DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

I wrote up a bunch of Dusty Baker shit last night, but here are the fun bullet points.

-19-26 career playoff record, which is not good

-Outside of his 2002/03 playoff runs, his career playoff record is 3-13

-One pennant, which he spectacularly fucked up.

-Had FIVE MVP seasons on his teams (Bonds '93/'01/'02, Kent '00, Votto '10), missed the playoffs in two of those years, bounced in the NLDS in another two

-Hasn't made it to the NLCS since 2003.

-Hell, he's only won playoff series in 2002 and 2003.

-Finished under .500 in six of his last eight seasons on the bench

-The only managers to manage more games than him and have won one or zero pennants? Gene Mauch and Lou Piniella. Piniella is actually a decent enough comparison to Baker if you dig deep

In short - he can maybe get you to the playoffs, but hasn't done a damn thing once he gets there.

GOOD LUCK NATIONALS!

I wrote up a bunch of Dusty Baker shit last night, but here are the fun bullet points.

-The only managers to manage more games than him and have won one or zero pennants? Gene Mauch and Lou Piniella. Piniella is actually a decent enough comparison to Baker if you dig deep

In short - he can maybe get you to the playoffs, but hasn't done a damn thing once he gets there.

GOOD LUCK NATIONALS!

Umm...Lou Piniella won a WS with the 90 Reds.  Just saying.

And I assume by pennants, you mean WS.  Since the Giants won the NL pennant in 02.

Even managing a historic Mariners team and a Cubs team that was nearly the best in MLB that season he didn't make much noise in the post-season.

But hey...he made "Look, what do you want me to do" a thing as he constantly repeated that at press conferences.

Yes? Winning a pennant = representing your league in the World Series.

Piniella won the 1990 pennant and WS with the Reds, and never won another pennant again.

Got it.  Didn't see the one in your point.  My bad.  I get what you are saying even if that seems like an arbitrary stat - mostly because lumping Piniella in with Dusty seems so very-very wrong.

Even managing a historic Mariners team and a Cubs team that was nearly the best in MLB that season he didn't make much noise in the post-season.

But hey...he made "Look, what do you want me to do" a thing as he constantly repeated that at press conferences.

Well, in fairness, the 3 rounds of playoffs is a tough thing and getting through that isn't on the manager nearly as much the run is a matter of luck, health, roster construction and getting hot at the right time.

I'm not saying Piniella does not deserve criticism for not winning a pennant with Seattle and the Cubs.  But I think we're going to see what we perceive as good managers fail more in the postseason as the 3 rounds continue.

Sure, and that's a fair point - I mean, Bobby Cox and John McGraw have losing records in the playoffs and no one holds that against them.

Piniella, like Baker, had some great teams he couldn't get over the hump. It happens. But when it happens so frequently with one manager? Eh, I think it reflects a bit on them instead of just "shit happens".

Back to Dusty for a minute. Even if you ignore the pennants, and winning percentage, and all that shit, he's won a total of three playoff series in his career. It's not like he's coming up "just short" in all of these other seasons.

But hey, regular season success and flopping in the playoffs? I guess he really is a perfect successor to Johnson and Williams.

Oh trust me.  I am not a Dusty defender. But I think he has his advantages and I think his one main selling point, in being able to handle a clubhouse, is a plus for him as Nats manager.

That said, I wouldn't want him touching a team for which I was a fan.  But that is because I think he is incredibly mediocre when it comes to managing a game.

But hey MLB is recycling mediocre black managers soooo....progress?

What's the point of hiring a manager at a 1 or even a 2 year deal? Are they waiting for someone else to become available?

Pretty much, yeah. It's a total we don't have any better ideas at the moment and we don't want to get stuck paying you for another 2 or 3 years after you get fired move.

Who the hell knows what this team is going to look like in the next year or two. Other than Scherzer and Werth, aren't most of their player's contracts done after this year and next?

Medioce, Phil. Randolph seemed pretty OK to me - aside from the Mets collapses.

He really only had the one collapse, in 2007. And I don't know that I'd call that a collapse. More like a hot start that inflated expectations. Yeah, they were in first place real late in the year but only because their division was terrible. The Mets were 34-18 but went 54-56 the rest of the way. That's not "a collapse", that's returning to your actual level.

He really only had the one collapse, in 2007. And I don't know that I'd call that a collapse. More like a hot start that inflated expectations. Yeah, they were in first place real late in the year but only because their division was terrible. The Mets were 34-18 but went 54-56 the rest of the way. That's not "a collapse", that's returning to your actual level.
You are aware the previous season saw us win the division with the best record in the league right?

You are aware the previous season saw us win the division with the best record in the league right?

Wow.  Totally blanked on Randolph being fired in the middle of 08.  So yeah.  Collapse, singular.  Not certain how you don't call 07 a collapse.  I mean, I get the concept of the Mets playing over their heads all year then coming back to earth.  But that September...eesh.  It looks painful even now.

Dusty is officially named the Nats manager; two years is the rumor but not announced ("multi-year deal").

Suddenly my post World Series depression has vanished. Thanks Natnals!!!

Wow. Totally blanked on Randolph being fired in the middle of 08. So yeah. Collapse, singular. Not certain how you don't call 07 a collapse. I mean, I get the concept of the Mets playing over their heads all year then coming back to earth. But that September...eesh. It looks painful even now.

They were 14-14 in September, after 15-13 in August and 13-14 in July.

In other words, their September was exactly like their previous two months - "not a collapse".