, a solid number three guy or a lower end number two in some rotations.

I feel like ATL is asking for top flight guys because they are seeing the interest Miller is generating. I would be super surprised to see a deal go down with a straight swap for any of the guys I have seen mentioned. Miller is a good talent, for sure but I don't think that the Braves will get this kind of return on him unless Price and Greinke are both already off the table.

Filed under 'marlins lol'

Tommy Hutton, the Marlins TV color announcer since 1996, has been fired by Miami.  Barry Jackson of the Herald reports it was because the organization felt he was 'too negative.'

I'm going to watch videos of puppies learning how to descend stairs for the rest of the day, excuse me. 

WUei5Yb.gif

Your logic is essentially "I don't think this guy is too great, so I'm willing to give you a shitty contract and some cash along with maybe a top five prospect in our system for him".

The Braves are demanding a player like Pederson, Ozuna, Severino, or Pollock as *part* of the return for Miller. I think you're vastly underestimating how good he is.

I don't think I am underestimating his value, in his three full years he has shown to be pretty much what I stated, a solid number three guy or a lower end number two in some rotations.

I feel like ATL is asking for top flight guys because they are seeing the interest Miller is generating. I would be super surprised to see a deal go down with a straight swap for any of the guys I have seen mentioned. Miller is a good talent, for sure but I don't think that the Braves will get this kind of return on him unless Price and Greinke are both already off the table.

He turned 25 in October. You're also paying for potential there.

And it's looking like a Soler-Miller deal is becoming more and more realistic. Bah gawd.

Filed under 'marlins lol'

Tommy Hutton, the Marlins TV color announcer since 1996, has been fired by Miami. Barry Jackson of the Herald reports it was because the organization felt he was 'too negative.'

I'm going to watch videos of puppies learning how to descend stairs for the rest of the day, excuse me.

WUei5Yb.gif

It sounds like the Marlins front office uses the same business model as WWE. What a tag team Vince McMahon and Jeffrey Loria would make.

Don't like Soler for Miller. Has the best swing out of all the youngsters the Cubs have, a cannon arm, and a baseball acumen where you can see him easily picking up on changes they want him to make, etc. Of all the Cubs youngsters the upside with him is the highest, and if they were to move someone I'd rather have it be Schwarber who could bring in a ton from an AL team.

Rosenthal just tweeted that Price's record $$ by AAV might not last for long, he thinks Greinke deal is imminent. Figures it to be LAD or SFG.

Not really informative, but interesting nonetheless.

Edited by grilledcheese

Side little comment

Both Rosenthal and Jon Heyman made a point to state that the Boston Globe had the story first.

I feel like - in general - the baseball guys tend to do a better job about that at least the football guys

That's a lot of money for one pitcher, but good for him. I hope he never makes the playoffs in Boston, but he can pitch great against everyone but Toronto. :)

Career 16-2 with a 2.41 in 145 IP against the Jays, so you may not get that wish.

Yeah he absolutely tortured the Jays with Tampa. It was like an automatic loss. I really waned him to go to Chicago where he'd be far away, at least.

Also, apparently the Jays didn't even extend Price a token contract offer, which is frankly from my perspective more than a little ridiculous and embarrassing. At least fake an effort.