DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The only interesting character in The Bastard Executioner so far is the scheming horny Chamberlain. The main character is pretty boring as are his friends and I don't really care about the revolution plot or Katy Sagal and Kurt Sutter being weird pagans/Knights Templar/seraphim in the woods.

Hey - remember when y'all mocked Jane the Virgin after reading the show description and were all "IT WILL BE CANCELLED AFTER ONE EPISODE!!!"

Y'all were fucking stupid

(BTW - it just hit Netflix streaming)

Minority Report has been cut from 13 to 10 episodes--not officially cancelled, but next-best-thing. Not a shock; of all the things they could do with that universe (among which the best choice would be "leave the film to stand on its own"), they made a shitty procedural.

I watched the second episode just to see Spinelli (actor from "General Hospital") and it was honestly one of the worst shows I've seen in years. The level of acting, goofy dialogue, and terrible production values reminded me of one of those cheesy syndicated sci fi shows from the 90s (Cleopatra 2525! Mutant X!). 

The Steven Spielberg TV Curse is very very real.

I'd never heard of Cleopatra 2525, but it sounded potentially fun (despite your comments), so I had to look it up. The first thing I noticed: 'Executive Producer: Sam Raimi'. All right.

Then, the first sentence of the summary: 'When complications arise during her breast augmentation surgery, 20th-century exotic dancer Cleo (Jennifer Sky) is put into suspended animation.'

I stopped reading right there. I think I'd just die of laughter if I continued.

Wasnt Cleopatra 2525 part of that "action pack" with Xena and Hercules and the pirate show with Bruce Campbell? So many of those shows from that era: all those plus Time Trax, Babylon 5, etc.

Presumably, any scifi show with "2525" is going to be seen, intended or not, because of the Zager and Evans song, as camp.

I do 't remember Xena or Hercules being part of the Action Pack, but they might have been. Same producer. I do recall Cleopatra 2525 being paired with Jack of All Trades (spy show set in colonial times and starring Bruce Campbell). They were both 30 min shows that were sold together to the stations so they always aired back to back.

Cleopatra 2525 was ok if you liked shows like VIP and Hercules. Campy and low-budget but the premise was absurd and it didn't take itself too seriously. I'm kinda surprised Gina Torres was the one out of all those casts to make the jump to mainstream. Thought Lucy lawless might escape typecasting more than she did.

Hercules was one of the original Action Pack concepts, back when it was a set of rotating TV movies (the others that made it to series after their movies finished were William Shatner's Tekwar and Vanishing Son). I don't think they were still using the Action Pack branding by the time Xena got her own show, but as a spinoff of Hercules it still has the DNA in there.

Wikipedia indicates I don't remember the Action Pack very well.  It apparently did include Hercules and TekWar and several shows I never watched (Rising Son?  There was a Smoky and the Bandit series?).  I also don't remember Cleopatra expanding to 1-hr after Jack of All Trades was canceled. 

So Backstrom just met HIS ESTRANGED DAD~!  And it was amazing.

Why didn't this show last longer? OK, it's cliched and weighed down by the whole procedural format, but dear God, Wilson is great and I could watch him being rude to people for many more years.  

Man, this show has something. It shouldn't, but it does. 

See I remember Highlander/Kung-Fu/Time Trax being advertised together. Oh well... if only Superforce could've lasted longer

James

Wow, someone else remembers Superforce existing.

I was about to say there were a couple different tiers of those weekend syndicated shows that came on Saturday afternoons on the local channels.  They got more low budget and forgettable and I remember Superforce and some other show about a mercenary team that came on right after it that were in the bottom level of action tv series.

Dudes, just a reminder that Homeland starts this weekend. 

As this past Sunday's episode started, I remember thinking "Hmm, they haven't touched on bipolar Carrie yet this season."

And then we got not only cryface Carrie, but off-her-meds-batshit-insane Carrie to boot. Awesome.

Oh, and in case y'all missed it, some artists hired to provide Arabic graffiti in the previous week's ep managed to punk/critique/burn the entire show in epic fashion:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/15/middleeast/homeland-grafitti-racist/

• Like 1

So what you guys are saying is that I am the only person who regularly watched Vanishing Son.   They tried their best to make Russell Wong a television action hero, they really did.

Oh no, I was addicted to Vanishing Son. It was gripping television to 20 something me.

So many weird syndie shows back in the day like She-Wolf of London, Forever Knight, Renegade, Relic Hunter and *shudder* She Spies

Sweet Jeebus, the memories...

James