DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

My main take away from when they did that segment was how double-awful it made their current announce team seem

Can't really argue with this. My question would be, who should replace them?

I think out of their available personnel, the best combo would be Cole, Regal, and Renee Young. Sadly Regal doesn't appear to be interested (can't imagine why else they would've taken him out of the booth in NXT), and Renee is stuck on host duty. She showed some promise in her limited NXT work, and I can't imagine giving her a chance to sharpen her skills on SD is a worse use of an announcer spot than throwing Jimmy Uso out there every week. Graves would be fine if he wasn't over-directed. He was great on NXT Kids, but it's tough to imagine him not becoming JBL v.2 on the main shows.

Still better than naming his finisher the Hollycaust

Okay, so I'm *NOT* insane when I remember them using that name for like 2 weeks for the Falcon Arrow

Nope, that was a thing that happened.

God bless Vince Russo.

Okay, so I'm *NOT* insane when I remember them using that name for like 2 weeks for the Falcon Arrow

IIRC, Holly said in his book that he didn't get the holocaust reference until after later on, when someone explained it to him.  Um... yeah.  Supposedly, the name was Russo's idea.  Holly hated using the falcon arrow regardless of what they called it.

IIRC, Holly said in his book that he didn't get the holocaust reference until after later on, when someone explained it to him.  Um... yeah.  Supposedly, the name was Russo's idea.  Holly hated using the falcon arrow regardless of what they called it.

He said he read a few books on the subject and that's why he thought it'd be offensive. But like you said, he hated the Falcon Arrow and thought of the Alabama Slam while watching a match where someone did the usual up and under corner spot. He thought it'd be cool to catch the person jumping over him and whip them to the mat and that's how the Alabama Slam was born. Vince wanted to call it the Alabama Slammer but Holly wanted the Alabama Slam. Holly said the announcers just called it the Alabama Slam so it worked out.

That was like a seventeen-minute-long live-action Homestar Runner skit, so of course I absolutely loved it. 

New Day is like black millennial DX at this point, so I'm sure for some people, that video will be too much, but I am in that exact cultural demo, so I welcome more super-long videos of these guys acting like jackasses. 

• Like 1