DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I think Requiem for a Dream fits that bill for me. I may watch it again some day when I revisit all of Aronofsky's catalog, but it definitely was an unsettling film when I saw it 10 years ago or whenever that was.

• Like 2

I think the only really, really good movie I've seen that I don't want to see again is Passion of the Christ. Some of the others mentioned that I've seen - Irreversible and Requiem For a Dream - I didn't think were good.

Thought of another one: Jacob's Ladder. I rewatched it again last year and I think you'd have to pay me to watch it again. 

Shit like Jacob's Ladder doesn't even bother me. I was frightened when I first saw it years ago, but now stuff like that just weirds me out a little. 

I would say maybe something like Elephant because it ends cold. The foreshadowing in that movie is so heavy. Watched it once and that is end of that.

Basically, anything based off history that has great execution and can actually convey a sense of dread.

Just watched Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, and you probably add that as well.

Schindler's List

Speaking of Nazis, saw Downfall a couple weeks ago. Goebbels' wife in Downfall is the coldest bitch in the history of movies. The dread you feel when the guy brings the "medicine" for the kids is some all time soul crushing stuff. 

I can watch most of that movie because fuck Hitler. That series of scenes toward the end? No. No. No. Fuck no.

I think Requiem for a Dream fits that bill for me. I may watch it again some day when I revisit all of Aronofsky's catalog, but it definitely was an unsettling film when I saw it 10 years ago or whenever that was.

Seconding this. When I have kids and they get old enough to have the "dont do drugs" speech, I am locking them in a room and making them watch Requiem For A Dream. It will be a better "dont do drugs" message than anything the Dare program could come up with.

Then I am going to another room in the house cuz I will be damned if I am going to watch that movie again.

• Like 1

That brings up an interesting topic: What are some films that are really really good that you watch once and never feel compelled to see ever again because they're so fucked up? My big one is Monster.

The obvious answer to me is Dear Zachary.

• Like 3

That brings up an interesting topic: What are some films that are really really good that you watch once and never feel compelled to see ever again because they're so fucked up? My big one is Monster.

Oh man, good call. All-time gut punch movie.

Old Boy for me and probably The Natural as well. I will probably never watch Pan's Labyrinth again though that is more because of how depressing it was.

Dear god...that movie...

I think that while somebody might toss out arguments for movies like "Cannibal Holocaust," "Salo" or "Serbian Film," my vote goes for "Shoah."

I can watch Clockwork, Requiem, or Henry all day long but something about Jacob's Ladder legit frightens me. Aside from Alien, that might be the only film that has that capability. 

I'm with Rippa on Schindler's List. Watched that uncut on network TV when I was a kid and yeah, I can do without watching Jewish kids hide in outhouse shitters and drunk Nazis firing into piles of burning corpses again.

EDIT: A little anecdote about Cannibal Holocaust, the first time I watched that I paid like $35 for a Dutch bootleg DVD of it from a local gal that had a horror/music/clothing store in town. I got nice and stoned and turned it on later that night. When the turtle scene happened... lets just say that was uncomfortable in the extreme. I've been able to watch it since but that scene is a no-go.

12 Years a Slave is very well done but I never want to see it again. It's so brutal.  I think it's well worth watching though.   I never want to see Elephant again because I didn't think it was all that good and the school is set in Portland, Oregon.  A little too on the nose there.

I'm a dad so any scenes featuring the endangerment or exploitation of children really makes me angry and uncomfortable. 

There were parts of A Serbian Film that sent waves of nausea through me and even the parts of Blade and Blade: Trinity where the vampires show their inhumanity by putting small children and infants into harm's way made my nose twitch.

As a black man, I can handle movies like 12 Years A Slave or Amistad because I can process my anger and I know that the majority of people I know in the present do not think like the racist assholes of yore. 

We've still got a long way to go and you are naïve if you believe that there aren't people out there that will judge you by your melanin count, but there is no Coloreds Only section in my local Wal-Mart either. Baby steps.

I can deal with Requiem For A Dream because the unpleasant things that the characters endure or force themselves to endure are the symptoms of their drug abuse and I appreciate the the fact that the movie does not sugar coat the idea that there is no depth an addict will sink to in order to get their fix.  If you need a visual example of why you should Just Say No, here it is.

I think that the Passion of the Christ is one of the dumbest films ever made because it misses the whole point.  Good Friday lasts the length of the film while Easter Sunday is treated almost like an afterthought.   Yes, Christ suffered and died for the sins of the world, but he also rose again and defeated the grave.  Apparently, I paid more attention in Sunday School than Mel Gibson did.

I think the sadistic, ultra gore franchises that only serve to test your gag reflex like the August Underground, Red Room, and Guinea Pig movies are really stupid save for one or two exceptions (Mermaid In A Manhole actually has a pretty tragic story).  I also think it is pretty crazy that the most offensive thing that people find in Cannibal Holocaust is the eating of live turtles. 

There are images of people being dismembered and tortured and women being raped or otherwise violated, but since it is not really happening that makes it okay?  Seriously?

I hate movies like Irreversible, Visitor Q, Antichrist and Baise Moi for the same reason I realize that I now despise A Serbian Film.

I'm a fairly intelligent human being so I don't need some director to hammer his philosophical point home with an excess of violent or unsettling imagery, because he is an arrogant auteur douche that believes his genius vision is so abstract and profound that the only way that "normal" people will understand it is if it is taped to an iron truncheon and bludgeoned into the back of your brain. 

I get what you are trying to say, man, and I am sure that other people do, too.  You are not as clever as you think you are.

• Like 3

As far as a movie I want to watch over and over, I just saw "The Salvation" starring Mads Mikkelson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan and it's fucking awesome. It's a Danish film and it's a western. And it's everything a fucking Western should be. Just a kick ass tale of bad guys picking the wrong guy to fuck with. It hits every fucking trope but does it perfectly, and it's beautiful to look at. I cheered so many times when some righteous mayhem went down. Watch this now.