DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

For me it's The Wrestler. It was an amazing film, and Rourke's performance was oscar worthy but it took a couple months before I could watch wrestling again without feeling a slight pang of guilt whenever guys would land hard on the concrete or something like that.

Saw the Martian. Generally liked it.

Two favorite nerd things:

1. Leather Goddesses of Phobos

2. LOTR joke

I did not read the book, so cant compare. OverHeard folks leaving theatre saying book had more comedy.

Was interested to see that an advocacy group complaining about not enough Asian-Americans in it. Funny since i thought it had a pretty diverse cast with lots of black/asian folks in it working at NASA and JPL. I guess the young NASA girl was Asian-American in the book and Mission head was Indian, not black. And the Chinese actors dont count towards the Asian-American count because they are Chinese.

Re-watched To Die For for the first time in ages. IMO, this is still far and away Kidman's best performance. She is so great in this. 

One thing I do like about this film in particular: In most of these noir-type films, the femme fatale is this evil, manipulative genius. Re-watching this movie: It's so obvious: She thinks she's one of these crafty femme fatale types, but she's too clueless. She's an idiot. It's just that she happens to be slightly smarter than these loser redneck teens and able to trade in on her looks.  When she goes up against actual smart people (Larry's family), she's kinda fucked. 

That's a nice twist in the genre. 

I haven't watched most of the stuff in this thread, but just reading these posts is making me a little uncomfortable, partly for the content described, and partly by the knowledge that people want to make things of this nature.

I guess I'm sheltered or whatever, but at this exact moment I'm kinda glad about that.

I do want to see the Martian, though. May go check that one out this afternoon.

Was interested to see that an advocacy group complaining about not enough Asian-Americans in it. Funny since i thought it had a pretty diverse cast with lots of black/asian folks in it working at NASA and JPL. I guess the young NASA girl was Asian-American in the book and Mission head was Indian, not black. And the Chinese actors dont count towards the Asian-American count because they are Chinese.

God I hate people - the only indication that Mindy Park might be Asian was because her last name is "Park".  And I guess because she was a mechanical engineer. 

But, of course, the casting director is the racist...

I guess it's a good thing Rosa Parks had that extra S otherwise I would have just been all SHE CLEARLY WAS KOREAN!!!!

To be fair, Chiwetel Ejiofor was the second choice for Kapoor. They wanted Irrfan Khan, but he was busy.

Legit question - was Jurassic World being shot at the same time because I kinda feel like that is the only reason you would turn down that movie

My ideal setting for True Detective Season 3 was originally a border story dealing with the drug trade, but having just seen Sicaro at the cinema I don't think that can be bettered. Tells an amazing story of righteous anger and perpetuating cycles of violence, and Emily Blunt just steadily erodes over the course of the film like a truly haunted protagonist should

To be fair, Chiwetel Ejiofor was the second choice for Kapoor. They wanted Irrfan Khan, but he was busy.

Legit question - was Jurassic World being shot at the same time because I kinda feel like that is the only reason you would turn down that movie

He was doing a movie in India.

Every mention of the movie Filth makes me think that an adaptation of the Vertigo series THE Filth somehow got made.

And there's no way that gets made.

I love Grant Morrison. I gravitate towards weirdness in literature. I have read The Filth twice.

I literally have no idea what was going on.

I watched Sin City 2, which was OK, but... the gap between the two was way too long. Were they waiting for Mickey Rourke's Oscar buzz to die down so he'd be inexpensive again?They should have got Clive Owen back for post-surgical Dwight duties too. Eva Green was good. Joe Gordon Levitt's storyline was something... I can't help but think his revenge plan was a bit misconceived... what's the point in taking revenge on someone if you aren't alive to see it?

I watched Haywire as well. Too many films are copies of the Bourne Identity now. This was a lot closer than most, though. They didn't have the amnesia, but they did have a main character who didn't know what was going on or why things were happening, so the confusion was identical. Gina Carano was alright, though. Not wooden and terrible like a non-actor could have been. But why cast a MMA fighter and then have people escape their Rear Naked Choke with a back elbow to the ribs? That don't work outside of Pro-Wrestling.

But why cast a MMA fighter and then have people escape their Rear Naked Choke with a back elbow to the ribs? That don't work outside of Pro-Wrestling.

Maybe pro wrestling is the only frame of reference for whoever wrote the movie. If Rocky is a top heavyweight boxer and can't stop Clubber Lang from landing consecutive lead left hooks thrown from halfway across the ring, I guess I got to accept that shit as well.

But why cast a MMA fighter and then have people escape their Rear Naked Choke with a back elbow to the ribs? That don't work outside of Pro-Wrestling.

Maybe pro wrestling is the only frame of reference for whoever wrote the movie. If Rocky is a top heavyweight boxer and can't stop Clubber Lang from landing consecutive lead left hooks thrown from halfway across the ring, I guess I got to accept that shit as well.

Dude, Rocky is blind in his right eye. Cut him some slack. Thank God Apollo  taught him a decent jab!

• Like 1

I watched Haywire as well. Too many films are copies of the Bourne Identity now. This was a lot closer than most, though. They didn't have the amnesia, but they did have a main character who didn't know what was going on or why things were happening, so the confusion was identical. Gina Carano was alright, though. Not wooden and terrible like a non-actor could have been. But why cast a MMA fighter and then have people escape their Rear Naked Choke with a back elbow to the ribs? That don't work outside of Pro-Wrestling.

Carano was embarrassingly bad in Fast and Furious 6. She did a bit better in this movie, but yeah, I don't think she'll ever be able to get over how wooden she is.

Watched Brannigan off my DVR today (It's been sitting there for two months and the DVR is in danger of filling up, so I have to start watching stuff off there).  As far as 70s cop flicks with a stranger in a strange land go, it's pretty fun.  John Wayne is a Chicago cop who goes to London to pick up his longtime foe, only for the baddie to get kidnapped almost immediately as he gets there.  I particularly enjoyed the world's best assassin who has gets less and less thorough with every failure.

At first he booby-traps John Wayne's hotel room with a shotgun tied to a doorknob and a bomb in the toilet.  When Wayne thwarts this attempt, he stakes him out and does a drive-by shooting at night, only he botches that as well.  Finally, by the end of the movie, he just drives his car at Wayne while taking potshots at him.

It's really not supposed to be funny, but it really becomes completely hilarious by the end.  I also appreciated that they didn't try wedge a romance angle in there.  When Judy Geeson's character picks up Wayne and acts as his driver, I was just waiting for the inevitable scene of her falling for his charms, but it was more of a fatherly relationship which was great, because there was something like 40 years between them.  Also, there's a really terrifically silly and unnecessary barfight in there that seems never-ending, that  you never want to end because it's so damn silly and fun.

Just got back from watching Sicario. Damn good movie. Benicio was excellent. Emily Blunt was pretty damn good too, though they made her character waaaaaaaaaay too naive, IMO.

Del Toro reminded me of this guy from The Simpsons, only we got to actually see what he does.

2085934-liljapaneseguy.jpg

Deadline is apparently reporting that Robert Rodriguez is "in talks" to take over the Battle Angel Alita adaptation James Cameron has promised since the dawn of the DVD era. This is idiotic. It's been fifteen years. LET IT DIE.

The premise basically sounds like The Long Kiss Goodnight, but with a cyborg instead.