DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

hqdefault.jpg

Halloween_Havoc_1991_0001.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Tried to find a screencap of DDP and Savage throwing each other into the fake tombstones to no avail. I think these pictures show the dichotomy of WCW perfectly. First one: moment of brilliance. Second: moment of utter idiocy. Third: total shitfest of a match because they didn't gimmick the wheel. Fourth: amazing match because the performers were down and they did gimmick the wheel. 

• Like 1

hqdefault.jpg

Halloween_Havoc_1991_0001.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Tried to find a screencap of DDP and Savage throwing each other into the fake tombstones to no avail. I think these pictures show the dichotomy of WCW perfectly. First one: moment of brilliance. Second: moment of utter idiocy. Third: total shitfest of a match because they didn't gimmick the wheel. Fourth: amazing match because the performers were down and they did gimmick the wheel. 

The wheel was gimmicked.  Where did you invent this story that it wasnt?  To suggest it wasnt would mean that WCW would have had to have had a cage set up and ready to go as well as all of the other gimmicks.  Coal Miner's glove was a big draw in Mid South and Watts assumed it would be again.  He was wrong.

The wheel was not not gimmicked. You're fooling yourself.  

From this very site, Feb 14

An old Observer confirms the wheel was rigged.  The reason the coal miner's match was picked was because A) WCW had never had one and it was a Watts favorite and B )WCW was moving away towards blood and most of the other options relied on blood to help make the match better, it was considered the most violent match they could have without blood (barbed wire, cage, first blood...none of those choices were happening.) 

Im sure I can find the observer in question.    

• Like 1

I am mistaken then. Thought I heard somewhere they fucked up and forgot to fix the wheel.

Watts was a fool when it came to WCW, aside from tags and bringing in his boys.

EDIT: Hell, wouldn't a strap match would have been better? Sting ended up having a pretty good one of those...

The wheel not being rigged is one of things Scott Keith made up that somehow became popular belief. Along with the Battlebowl draw being legit, and Austin being booked to go over at IYH Final Four with them changing the finish on the fly after he got injured.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Jim Cornette said in one of his shoots, can't remember which, that if a gimmick was involved, Watts always liked to make sure the fans knew it was there. If you were doing a promo for a strap match, you should have the strap there to hammer the point home, or if you were doing a cage match, you do a promo behind one of the walls of the cage. Watts having all the gimmicks there just fit in with his booking philosophy.

I will defend the Chamber of Horrors til my dying day. Okay, it was a clusterfuck, but it was also one of the coolest concepts and visuals in wrestling as a young kid

Agreed.  We thought we were going to see the next big yearly event match like War Games or the Rumble, but we though that with every WCW gimmick match in the early 90s.  Like my friends and I were so fucking stoked for the BattleBowl.