DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I think I saw Alvarez ranting about not even doing Raw recaps on the audio shows anymore, simply because the show has become so redundant.

To be fair, Alvarez recaps Raw 3x a week between his shows with Dave, Sempervive, and Vinny.

I don't even know what kind of fan I'm classed as - don't watch shows, don't have network, keep up with news here and there. I'm only really here to talk about the history and nostalgia aspects

if you watch the Royal Rumble and WrestleMania, then we have the exact same habits.

I tuned out of wrestling for years in the late aughts and probably missed some really good stuff. It was gradual, but now I'm back in full fan mode, trying to watch as much as I can. Of course, I only watch PPVs live so I can skip around. That probably helps.

I don't even know what kind of fan I'm classed as - don't watch shows, don't have network, keep up with news here and there. I'm only really here to talk about the history and nostalgia aspects

if you watch the Royal Rumble and WrestleMania, then we have the exact same habits.

I watch the Rumble if the opportunity is there but yeah I tend to check in for WrestleMania, mainly for Hall of Fame, and I'll spend most matches bitching about how bland everyone is. I do enjoy Stone Cold and Flair's podcast too

Are we starting to see a backlash against NXT now?

Really, guys?

I've seen this place sour on Daniel Bryan, and there's the suggestion in "Movies & TV" that Guillermo del Toro is not a good director ... We're in bizarro land tonight Maggle!

We're slowly moving toward the mindset of "just turn off your brain, shut up, and watch...if you don't like it, quit watching".

Hence those glorious ratings.

Damn millenials are too lazy to turn on their TVs or fill out their Nielsen reports.

Really, guys?

I've seen this place sour on Daniel Bryan, and there's the suggestion in "Movies & TV" that Guillermo del Toro is not a good director ... We're in bizarro land tonight Maggle!

Or ... people just like different things. :)

• Like 2

I know I'm not alone in this. We all felt great about how WrestleMania 30 played out. Vince had to be dragged kicking and screaming to get the title on Bryan but they did it and it was a tremendous show.  We had Bryan as champion. The Shield going strong.  Cesaro winning the Andre battle royal which was treated as a big deal. We had Rusev starting up quickly after that. It felt like we were on the cusp of something special. A changing of the guard.  That's what makes it more frustrating. I know there's people in the company who know what they're doing.  You watch NXT and it's completely different but even if you leave out NXT, RAW puts out some really great angles from time to time also but they blow it every single time.

• Like 7

That's why I stopped watching.  I figure it's just more healthy to not keep tuning in to something that just gets my hopes up then pisses me off.  Legit makes me feel stupid for being invested in the company for so long.  I think WM was the last straw because of the whole retcon nature of the Sting/HHH match.  Like "Hey man all this shit you watched and remember like a fucking elephant doesn't matter.  Suck our dicks"

Lucha Underground is my promotion now so I'm really fucking glad it's back

• Like 2

McMahon has really changed in his older age because in the '70s, '80s, and '90s, he'd be ready to dump his headliners as soon as he thought they might be even a little bit old or stale. He dumped Backlund ASAP to get to Hogan; tried to dump Hogan for Warrior, didn't work; dumped Savage so inexplicably that Savage was relegated to color commentary on WM IX, a show so desperate for star power that I cannot imagine how Savage doesn't work it high on the card or at least as a better opponent for Razor to go over than face Bob Backlund in 1993, but that's another rant; dumped Bret as soon as he could for Michaels; essentially tried to dump Austin for Brock. 

Now in 2015, he's clinging desperately to Cena, not relegating guys like Orton to color commentary on Main Event, calling back old-timers whom he tried to dump to headline WrestleManias, and generally not trying to really push anyone too hard (Reigns, maybe, but that push was botched so badly that I've seen many people swear that it was on purpose). Vince is in "save the company" mode trying to get that corporate cred so that when he dies, Stephanie and HHH won't go out of business soon after, and it has changed his whole perspective on the creative process to a staggering degree, not to mention his willingness to take risks and try to find a new guy to run with when he gets a whiff of his current top guy getting stale. 

