DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

Does Rogers have a huge stake in the Canadian mobile market too? Or is that some thing through their cable junk as well.

The Canadian mobile market is basically a Big Three with Rogers, Telus, and Bell. Rogers and Bell both also own massive TV conglomerates, Rogers with Sportsnet and Bell with TSN as far as sports goes.

Canada has some wacky "protect Canadian company" rules that I get why they exist given who we've got to the south but they really don't do a ton for consumers in terms of price controls.

The Tigers are in such payroll hell in the future that they might as well dig themselves even deeper and hope everyone can stay glued together.

But hey, maybe Jordan Zimmermann will help Justin Verlander pitch like an ace again, and will help Anibal Sanchez stay healthy, and will help Detroit's perennially awful bullpen not suck!

Marc Anthony (the singer and former Mr. Jennifer Lopez) has opened a sports wing of its entertainment company and their first client is Aroldis Chapman.

Sadly they actual have real agents (Barry Praver and Scott Shapiro) who will handle the sports side.

Talk out of ATL is that there is a pretty big market for Shelby Miller, both LAD and SFG have inquired and apparently ATL was asking for Joc Pederson in return, no idea if there were any sort of names kicked around in the talks with SF.

Pederson seems like a pretty steep price for a guy that has shown to be about an average pitcher on pretty much every facet of the position. If I were in the conversation to deal an OF, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the youngest, cheapest and best defender of my saleable assets.

Granted, Carl Crawford for Shelby Miller is the kind of deal that gets you laughed at, but Ethier plus a prospect or two might be the kind of thing that could work.

Talk out of ATL is that there is a pretty big market for Shelby Miller, both LAD and SFG have inquired and apparently ATL was asking for Joc Pederson in return, no idea if there were any sort of names kicked around in the talks with SF.

Pederson seems like a pretty steep price for a guy that has shown to be about an average pitcher on pretty much every facet of the position. If I were in the conversation to deal an OF, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the youngest, cheapest and best defender of my saleable assets.

Granted, Carl Crawford for Shelby Miller is the kind of deal that gets you laughed at, but Ethier plus a prospect or two might be the kind of thing that could work.

Ethier would get you laughed at just as hard.

• Like 1

Pederson seems like a pretty steep price for a guy that has shown to be about an average pitcher on pretty much every facet of the position. If I were in the conversation to deal an OF, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the youngest, cheapest and best defender of my saleable assets.

The Yankees have also inquired about Shelby Miller and Atlanta is asking for Luis Severino in return.

I love Barry, but this is gonna be one of those Wayne-Gretzky-as-coach situations, where he's just going to get frustrated that he can't teach people to be Barry Bonds.

The best players are always the worst coaches. For them, the sport comes so naturally that they can't break down the steps needed to become good.

I leave for one week, and all you guys  can talk about is dolphin phallus and copulation.  

I am glad I didn't take the wifi package on my cruise.  

The Bonds deal from what I understand is a hitting 'consultant'.  But whatever.  

Ethier would get you laughed at just as hard.

I could see Andre plus De Leon or Zach Lee plus some $$ to cover Ethier's deal to bring in a middle ground MLB SP, which is what Miller is and should continue to be. 

I don't disagree that neither CC or Andre is particularly attractive on their own, but LAD has got some decent depth in the farm beyond Urias, Jharel Cotton or Cody Bellinger could be attractive to a team like ATL that isn't really going to be in the upper division anytime soon.

Your logic is essentially "I don't think this guy is too great, so I'm willing to give you a shitty contract and some cash along with maybe a top five prospect in our system for him".

The Braves are demanding a player like Pederson, Ozuna, Severino, or Pollock as *part* of the return for Miller. I think you're vastly underestimating how good he is.