DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

I agree completely, which is why I think he will probably take the QO. In listening to him talk in interviews, he has always been pretty up front about his frustration with the constant injury throughout his career. Obviously, if someone offers him 3 at $45MM, he's not going to turn it down, but I have gotten the feeling from him that he understands his limitations and might want another healthy year under his belt to prove to himself that it wasn't just a fluke. 

He has also been pretty vocal about how he has enjoyed his time in LA so far, so that could be a factor as well,

Mccown reporting a source told him Jays payroll will go down next year.

Is it the same source that told him last week it was going up to $150 million this year.  And the same source that told him Anthopoulous was coming back, and told him John Gibbons was going to be fired etc.  McCown is a good broadcaster that knows little about sports and he is perfectly fine with that

So Brian Cashman has been busy today

OFFICIAL: #MNTwins acquire C John Ryan Murphy (@JRMurphy513) from #Yankees for OF Aaron Hicks. 

The Padres have struck a deal to acquire infielder Jose Pirela from the Yankees, Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports on Twitter. New York will add minor league righty Ronald Herrera in return.

My Mom is so pissed that JRM got traded. (I think she has liked every back up catcher for the last decade)

I am trying to explain to her how it is actually good for him since he can actually play now

EDIT - Text I just got "Don't care. He is such a cutie"

My Mom is out of control

• Like 2

The Marlins traded RHP Trevor Williams (a top 5 prospect) to Pittsburgh for some guy named Richard Mitchell, who apparently is as good at pitching as I am.  

It came out yesterday that the trade was compensation for the fish hiring Jim Benedict as their new VP of pitching.  

Well to be fair - that was the 2nd executive the Marlins had poached from the Pirates this offseason

The Pirates, according to Stark, demanded some form of compensation for allowing Benedict to depart, and the highly touted Williams was determined to be a fitting return. As Stark explains, the Pirates initially balked at the idea of allowing Benedict to join the Marlins because he was still under contract and because they’d already let one executive, Marc Delpiano, take a position with Miami this offseason. Stark spoke to execs from multiple clubs that explained its common within the industry to let an exec depart for a better opportunity with a new club, but allowing a second executive to join that same club typically doesn’t fly. As such, the two sides worked out this swap as a means of compensation.

Andrelton Simmons dealt to Anaheim. The only name I have seen mentioned going to ATL is Erick Aybar.

Newcomb, Ellis, Aybar and $3MM to ATL. Apparently the rap is that ATL is afraid that Simmons offense will continue to regress as he gets more expensive.

Edited by grilledcheese

Reports are coming out that Matt Wieters will accept the Os QO

Makes sense. He's coming off an injury plagued season. He'll stay healthy this year, have a big season, then cash in and bolt Baltimore.
Make that two injury-plagued seasons. He's played ~100 games total the last two years.

And for that he got $15.8m. I don't understand baseball economics.

Makes sense. He's coming off an injury plagued season. He'll stay healthy this year, have a big season, then cash in and bolt Baltimore.
Make that two injury-plagued seasons. He's played ~100 games total the last two years.

Don't feel bad, the only people that do wear straight jackets. . . .and Scott Boras.

Look at the OPS for the Catchers on the Mariners this year. That might explain it a bit.