DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I think we should reevaluate Trish again.  She got to the point where she was "overrated" I guess with all that best of all time stuff but now I think she's underrated. After watching the Rivalries episode I went back and watched some of her work against Steph, Lita and others.  Trish was a good brawler. She brought a lot of intensity to the ring and she took some crazy bumps. She had good athleticism also. She was a good talker, great heel.  Her bitchy promos were awesome, her taunting/facial expressions were great too.

Her and Steph had a ridiculously fun brawl at No Way Out with neither one of them having any type of in-ring experience.  I know at one point Finlay was working with the women but I think if Trish came up in this NXT environment she would have been even better.

Trish really had it all, she could go and could bring fire when it was needed, she had enough technical knowledge to get by, she had charisma plus she was smoking hot and really down to earth.

I don't know who said she was over rated but those people are wrong.

She wasn't as good a worker as Ivory or Molly, however she wasn't as awkward as Lita though and I'm sure Lita is still held in fairly high esteem.

She was probably the best all around female they had at that time.

• Like 1

Damn. I thought this Eva Marie stuff was contained to one folder.   Yeah, I can kind of see where the "overrated" stuff with Trish comes from because no I don't think she was an incredible worker but I think she was definitely the best all-around female in WWE at the time and with her heart and motivation she could have been incredible if she came up in this version of NXT.

I think the idea that a gorgeous fitness model like Trish getting shit on by this NXT crowd isn't ridiculous at all. Come on, if Trish as she was when she started in 2000 debuted today in NXT ? That crowd would totally reject her. Nothing to do with "Indy" but her being a super green fitness model.

It depends entirely on how WWE would present 2000s Trish Stratus to the fans. If you take out Eva Marie from WWE's reality and put Trish in her role on Total Divas, then going to train and wrestle - yeah, she'd get shit on without a doubt. Anyone would. Granted I haven't followed NXT as this year, but Dana Brooke was a fitness model, probably got shit on a few times infront of a live crowd, and now she's pulling some good crowd reactions together. Either way, someone with no experience being thrown out there will get shit on, but it's really about how long the crowd will maintain that reaction. Eva could be a world class worker, but regardless I think people are going to hate her because of how WWE chose to bring her up to both rosters, through Total Divas.

Amanda from Tough Enough is going to get the same type of reaction eventually, but she'll flourish in that environment. Trish would too.

Bayley did have some decent SHIMMER matches, but I'm glad that you saw my point. Question: Did Bayley have as much buzz based on her indie work coming into NXT as, say, Athena does coming in?

Trish was a fantastic heel in particular and was a perfectly acceptable wrestler. The stuff with Jericho/Christian love triangle is a guilty pleasure of mine as is her being a total dick during the Lita/Kane thing. 

I was going to bring up Dana Brooke as an example of a fitness model that is doing just fine as she improves. Even so, if you're going to use the "not an indy darling" talking point, why would you do it here, a place where people are clearly open to good work no matter the background of the worker?

The thing with Trish was, her entire run was built around redemption. It was about taking her from being the woman who barked on all fours for Vince, to becoming the leader of the rebirth of the Women's division. Her's was the longest overarching story and character arc the WWE had done since WM$-WM5.

and if you think that wasn't done intentionally then I think you're nuts

James

Amanda does seem to understand how to play a character so I could see her doing well. She seemed pretty athletic on TE also.  Trish was great as a heel but behind the scenes everyone says she was very professional and likable (as well as being super motivated) so that had to help when she was learning.

I do think the NXT crowd will shit on Amanda so we'll see how that goes.

Speaking of Trish, this upcoming Mania will make it TEN YEARS since the last time the women had a legit serious storyline and title match at WrestleMania. Trish vs Mickie in 2006. Pretty much every match since then has been a goof or put in a death slot on the card.

Can WWE get their stuff together enough to have one this year? Or will we get a random "get every diva on the show" match that is ultimately meaningless like SummerSlam?

From what I've learned over the past months, this has happened multiple times before (a group of luchadores splitting AAA for CMLL or vice versa all at once). Someone who knows lucha history in far more detail than me (pretty much everyone else posting here) can elaborate or correct me if I'm wrong, but I've come across this happening on multiple occasions in the '90s and '00s.