DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

"Shitfest"? Hell, I thought it was the best movie that I've seen from WWE Films. Which still isn't calling it "good", I've seen at least half a dozen of these damn things, and they mostly look like films on the same level of general quality as SyFy Channel Original Pictures. See No Evil 2 was way better than average on a level of simple artistic craftsmanship, and it certainly had the best acting performances I've seen out of any of these films. (In a fair world, Katherine Isabelle would be a HUGE star.) Of course, the movie did shoot itself in the foot, firstly with a super-grim ending that didn't feel "earned"; and more egregiously, by having Jacob Goodnight repeatedly survive things that would definitely be 100% fatal, period, no saving throws, no "but the killer's still alive!" jump scares, he should be DEAD DEAD DEAD at least two or three times over.

Hiring a private investigator to dig up dirt on a producer, then lying to the FBI about it, probably made it hard to get an audience with other producers.

The felony conviction that went with it also not a boost to the resume.

The man made DIE HARD though.

Therefore he gets a pass for everything up to, and including, murder.

What's past murder?

• Like 1

Hiring a private investigator to dig up dirt on a producer, then lying to the FBI about it, probably made it hard to get an audience with other producers.

What's past murder?

Medicine Man.

By that logic - Matt Damon is the lead of Saving Private Ryan

I was expecting someone to sat Mia Kirschner was the lead of the Black Dahlia, but that works too.

The Thirteenth Warrior isn't as good as I remembered.

I remembered these scenes from the movie.

and decided to respectfully disagree.  Flawed though it may be, it is about as great of a dude soap opera as you will get.  It is fucking Brian's Song with Vikings and swords and honor and shit.

• Like 1

Paranormal Activity was absolute buttshit

I give the first movie props for addressing the old Eddie Murphy quip of why don't white people simply leave a haunted house when ghosts appear and noting that the entity has stalked Katie's family for years and follows the members of the family wherever they go.  

They can't simply leave the house and be safe because the entity will eventually find Katie and start breaking her will down again.

It was such a simple and logical explanation that Insidious copped it.

The only issue I have with the film is Micah's attitude.  Why in the hell are you doing the supernatural version of poking a bear with a stick?  The more you fuck with the entity the worse things get.  STOP FUCKING WITH THE DEMON, ASSHOLE~!

"Shitfest"? Hell, I thought it was the best movie that I've seen from WWE Films. Which still isn't calling it "good", I've seen at least half a dozen of these damn things, and they mostly look like films on the same level of general quality as SyFy Channel Original Pictures. See No Evil 2 was way better than average on a level of simple artistic craftsmanship, and it certainly had the best acting performances I've seen out of any of these films. (In a fair world, Katherine Isabelle would be a HUGE star.) Of course, the movie did shoot itself in the foot, firstly with a super-grim ending that didn't feel "earned"; and more egregiously, by having Jacob Goodnight repeatedly survive things that would definitely be 100% fatal, period, no saving throws, no "but the killer's still alive!" jump scares, he should be DEAD DEAD DEAD at least two or three times over.

Man, that whole movie felt like a dark, dank  cheap horror movie with absolutely nothing there, It is never a good sign when the credits rolls and you are like, "Well, at least Katharine Isabelle and the Soska Sisters made money to pay the rent, I guess..."

See No Evil 2 is blank space. WWE had talent and potential  and a semi-good budget..but they still managed it mess it up with their genericness. 

WWE Studios don't know movies. They think they know movies. That's the real problem.

Given that I've seen at least 12 articles in the past 2 years talking about the alleged renaissance in DTV action films and how they're surpassing the blockbusters in some ways, I'm amazed that WWE Films has still failed to make an action movie people speak well of.

I didn't say the 13th Warrior sucked, I said it wasn't as good as I remembered. I remembered it being pretty close to awesome from when I saw it in the cinema, and then I watched it again two days ago and thought it was just, like, significantly above average.

Given that I've seen at least 12 articles in the past 2 years talking about the alleged renaissance in DTV action films and how they're surpassing the blockbusters in some ways, I'm amazed that WWE Films has still failed to make an action movie people speak well of.

I thought 12 Rounds 3 was pretty good.

I didn't say the 13th Warrior sucked, I said it wasn't as good as I remembered. I remembered it being pretty close to awesome from when I saw it in the cinema, and then I watched it again two days ago and thought it was just, like, significantly above average.

That is an assessment I can agree with.  It is still entertaining but it has not aged well with me.

Paranormal Activity was absolute buttshit

I give the first movie props for addressing the old Eddie Murphy quip of why don't white people simply leave a haunted house when ghosts appear and noting that the entity has stalked Katie's family for years and follows the members of the family wherever they go.  

LOL

"Mr. Murphy, didn't you try to save your daughter?"

"Yeah, I'm a man and shit.  I changed the channel, shit didn't work, I got the fuck out."

What's past murder?

Die Hard 5.

Man, that whole movie felt like a dark, dank cheap horror movie with absolutely nothing there, It is never a good sign when the credits rolls and you are like, "Well, at least Katharine Isabelle and the Soska Sisters made money to pay the rent, I guess..."

See No Evil 2 is blank space. WWE had talent and potential and a semi-good budget..but they still managed it mess it up with their genericness.

WWE Studios don't know movies. They think they know movies. That's the real problem.

I'll counter by saying I thought Oculus was good enough.

Over the Edge(1979) was on TCM a few weeks ago and I finally got around to watching it again last night. HBO showed this movie all the time from about 1982 to 1987, so I've seen it many times and it was my only real glimpse of the suburbs until I moved to one freshman year of high school. I think the last time i watched it was 10ish years ago and it's a great movie to revisit as you get older.

The first two thirds of this movie are amazing and it still holds up today, it goes off the rails in the third act but it doesn't ruin the film and the message still comes across. The portrayal of the 13 to 15 year old age range is so brutally honest and realistic and the movies that tried to re-caputre that vibe like Dazed and Confused don't come close to nailing it like this movie did.

I was Informed today that the new Jem movie is amazing to watch if "You are completely gone on acid."

So...now you know.

I'm assuming if you're completely gone on acid, Jem turns into Josie & The Pussycats.

Call me somewhat prudish, but the "fade to black" implied sex between two 13/14-year olds in "Over The Edge" REALLY creeped me out the first time I saw the movie on HBO in the late 1980s.  

I mean, I'm not stupid enough to think that real life kids aren't banging each other at that age, but that scene still got a "Wow, we're really going there" reaction from me.

Leaving the unconscious cop to die in the car explosion at the end, no matter how much of an authoritarian jerkass he was, still killed an sympathy I had for the kids at the end.

Talk Talk TV got hacked. At first the culprits claimed they were terrorists and had political goals, but it turns out that was all a ruse so no one would notice when they stole the company's money.

Apparently criminals are borrowing ideas from Hans Gruber now.