DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

What I am figuring from the Del Rio talks is that Lucha Underground isn't as strong as people think.   You would that Del Rio is going to be a main person in the next season.  Especially since Mysterio Jr is coming in.   So why would you want to be the small fish with a couple strikes already on you

Del Rio isn't coming back for LU season 2, supposedly they don't want to deal with him bitching about doing jobs again.  Add that into his no show before Triplemania and its not suprising that he might be willing to bolt.

Speaking of Trish, this upcoming Mania will make it TEN YEARS since the last time the women had a legit serious storyline and title match at WrestleMania. Trish vs Mickie in 2006. 

There was something I liked about that match, but I can't put my finger on it.

• Like 3

Trish won respect at the time because she was just one of a crowded bunch of models forced into wrestling, and instead of half-assing it and not taking it seriously, she busted her ass and became one of the best women's wrestlers at the time in the WWF.

I think a similar story could play out in NXT - if a woman came in as a fitness model or whatever, wasn't very good, but kept improving every match, the crowd would sense this and start rooting for her.

I will say this though, I am happy that we have women who grew up watching the sport getting a shot at it. Becky Lynch, Charlotte, Sasha, Paige and Bayley all grew up watching wrestling and got into the sport on their own. Paige and Charlotte may have had family connections but they weren't models who were recruited to get involved. 

Eva could have probably been at least halfway towards being a new Trish for the WWE if she had any desire to better herself. Now to her credit, she can at least do some stuff without killing herself or her opponent which is probably a huge plus from how she used to be. If this were 15 years ago, the WWE would be having her doing bikini contests and pudding matches with Stacy Keibler. I suspect they would like to do that stuff now...but you know PG.

It's a shame she doesn't have the drive Trish had. The diva's revolution needs a mega diva to be the heel to make the revolution work. Nikki Bella is not that diva. If Trish came around today, she'd be perfect for that role.

I don't really understand how Eva not being very good leads to "she isn't even trying" and pages of complaining every Wednesday, usually (and thankfully) confined to the NXT thread.

1. She is clearly busting her ass even if the results aren't that great at this point.

2. NXT puts on the best and most consistent wrestling show the States have seen in 20 or 30 years. Eva Marie winning jobber matches every couple of weeks really isn't that big of an issue.

I don't know the exact details on why the cops were called, but the main was a brawl between the Hooligans, Goon Squad(Deadly Dale & Idol Bane) and Tryout Show Rejects(Reed Bentley & John Wayne Murdoch).  Lots of weapons, a few broken tables, etc.  Hooligans won and Bentley/Murdoch were throwing a bunch of stuff around afterwards.  After the ring announcer signed out, the wrestlers suddenly got the word "start breaking down NOW" and everyone got to it.

Gary Jay asked me for a lift home and was all "can we leave, like, right now?"

On the Trish/Nxt topic, is there an actual example anyone can point to of someone who could work who got crapped on by the full sail crowd because they didn't come from the indies? Seems like a lazy talking point to me.

The usual answer was Baron Corbin, except the problem was he wasn't getting crapped on because he was a football player, he was getting crapped on because he spent a year working the same 20-second squashes and the crowd was sick of it. Once he stopped doing those, the crowd responded appropriately.

And he was over when he was first doing the squashes.

I think the most recent "examples" are Eva and Dana.  The Dana hate, as it were, is turning around, but she was probably crapped on more for being the first one called up as the Horsewomen were on the way out.

The fact that the Dana hate is turning around is evidence that it's not about being an indy darling, it's about the quality of her work. It's valid to argue that they weren't being fair to her at first, but if they're acknowledging better work, then it's the work that was the issue, not her background.

• Like 1

I didn't dislike Dana Brooke because of her background or look, I disliked Dana Brooke because she was awful.  She's improved, and thus, I don't hate her as much anymore.

Eva Marie has yet to show even that level of improvement, and is far more high profile.

AND far more awful. She's also been around wrestling far longer than Dana. Dana seems like she can and will learn. Eva seems like she can't and won't.