DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Yeah - I kinda have shifted my Netflix issue of holding onto movies for like a year and never watching them to the library where I will renew things 5 times and never watch them.

Oh pile of shame...

• Like 1

Seeing The Martian this weekend. Loved the book. Think Matt Damon is perfect for the role. Can't wait.

Everything you just said.

I am terrified they are going to fuck it up but the reviews make it sound great

Seeing The Martian this weekend. Loved the book. Think Matt Damon is perfect for the role. Can't wait.

Everything you just said.

I am terrified they are going to fuck it up but the reviews make it sound great

The trailers and the marketing seem pretty spot-on, so I have great faith. But I also may have unreasonable expectations.

I can't go see The Martian until I hit the Redbox Pile of Shame and watch San Andreas with my kid and my girlfriend.  We still have Hercules on DVR from the Epix free weekend that we have to watch.

Yeah, my girlfriend is a Rock mark but in turn for my tolerance, she doesn't bug me when I ogle Hannah John-Kamen on Killjoys.

I watched Death Proof last night. It was like Tarantino was caught between two stools of wanting to make an accurate tribute to the cheap n nasty movies he liked, and trying to make an actual good movie, and he ended up not really doing either. And it sort of came across like, if you didn't know Tarantino directed it himself, you would assume it was written and directed by a not that bright guy who really liked Tarantino movies and wanted to make something like that, but wasn't anywhere near intelligent enough to do it. Like Teh Steve got a production budget or something.

It had it's moments. But you had to wait quite a long while to get to those moments. Kurt Russell was good. The world needs more movies where guys get shot and sell it like it's incredible painful, and start freaking out and getting scared they're going to die. Then when someone does the 'I ain't got time to bleed' spot it means more.

So because I have horrible timing - I finally sat down yesterday of all days to watch Rudderless (since the plot revolves around a college school shooting you will see why I said what I said)

For those unfamiliar - Rudderless is William H Macy's debut as a director. It has Billy Crudup, Felicity Huffman (shocker) and Anton Yelchin. Selena Gomez shows up a few times to yell at people and Laurence Fishbourne is the wise old black man.

It is a brutal film. I mean by that what drew me too it was all the music. The problem is that it is based around aforementioned school shooting.

Quick recap - including TWIST~!

Crudup and Huffman's kid is killed in school shooting. Crudup's life spirals out of control. He discovers his sons music and starts to preform it. He forms a band with Yelchin and others. TWIST~! is that the son actually was the one who committed the school shooting. So that is why Crudup hasn't told people that the songs were his kids.

So yeah - it's that but super happy fun time - especially with the music. So the clash is really had to come to grips with.

I will continue to watch a couple of the songs on Youtube

My local theater is basically trying to force 3D on me this weekend. All of the 2D screenings for The Martian are at terrible times.

I plan to see both The Martian and Sicario this weekend.

Because we are the last city to not get a Liemax, we do not have The Walk yet.

Watched Tucker and Dale vs Evil last night on Netflix. Such a funny take down of horror movies, laughed my ass off. . .

Seconded. So many quotables, and the relationship between Tucker and Dale is incredibly believable. Boggles my mind that Tudyk is the pedophile in that one ep of C.S.I.

Rogue (2007) is an Australian horror movie in which a random group of survivors are picked off one by one. By a massive crocodile. But it takes place largely at night, is in an exotic, inhospitable environment and stars Radha Mitchell, so it's a bit like Pitch Black without Vin Diesel. The other main actors are Michael Vartan (who I've only ever seen in one other movie, and we were talking about it last month when we were all over Matthew Lillard) and Sam Worthington (who doesn't need to hide his Australian accent, but still seems a bit bland even though his character is supposed to be all colourful and characterful).

It doesn't suck or anything, but it's very standard. It does the Jaws thing of hiding the monster for a long time, but then doesn't really deliver the gore like you're expecting it to later. And there's a couple of bits towards the end where people survive things that it's just ridiculous the think we survivable. But it's OK. The early bits are very Visit Beautiful Australia with the dramatic scenery, but then loads of people get killed and it makes you not want to go after all.

Yeah, The Martian was super fun. I haven't read the book but it was a really enjoyable dynamic that, one mini tantrum aside, Watney was overwhelmingly positive and sarcastic in the face of overwhelming adversity and especially when played by someone as likable as Matt Damon.

He will never eat another potato ever again. Did think it would have been funny though that on the bench at the end, he's tucking into potato and ketchup for his lunch.

It's pretty much Scott's most purely enjoyable film in a long time.

My friends and I were trying to decide if it was a happy accident or intentional that Sean Bean got cast - thus leading to one of the great inside nerd jokes of all time

Im sorry but The Martian had one of the most reality breaking, mind fucking, totally unbelievable character developments in cinema history -

Sean Bean lives?!? WTF movie?

Other than that is was great. Felt like a much better version of Gravity.

• Like 1

I just watched this Burn After Reading movie and I can't find out who the hell John Malkovich's dad on the boat was.  When I was watching it I thought it was Robert Altman.  I can't find a goddamned thing about this.  Driving me nuts.

I watched It's Such A Beautiful Day last week and was BLOWN AWAY by it.  It's three short films by animator Don Hertzfeldt tied together as one film and it's just really funny, sad, beautiful, weird, and wonderful.

I watched Die Hard With A Vengeance last night for the billionth time BUT it was the first time I got to see the alternate ending featuring McLane and Gruber having a game of russian roulette with a rocket launcher. How much more badass is it than the helicopter shootout we got?!

The Martian was epic, beautiful, thrilling, funny, almost everything I wanted this movie to be.
My two very minor quibbles are

They left out the critical rover wreck he had at the edge of the crater when almost to the MAV

and

The movie should have opened with a black screen and Damon's voice-over saying "I am so fucked" and then made it clear that we were going to a flashback.

But those are minor. I loved it. I cried a bit. I smiled a lot.