DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Started binge watching New Girl last night. Fuck, this show is hilarious. I've always loved Zooey, but the supporting cast is great too. Especially Schmidt, he's probably my favorite.

Love that show. It starts off innocuously enough, but the longer it goes on, the more the characters show how weird and complex they are. Schmidt is the early MVP, but after a while Winston and Nick both become strong contenders. Slew of great guest stars and cameos as well.

The second season is great television. They falter a bit in season 3 due to not knowing how to deal with the ramifications of season 2, but Season 4 finds the sweet spot again.

I am not sure what to expect with this season. Zooey was pregnant during some of the filming, and it sounds like they've had to write around it.

Jake Johnson and Max Greenfield really shine in the series. I think Winston overall has become too quirky though.

Started binge watching New Girl last night. Fuck, this show is hilarious. I've always loved Zooey, but the supporting cast is great too. Especially Schmidt, he's probably my favorite.

Love that show. It starts off innocuously enough, but the longer it goes on, the more the characters show how weird and complex they are. Schmidt is the early MVP, but after a while Winston and Nick both become strong contenders. Slew of great guest stars and cameos as well.

The second season is great television. They falter a bit in season 3 due to not knowing how to deal with the ramifications of season 2, but Season 4 finds the sweet spot again.

I am not sure what to expect with this season. Zooey was pregnant during some of the filming, and it sounds like they've had to write around it.

Jake Johnson and Max Greenfield really shine in the series. I think Winston overall has become too quirky though.

It sucks having to wait til January for new episodes, I still haven't seen all of season 4, waiting for it to pop up on Netflix. I can see them going overboard with Winston's weirdness, maybe I have yet to get to that point in the series. Coach provides a good balance to the idiosyncrasies of the rest of them, I hope he sticks around.

Apparently Yahoo lost like $45 million this year on original content like Community.

Gotta wonder if they might want to get out of the original programming business soon. 

They only did 3 shows, and two of them were decent. They just couldn't figure out how to monetize them. Also, their functionality for Yahoo!Screen was crap.

Eh, maybe it's like the WWE network and they have to suffer some start up cost losses before the cash starts flowing?

I'm not sure of the financial logistics here, but it seems odd that virtually everyone can make money out of this and they can't. 

And their advertising was mostly one commercial at the beginning and sidebars if you watched it on the website. That and the Community Honda episode. I didn't watch their football series, but Community was decent and Other Space was quite good.

The discussion last week of syndi SF and action shows of the 90s has me watching the Highlander pilot for the first time. I was a regular watcher from about halfway through season 1 thru the end of S3, but I've never seen this before.

1) Richard Moll seems to be trying too hard to be Clancy Brown, which is a shame because Richard Moll is his own kind of awesome.

2) I wish I didn't know what happens to Richie after I quit watching.

Now caught up on every episode of You're The Worst. Wow. The second season doesn't go at the same pace narrative wise, but that makes sense -- the whole first season was about two people who hate (or, really, fear) relationships and commitment finding each other and figuring it out. The second season's main plot has largely been driven by a war veteran with PTSD gaining self confidence via improv comedy of all things. But this past episode was insanely funny and also had the slow burn pay off and became probably the most poignant and honest look at what clinical depression actually looks and sounds like.

Great TV show.

Going through "You're The Worst" based upon recommendations here (thanks guys), and what the hell is the costume designer's obsession with having Gretchen and the other girls wear multiple slutty necklaces like white trash trailer park women?

Because they're kinda trashy?

I like the first season of You're the Worst more than 2nd so far, but the first ended on a strong note and 2nd has been improving.

I gave Difficult People a shot a few weeks back, Gregg.  I don't dislike it, but I don't have a big urge to finish it.  I'm a pop culture nerd so I get most of their references and punchlines so that wasn't an issue.  I'm not a big sitcom guy, and the show's storylines felt too close to one.  I'll probably end up finishing it though, since it's only 30 minutes.  That's a huge advantage going for it.  I actually like "Billy on the Street" here too.  I know some people can't stand his schtick, but I think this is the right role for him.

Will the producers of The View PLEASE fire Raven Symone and her stupid hair already?  Twice when interviewing Bernie Sanders, she referred to herself as a "spokesman for her generation"

If the brainless Raven Symone really is the spokesperson for Millennials, than our country is truly fucked come 20 years from now when Millennials come to control the House and Senate.

Based on a recommendation from The Wife I watched the first 2 episodes of Jane The Virgin. I liked it well enough to get through the next 6 episodes

James

This is what I was yelling about a couple of pages ago. Everyone needs to give Jane a shot

• Like 1

Based on a recommendation from The Wife I watched the first 2 episodes of Jane The Virgin. I liked it well enough to get through the next 6 episodes

James

This is what I was yelling about a couple of pages ago. Everyone needs to give Jane a shot

I'm hip deep in at episode 15. Its such a great show that balances genuine family dramedy with insane telenovella stereotypes. It's like a collapsing sun that makes a black hole that brings to the other side of time and space...maybe not but it is still fuckin worth watching

James

James

So to speak. :)

GODDAM YOU PEOPLE~!

As if I don't have enough shit on my personal queue, based on all of your recommendations I decided to give "You're The Worst" a shot.

Fuck... 2 episodes in and I'm digging it the most

James