DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

By that logic - Matt Damon is the lead of Saving Private Ryan

He is the lead in my heart.

I was watching Hombre and then Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid last week, and I was reading through the production snippets on Wikipedia. Under the latter, I saw that Steve McQueen pulled out of the movie due to not wanting to share lead billing with Newman. I just wonder how many movie stars still even care about that anymore.

My guess is someone like Sean Penn. He seems like the self-righteous douche that would want to be the top guy on the marquee.

I can't find the quote now but someone here said Rock the Kasbah looks basically like a terrible movie made to appeal specifically to Rolling Stone magazine.

Whoever said that, you nailed it. 8% fresh, but Peter Travers of Rolling Stone is part of the 8%. Good call, you win one free internet.

I was expecting someone to sat Mia Kirschner was the lead of the Black Dahlia, but that works too.

The Thirteenth Warrior isn't as good as I remembered. John McTiernan, what happened there? From Predator and Die Hard, he just... slipped somehow. Did he really annoy someone powerful or something? Rollerball (2002), Basic (2003) and then nothing? For ages?

I was expecting someone to sat Mia Kirschner was the lead of the Black Dahlia, but that works too.

The Thirteenth Warrior isn't as good as I remembered. John McTiernan, what happened there? From Predator and Die Hard, he just... slipped somehow. Did he really annoy someone powerful or something? Rollerball (2002), Basic (2003) and then nothing? For ages?

The Thirteenth Warrior is a favorite movie of mine, but it's not without its faults.  It's one of those movies whose finished product is diminished due to constant production problems, going over budget, re-writes, frequently changing personnel, and a slew of other issues.  There was supposedly over 45 minutes cut from the eventual film that will probably never be seen.

Since we have some of the usual people posting in this thread (and my inquiry on this got buried in Star Wars debate from the September thread), who would be interested in doing a best of the mid-decade poll (2010 - 2014). I know Caley mentioned wanting to do this but did not want to have to run this. I think I am more than up for the challenge, and it could be a fun poll to run as we head into the best of 2015 stuff.

I have heard a few lists the last couple of months that has my head thinking about the subject. I think my #1 is currently cut and dry.

Pretty sure I'd vote.  What would the minimum and maximum sizes for ballots be?

I don't know. Having never tallied this, I'll have to get a little guidance on the scoring side, but I would imagine we could do it as half of a decade list. I think   our usual decade ballots have been 100 films, right, so is 50 right for this?

I'm open to feedback in that regard.

The Thirteenth Warrior is a favorite movie of mine, but it's not without its faults.  It's one of those movies whose finished product is diminished due to constant production problems, going over budget, re-writes, frequently changing personnel, and a slew of other issues.  There was supposedly over 45 minutes cut from the eventual film that will probably never be seen.

Music is important in all films, but the soundtrack is so great it makes up for quite a bit here, and all the performances are all solid. . . .

I can't find the quote now but someone here said Rock the Kasbah looks basically like a terrible movie made to appeal specifically to Rolling Stone magazine.

Whoever said that, you nailed it. 8% fresh, but Peter Travers of Rolling Stone is part of the 8%. Good call, you win one free internet.

That would be me. I rule.
  • Like 1

Hiring a private investigator to dig up dirt on a producer, then lying to the FBI about it, probably made it hard to get an audience with other producers.

The felony conviction that went with it also not a boost to the resume.

Nah. 7/10

• Like 1

Paranormal Activity was absolute buttshit

Marked Ones was an anomaly sadly

Hector and his gun-toting gang member friends were the best thing that ever happened to this franchise.

Unfortunately, the producers never got it and went back to boring suburban white people as soon as they could.

Guys, come on. Stop wandering around your house terrified. Get a shotgun and go find those evil witches and blow them the hell away. 

Hector and Arturo: Two kids who at least tried to put up a fight. 

Bound wasn't bad though. But somehow the success of the first Matrix movie made them rubbish forever (some people liked Speed Racer. I'm not one of them). Joel Silver's fault?

Speed Racer was mentioned a few times in the 'Best looking films' thread.

It does look very cool and trippy.

Not sure it has much else going for it, though.  

I let a friend talk me into seeing Last Witch Hunter because I needed to get out of the house.  It's not good. Cardboard characters, a few neat (though not original) ideas that never get expanded on, and generally the worst parts of Hollywood trying to create a franchise rather than give us one good movie.  And yet, it's the best attempt we've seen at urban fantasy in the movies. I do not recommend it, but it isn't risible or anything, just dumb.

Nah. 7/10

Well played.

Hiring a private investigator to dig up dirt on a producer, then lying to the FBI about it, probably made it hard to get an audience with other producers.

The man made DIE HARD though.

Therefore he gets a pass for everything up to, and including, murder. 

You'd think, if there was anyone who WWE films would hire, it would be the guy who directed two of the great action movies of the 80's, and already proved he could direct Wrestling people (Jesse Ventura in Predator, Paul E in Rollerball). 

You'd think, if there was anyone who WWE films would hire, it would be the guy who directed two of the great action movies of the 80's, and already proved he could direct Wrestling people (Jesse Ventura in Predator, Paul E in Rollerball). 

Shit, I brought up The Long Kiss Goodnight not too long ago. Renny Harlin did 12 Rounds and I had no idea until about five minutes ago.

WWE has worked with good directors before. Harlin can be decent and The Soska Sisters are pretty damn talented too.

Problem is, instead of taking the studio up a notches, they just seem to get dragged down by the brand. It was shocking to watch the shitfest that was See No Evil 2 and realize this was by the same ladies that churned out American Mary

"Shitfest"? Hell, I thought it was the best movie that I've seen from WWE Films. Which still isn't calling it "good", I've seen at least half a dozen of these damn things, and they mostly look like films on the same level of general quality as SyFy Channel Original Pictures. See No Evil 2 was way better than average on a level of simple artistic craftsmanship, and it certainly had the best acting performances I've seen out of any of these films. (In a fair world, Katherine Isabelle would be a HUGE star.) Of course, the movie did shoot itself in the foot, firstly with a super-grim ending that didn't feel "earned"; and more egregiously, by having Jacob Goodnight repeatedly survive things that would definitely be 100% fatal, period, no saving throws, no "but the killer's still alive!" jump scares, he should be DEAD DEAD DEAD at least two or three times over.

What's past murder?

• Like 1

What's past murder?

Medicine Man.