DVDVR Message Board

Pitchers & Catchers Report 2/17/16

RIPPA

Maybe he was secretly hired to be the GM of the expansion Expos team.

Its odd. People around baseball are dumbstruck that he walked away from a 5 year deal considering there doesn't appear to be a better situation out there. McCown was saying the first meeting with Shapiro didn't go well. Also there is the way little Ted Rogers treated Paul Beeston. In the end AA was a guy whose teams underachieved. And he has had an iffy record finding managers. He built the prospect base but Toronto still lacks in developing their kids

Supposedly, in his first and only meeting w AA and staff, Shapiro strongly criticized them for trading away so many prospects.

Alex denies that now.  Well you have to admire his faith in himself since he walked away from 2-3 million dollars a year for the next 5 years.  If he's smart if Miami calls he needs to hit the call reject button.  Stephent Brunt is pretty much the best sports writer in Toronto has the best take on the situation today

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/anthopoulos-exit-a-product-of-blue-jays-culture-shift/

Supposedly, in his first and only meeting w AA and staff, Shapiro strongly criticized them for trading away so many prospects.

Alex denies that now.  Well you have to admire his faith in himself since he walked away from 2-3 million dollars a year for the next 5 years.  If he's smart if Miami calls he needs to hit the call reject button.  Stephent Brunt is pretty much the best sports writer in Toronto has the best take on the situation today

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/anthopoulos-exit-a-product-of-blue-jays-culture-shift/

Nah, soak Loria for as much up front, and then have some nice paid vacation when he fires you less than half way into the contract. Seriously though, why would anyone go there? Did Mattingly have NO one else call?

They can all come work for cheap in the Brewers GM's new regime. We're open to trading everyone. Ryan Braun for a sack of potatoes or best offer and he had a good year by most measurements even playing through various injuries. We'll give you Matt Garza for free.

re: Anthopolous, Rogers apparently only offered him a two year deal at first, with the second year being their option. They then upped the offer to five with an AA-opt out after one, but by then, it was way too late.

Bruce Arthur wrote a fine piece about the tire fire, essentially implying that Shapiro would have more of a hand in baseball ops than in Cleveland and that AA would have less power. Who in the hell would want a demotion after taking a franchise to their first playoff appearance and ALCS berth in 22 years?

• Like 1

That's what really blows my mind here - if you want to emulate a franchise that has success on the field, there are PLENTY of better options than Cleveland. Since the Indians went to the 2007 ALCS, their attendance has dropped every year minus a one year spike from 2010-2011...which was quickly corrected. Payroll hasn't been outside the bottom ten of the league since 2002. Two playoff appearances since 2002 (Shapiro's first year).

HE'S THE PERFECT MAN FOR A CHEAP OWNERSHIP GROUP!

Andy Weir, the writer of The Martian, was asked if he was a Cubs fan since the main character is a huge Cubs fan: 

"No, I'm not.  I just thought that would be just the thing to make Mark's pathetic situation more pathetic."

• Like 2

Random Things

- Rockies decline the $9 million mutual option on Justin Morneau thus making him a FA

- Daniel Norris announced he had successful surgery for his thyroid cancer and is now considered "cancer free"

Andy Weir, the writer of The Martian, was asked if he was a Cubs fan since the main character is a huge Cubs fan: 

"No, I'm not.  I just thought that would be just the thing to make Mark's pathetic situation more pathetic."

As a Cubs fan, I'd argue it's more about being hopeful in the face of seemingly endless futility. Pathetic is a much more "glass half empty" take on it. :)

• Like 1

I look forward to Shapiro bringing Toronto to the same prominence that he brought Cleveland to.

Compared to what. AA and his 3 successful months out of his 6 year tenure

He was GM of a team in, until this year, arguably the toughest division in baseball. AA has put some very good teams together. Shit happens though, and things don't always break your way. He's had two losing seasons in his tenure as GM and one season where the Jays finished nearly 10 games over .500 and didn't even crack 3rd place in their division.

It's a load of bullshit to look at things like, "he made all of these deals to save his job." No. That's some shit that Jim Hendry did when the team was in the dumps and he still did shit that made no fucking sense to try and save his job, even saying so without specifically stating that. AA tried to put the Jays over the top and it worked. For this season, AA took his shot and it largely worked. How many other teams can say the same thing?

Fuck. Theo and Jed have had ONE winning season the entire time they've been in Chicago. I guess they suck.

I like AA a lot. I think he did an admirable job in Toronto and going with Shaprio is a big misstep. 

Chicago is set-up for a decade of competitive baseball with high end prospects and youngsters at every position. Bautista is going to be 35 next season and wanting a long-ass expensive contract, E3 is in the last year of his deal and Donaldson is going to be 30. Dalton Pompey is just about the only great prospect left, the Blue Jays have sold their future for the present and losing the ALCS in 6 isn't a great trade-off. He set them up for one big shot and it didn't work out. The power offense is still there for another year at least but the pitching could be really ugly, like worse than the first half of the season ugly. He made some moves that I've hated since day 1 and not just because Noah Syndergaard turned out to be a stud.

Positive note: the turf is going to be replaced by 2018 I believe.

I look forward to Shapiro bringing Toronto to the same prominence that he brought Cleveland to.

Compared to what. AA and his 3 successful months out of his 6 year tenure

He was GM of a team in, until this year, arguably the toughest division in baseball. AA has put some very good teams together. Shit happens though, and things don't always break your way. He's had two losing seasons in his tenure as GM and one season where the Jays finished nearly 10 games over .500 and didn't even crack 3rd place in their division.

It's a load of bullshit to look at things like, "he made all of these deals to save his job." No. That's some shit that Jim Hendry did when the team was in the dumps and he still did shit that made no fucking sense to try and save his job, even saying so without specifically stating that. AA tried to put the Jays over the top and it worked. For this season, AA took his shot and it largely worked. How many other teams can say the same thing?

Fuck. Theo and Jed have had ONE winning season the entire time they've been in Chicago. I guess they suck.

I like AA a lot. I think he did an admirable job in Toronto and going with Shaprio is a big misstep.

Its obvious now he didn't make all these deals to save his job. He made them because he knew he wasn't coming back. The Jays are a team that has never had a president that was an actual baseball guy. It is a franchise that lacks structure from rookie ball up. Has Shapiro won a bunch of titles? No but he's a respected guy in the industry. Turn the calendar back to mid July and the majority of Jays fans wanted AA and his boy Gibby gone. In the end he never found enough pitching for this team. But I would prefer the rotation having Syndagard , Descalfini, Norris still here with Yan Gomes catching them and that heavy contract Martin got could have been spent elsewhere

• Like 1