DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I still think he shoulda beat Cena clean at Summerslam with the 540.

I'm sure Vince was all in on the idea of killing the only relevant full time wrestler on his roster in favour of the worst WWE champion ever. Considering how much air time Rollins gets you'd think Raw wouldn't be so shit if he was that good.

Don't get me wrong, Rollins actually makes me pine for the days of WWF Champion Diesel, who was at least decent on the stick, but the fact that Cena's the only relevant wrestler on McMahon's roster says a fuck of a lot more about McMahon's total failure as a booker over the past eight years than it does anything about Rollins or anyone else on the roster. 

McMahon 2015 = Baba 1999

No new stars pushed, thus the entire main event scene started to age out/go stale and the fans got stuck with the same matchups over and over and over and over.

Cena = Misawa

Orton = Kawada

Kane = Kobashi(?)

Big Show = Taue

*Edited because Infinit is right.*

• Like 1

McMahon 2015 = Baba 1999

No new stars pushed, thus the entire main event scene started to age out/go stale and the fans got stuck with the same matchups over and over and over and over.

Cena = Misawa

Orton = Kawada

Kane = Kobashi(?)

Big Show = Taue

*Edited because Infinit is right.*

NOAH Incoming?

I'll make a statement about ratings here:

Is it even possible to compare ratings now vs. even 10 years ago? The rise of internet streaming means that fewer people are watching TV period. RAW is a top 20 show both among 18-49 year olds and overall (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/10/13/cable-weekly-top-25-the-walking-dead-is-no-1-for-oct-5-11-2015-ahs-hotel-opens-well/478339/) and they're getting beat mostly by sports and The Walking Dead. 

Could it be better? Yes, but there's no reason for WWE to panic yet and they likely won't change until the ratings really tank. 

• Like 2

Sooo... Angelina Love just tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/ActualALove/status/655121316173877248

CRd1_WTl_Uk_AA6_WGt.jpg

Wow, that's just offensive. If I were a wrestler, I could never work for a promoter who would send out a message like that.

I mean, how am I supposed to believe you can run a competent promotion when your grammer is that atrocious?

• Like 3

Wow, that's just offensive. If I were a wrestler, I could never work for a promoter who would send out a message like that.

I mean, how am I supposed to believe you can run a competent promotion when your grammer is that atrocious?

*grammar

524223-kelsey-grammer.jpg

• Like 1

*grammar

http://www.ew.com/article/2002/07/01/kelsey-grammer-smacks-down-wrestlers

And he even once took on WWE and won

Also, I think people need to learn the difference between a short term novelty act to a potential long term draw. Bayley was watched over very closely with how she was booked in NXT. You see her character started out as a nobody and turned into a champion. This is called a character arc. Over time the crowd got to know her and enjoyed the journey. And when she won the best they were right with her. Now, I don't know for sure, because I don't work in WWE...but I'm going to guess Bayley's entire road to the title was very closely regarded within Ward and Hunters booking circle (possibly circle jerk) They saw the potential in her and booked her for a journey.

Enzo and Cass on the other hand aren't a draw long term, and they aren't even babyfaces...they will never draw a dime in this business as a team. And it's likely that Ward and Hunter don't even know or care about anything this team does.

This is what I mean by booking a babyface or a heel. The thing that makes a babyface is the journey. The problem with main roster WWE is that they still think wins and losses don't matter. But it goes a bit deeper than that.

A babyface's character goes beyond what he or she says, does, or acts like. A protagonist doesn't even have to be a hero. They could be an anti-hero. A damsel in distress. A loner rogue. Bayley is a perfect babyface because the story was crafted from beginning to end. And let's face it, a century from now when our alien masters have enslaved us, no one is going to remember the John Cena U.S. Open Challenge...Or Dean Ambrose. But those Bayley matches with Sasha Banks will probably go down in time as something along the level of Savage/Steamboat.

Now I'm not shitting on Cena or Ambrose. Those two are good guys. But they suffer from the WWE's biggest problem.

THE WRESTLING INDUSTRY'S WORST WRITER IS ALSO IT'S MOST IMPORTANT AND DEMANDING WRITER.

I don't want to get into a Mr. Plinkett like review of WWE/Wrestling booking. That's for when I go really insane. So I'll just leave with this.

Sometimes a cigar, is just Wrestlings biggest sociopath getting mad at Rusev because he wanted to have a personal life.

Am I supposed to know who Ward is?

*grammar

Atrocious.

Sasha Banks is a more over babyface than Bayley, and she isn't even a babyface.

I think you need to learn that a babyface isn't actually determined by how a crowd reacts. It's based off of how he or she is booked. And it's always been that way.

Uh, no... The wily veteran of RSPW is spot on in this instance. Sasha is like Nakamura from six years ago, yeah, technically she's a heel, but she's such a fantastic performer the crowd has turned her without really turning her, if you get what I mean. How you're booked doesn't mean jack, it's how you connect with the audience. In fact, the WWE is going to have the same problem with Asuka as they currently have with Sasha (and it's not really a problem unless in typical VKM-style they dig in their heels and try to force things their way instead of letting the organic development occur), the fans have already decided that they love Asuka. She could come out and eat a kitten and she'll still get cheers. I'm sure that the idea was to make her a killer heel to face Bayley, but that's simply not going to happen. Her destruction of Dana and impending destruction of Emma have sealed the deal. No matter how heelishly she behaves, Sasha is such a great performer that people get behind her, it's like Flair in the early 1980s... He could act like a total douche and people still loved him. Matter of fact, the smart move for the women's division might be to turn Charlotte and draw on the Flair history. I think she can pull off arrogant heel with a sense of entitlement pretty well. A little reshuffling of say, Tamina, Natalya, and (not sure about the fourth, Nia Jax seems like overkill, maybe Paige in the Tully Blanchard spot?)  and you have a legacy Four Horsewomen stable. Gives you two strong heel stables, allows for Naomi turning back to face (which she's much better at), and lets Sasha, Bayley and Asuka cut loose as three very different but likely equally popular faces.

*grammar

FIFY