DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

and that was Joe leading Corbin, who is still green as hell, to a really fun match. If Joe can deliver fun matches like that with guys who are seasoned, the possibilities for awesome are immense!

James

It would be a very Vince-like F you to TNA and ROH if there were ever a Cena/Joe feud based on Joe being bitter that he and Cena trained at UPW together and Joe "toiled away in these po-dunk indies for ten years while Cena took my rightful spot at the top of WWE." If WCW were still around, I could totally see that happening, but since neither is real competition I couldn't see it happening today.

• Like 1

Before Joe went to ROH were there ever rumblings about the WWE being at all interested?

He got a tryout, which spawned stories about HHH allegedly burying him to Vince for being "too indy". Which in hindsight I suppose was either untrue anti-HHH propaganda, or HHH kissing up to Vince by telling him what he wanted to hear.

Allegedly, he turned them down around 06 or 07 to stay with TNA.

I'd heard that too. We can "what if" all day, but if you asked me, i'd say he would have been there and gone already. He'd have been more Scotty Goldman than CM Punk. And I've been a massive Joe fan since the first time I ever laid eyes on him in 03. I just think there was too much working against him at that time. The present day NXT landscape is much more favorable to a guy with his look and skill-set, in my worthless opinion.

Joe did have a really good hoss match with Corbin in Brooklyn.

True, though it irritates me that people called it a carry job and ignored that Corbin is getting pretty decent. Strikes aside because Lawd Jesus, he barely hits guys with his punches and his kicks leave visible air between him and his opponent. 

Allegedly, he turned them down around 06 or 07 to stay with TNA.

To be fair TNA in 2006 and 2007 was a really good run with angles and matches.  Meanwhile the WWE developmental was Deep South that was a mess with Bill Demott at his worse and OVW turning into the same mess.   So it really isn't that horrible of a decision.  

It is easy to say now knowing that TNA is dead man walking and NXT is one of the best product in wrestling now.   People don't remember that WWE developmentals from 2006 to the beginning of NXT was hell to go to if you have options

RAW's rating went down again. 2.2 this week.  They did gain some viewers back but that number is the worst non-holiday number in many years. On the flip side, you had Monday Night Football and with that the premiere of the Star Wars trailer. 

Still, it's rough. You have Austin, Lesnar, HBK, Undertaker and Flair all on the show. 

RAW's rating went down again. 2.2 this week.  They did gain some viewers back but that number is the worst non-holiday number in many years. On the flip side, you had Monday Night Football and with that the premiere of the Star Wars trailer. 

Still, it's rough. You have Austin, Lesnar, HBK, Undertaker and Flair all on the show. 

What is RAW's absolute bottom? Like if Vince just aired 3 NXT episodes in that time slot, what would happen?

At one point TNA was doing 2 million viewers. I believe that was their peak.  Right now RAW has been doing a little over 3 million (though I'm sure there are millions of others who are reading the recaps or will watch Mania or something like that). 

I think they are pretty close to reaching the bottom of the hardcore base that will always watch WWE.

• Like 1

WTF does anybody expect? We're in Year 4 of the Authority angle, and the top heel has literally put over one person in all that time. The show is incredibly stale. There's been nothing compelling on the show outside of small bits like The New Day for years, and people can just catch their bits on Youtube.

They don't build stars. They don't build matches. They don't build towards PPVs. There's no reason to watch Raw anymore than there is to watch Smackdown.

• Like 5

RAW's rating went down again. 2.2 this week. They did gain some viewers back but that number is the worst non-holiday number in many years. On the flip side, you had Monday Night Football and with that the premiere of the Star Wars trailer.

Still, it's rough. You have Austin, Lesnar, HBK, Undertaker and Flair all on the show.

What is RAW's absolute bottom? Like if Vince just aired 3 NXT episodes in that time slot, what would happen?

Viewership would double because fuck you NXT is awesome.

• Like 1

I looked at the numbers, and while they had more viewers on average this week than last, they lost more viewers hour-by-hour.

But then, I'm too bored to even read through the recaps without skimming, let alone watch it. So maybe I shouldn't be making comments.

The people want Owens? No way, he's a fat lardo. Nobody would buy him in the main event, let's do Kane!

Cesaro? Not a chance, pal, he's not even American! Or Irish! How about Sheamus?

Sasha Banks? The skinny chick with the goofy glasses? No way, they wanna see Nikki!  

I promise you Vince has no idea why the biz is in the tank. Probably marching around blaming millennials as we speak.