DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The AWA Remco action figures were by far the best wrestling figures until Jakks got the WWF license. Shit I'd still probably take the AWA line over them to be honest.

The GI Joe lines were the best wrestling toy lines ;)

Agreed.

Though, I needed to bring this guy in from the Star Wars line to make it at least one fat guy!

https://img0.etsystatic.com/026/1/6906090/il_570xN.628030762_19ds.jpg

I never noticed before how sad his face is, no wonder Behemoth (My GI Joe wrestling league gimmick name for him) kicked so much ass.  He was just trying to hold back the tears.

The Galoob Simmons still has a more varied moveset than the LJN Rude

o_wwf-ljn-black-card-wrestling-superstar

LJN figures were the best, but LJN Rick Rude was the worst.  Awful pose and he was as tall as Andre.  I just used him as Bobby Heenan's bodyguard.

Sorry, I have to step in, because as nostalgic as I am for the LJN figures and what fond memories they gave me as a child, seriously, those things were fucking horrible.  And I knew it then, but I tried to have as much fun as I could because there was no other option.  You could barely move them, the paint started to come off after three-four matches (there's a reason mint figures are worth a fortune), and you should literally be granted sainthood if you could make your figure stand in the middle of the ring without falling over after about ten seconds.

The only positive to LJN figures was taking red Crayola markers to them and creating fucking bloodbaths.

That being said, I'm still jealous you got to play with any of the 89 versions. 

• Like 2

The funny thing is for me, barely being able to move was what I loved about them.  The were sturdy and wouldn't fall apart.  I also had some of the AWA figures and while they certainly had more articulation, their limbs tended to give way at any time.  Wild Bill Irwin should easily slam Ric Flair without his arms collapsing to his side, dagnab it!  Most of the LJNs had a few built-in moves to be made - bodyslams, suplexes, and Randy Savage could deliver his elbow drop with no problems.

I was (that is, my parents were) able to get a few of the 89 figures from the ads in Pro Wrestling Illustrated.  I also got the Andre the Giant with short hair and black singlet and called him Giant Machine to avoid confusion with long hair/blue trunks Andre.  I remember Ultimate Warrior was always sold out, though.

Oh, I thought I was ever-so-clever to stumble upon the Crayola marker blood idea.  I also slammed them through pencils and pretended those plastic cases for audio cassette tapes were chairs.  Easily breakable and the shards could be used as additional weaponry.  No one ever questioned why I went through so many pencils and audio tapes.  They probably chalked it up to weird kids and their hobbies.

There needs to be an action figure thread again. It's fascinating to hear about what figures were available when and where. Like in England, the last series of the Hasbro line was barely anywhere. I didn't have a toys r us near me, I used to get mine from Argos but they stopped selling them around Razor Ramon and Lex Luger.

And I was slightly too young for LJN, but they look pretty awful. people say that about Hasbros but they can't be beaten in my mind.

• Like 2

the last action figure thread we had, I ended up finding out about Hasbro custom figures which folks were making complete with blister-card boxes and was THIS || CLOSE to buying some. Selling my original collection in order to buy Fifa 97 was the stupidest thing I ever did

Is this a legit rumor? Or just wishing? Because I like this idea. Plus you can start filming in smaller arenas which saves costs for 52 shows.

Just wishing. I can't remember the last time I watched Smackdown. May as well give them one less outlet to overexpose guys and run the same matches, and potentially an avenue for womens' characters that are beyond "psycho crazy" and matches that are beyond piss break where deserved.

Would be something different at least.