• Like 1

That's why I stopped watching.  I figure it's just more healthy to not keep tuning in to something that just gets my hopes up then pisses me off.  Legit makes me feel stupid for being invested in the company for so long.  I think WM was the last straw because of the whole retcon nature of the Sting/HHH match.  Like "Hey man all this shit you watched and remember like a fucking elephant doesn't matter.  Suck our dicks"

Lucha Underground is my promotion now so I'm really fucking glad it's back

Yeah, this, just swap PWG for LU.  I barely watch Raw ever and I just get mad listening to Dave & Bryan recap it.  I almost drove the car off the road when they discussed World champ Rollins CHASING U.S. champ Cena and jobbing.

I think Vince is probably best with his back against the wall. It's been a long time now since he's had to worry about any type of competition.  They were still making a lot of money well into the "Ruthless Aggression" era behind the wave of Cena, Brock, Orton and Batista.  But damn that class was over a decade ago. Vince seems to choose his way over money also.  They got rid of Heyman basically when SD! was on fire. If someone gets over that shouldn't be they trash that.  Fans want Bryan, fuck that give them Batista. Very strange.

Really, guys?

Or ... people just like different things. :)

Lying

I love LU too and your enthusiasm about it here definitely helped me get more into it beyond just the presentation, but with one hour of TV a week, it's just such a different animal than WWE who have 5, or even 8 in a PPV week (not counting Superstars, Main Event or NXT!)

The weird thing is, I used to be as enthusiastic about everything as I am about Lucha Underground now.  It took a lot to chip away at that and make me absolutely not care about something that had been a fixture of my life since I was five years old.

Shit man, in the WCW days I'd be watching like 3 or 4 hours of WWF TV a week, an ungodly amount of WCW (including waking up at 6:05 on a Saturday to see the Saturday morning shows since I live in California) The Main Event, WCW Saturday Night, etc.  plus anything else that would come on TV, and reading roughly a thousand magazines a month.  I mean yeah I was mostly a kid that didn't have a job but these habits continued into adulthood as much as possible.

Now I read the observer and I watch Lucha Underground and regular lucha.  I went to the last PWG show but I don't really do that regularly, shit's expensive.  So I get about 1-5 hours of a week with wrestling stuff, and plan on playing the new videogame.  It's a pretty big shift in interest. 

I'm mostly a nostalgia watcher. I have the Network, but I use it primarily for NXT and the NXT specials, which is the thing that I really love about current-day wrestling. After that, I've been watching 97' RAW and Nitro and plan to watch some mid-'90s ECW and all the World Class on the service.

Other than that, I throw on World of Sport because there is a ton of it on YouTube. I've actually seen more WoS in the past six months than I have main roster WWF stuff, which is hard to do when you consider how many hours of television the main roster puts out. Mostly, though, I watch old stuff that I've never seen or re-watch old stuff that I get to see again from a fresh perspective twenty or twenty-five years later. 

If New Japan or the Paul Boesch library get on Roku or on whatever Smart TV I buy in a couple months, I'll subscribe to that too; I just don't like watching on my notebook, or I'd have them already. 

Wrestling is still awesome; I just bitch about WWE maybe because that's what I grew up on, so I'm still drawn to caring about the company now, and because they have so much talent that it's insane that the shows aren't orders of magnitude better than they are. 

I know I'm not alone in this. We all felt great about how WrestleMania 30 played out. Vince had to be dragged kicking and screaming to get the title on Bryan but they did it and it was a tremendous show.  We had Bryan as champion. The Shield going strong.  Cesaro winning the Andre battle royal which was treated as a big deal. We had Rusev starting up quickly after that. It felt like we were on the cusp of something special. A changing of the guard.  That's what makes it more frustrating. I know there's people in the company who know what they're doing.  You watch NXT and it's completely different but even if you leave out NXT, RAW puts out some really great angles from time to time also but they blow it every single time.

The problem with WrestleMania 30 was that, while the show itself proved how wrong Vince was about general booking, the aftermath proved him completely right about not wanting to build his company around indie darlings who came to him with a lot of mileage...