DVDVR Message Board

UFC 192: Cormier vs. Gustafsson (10/3/2015) - Houston, TX (Toyota Center)

Elsalvajeloco

How come Rose's gear is Green/ Yellow/ Red? I thought she was American?

Her parents are from Lithuania.

I believe you have a choice based on your birthplace and/or heritage. For example, Overeem would be able to choose between Great Britain and the Netherlands.

Well, what the fuck do I know?

Edit: how the fuck do you score that third round? DC was winning convincingly then got drilled with a knee and was dropped.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

That really was the best Gustafsson could have hope for. Tire out Cormier, play keep away, and go to the body. The problem was he kept ducking his head into that uppercut. In my opinion, that was his undoing. Well, that and Cormier can take really big strikes and come back. He would have stopped a fair amount of light heavyweights with that knee and subsequent follow up strikes, but Cormier was super resilient. 

• Like 1

from the predictions thread:

Decisions doesn't necessarily mean bad. After doing the results on the board for two years now, I would say at least 7/10 shows where everyone was predicting decisions up and down the card end up being good cards. It's just kinda the nature of making predictions. Unless you have several fighters people see as fight finishers, it's probably going to end up that way. If something like Jouban vs. Tumenov goes to decision, I don't think too many people are going to be upset. The style matchups have more of a bearing on which fights are exciting than the finish rates, especially if heavyweight MMA has taught us anything.

i understand and agree with that.

that being said, it feels like a card with more finishes is more exciting. not that it's necessarily true, just that it feels that way.

otherwise:

did i miss an official Jones-Cormier II announcement?  i heard that mentioned a few times in the post-fight but never heard annything official.

Cormier-Bader is a great LHW title fight to make if Jones is not the next challenger. actually, i now hope to see this fight, title or not.

Sage Northcutt's hype train just jumped to the express track. Trevino's pleas had to have fallen on deaf ears, because he was dead to rights. look forward to this prospect's next fight.

Sergio Pettis. i know he won, but he really needs to show enthusiasm if he wants to move up. Cariaso is a top 10 guy, but Pettis fought that third round like he didn't give a shit.

was sad to see Viktor Pesta lose, i've been following him for a while and would hope he'd continue his climb.

Just got back to my hotel room after the fights. Thank god for that main event, or that could have been a terrible show. I've been to 6-8 of these over the years, and I thought this might be the worst card I've seen live until DC and Gustafsson put on that war. UFC 61 still sucks the worst, and hopefully it stays that way. Time to get more drinks.

• Like 3

did i miss an official Jones-Cormier II announcement?  i heard that mentioned a few times in the post-fight but never heard annything official.

Sholler was at the post-fight presser and didn't announce any fights. I think the only thing he said was that there will probably an update this upcoming week.

Joseph Benavidez, you didn't get booed there because half the fans were Russian.  You were booed because the fight was garbage.

So the first half all went very well until the main PPV card started then things took a slide.  Especially with that horrible heavyweight fight.  Thankfully the main event redeemed the rest of the show.

The Toyota Center was not sold out at all.  I would say about 3/4 of the way full.  A lot of empties on the lower levels.  I think the lower level seats were too pricey, and fans would rather have a better view of the arena by sitting in the upper level, which for UFC, isn't half bad.  Honestly, 14K and change sounds like an exaggerated number.  But not surprised it was UFC's lowest gate and attendance in Toyota Center history based on what I viewed live.  

I can't imagine losing Hendricks cost too many ticket sales.

Francisco Trevino should be fired.  That was a legit stoppage.  Same with Alan Jouban.

Ryan Bader knows he's not a title contender and he accepted as such after the fight.

• Like 1

Trevino probably is gonna get cut for that.

Magomedov/Jordan was bit of a weird choice for the main card. Ruslan is a decent HW prospect, but he ain't the most entertaining fighter. I would have went with Eye-Pena, Rodriguez-Hooker, Tumenov-Jouban, and then the two LHW fights. Not exactly a bunch of name fighters underneath, but that's whatever. Rodriguez and Tumenov are the guys you can readily use on the main cards of any show, and they're fan friendly. Magomedov will still be trying to round out his game on Fight Pass and prelims of random FS1 shows over his next few fights. That's a super tough position for someone who isn't balls to the wall.

• Like 1

So how was the Pena/Eye fight?

Pena vs. Zingano would be interesting but it sounds like Cat might not want to fight anymore since 3 or 4 girls have called her out in the last few months and all you here is she is still depressed about the Rousey lose where her gameplan was stupid.

Well, what the fuck do I know?

Edit: how the fuck do you score that third round? DC was winning convincingly then got drilled with a knee and was dropped.

Depends on whether you prefer a fighter on top for most of the round (Cormier) or a fighter doing the most damage of the round in a short amount of time (Gustafsson). Reminded me of the fourth round in Jones vs. Gustaffson which went the opposite way for Gus as he was on top till he got rocked with the elbow.

Gustafsson's unlucky in his UFC Light Heavyweight Championship challenges against Bones and now Cormier.

• Like 1

Even in defeat, I think Gustafsson went a long way in repairing the damage his standing in the division suffered after getting bopped on the head by Rumble back in January. He looked great for long stretches of the fight but really, really struggled with the clinch->uppercut gameplan that DC kept employing to great effect. He eventually learned to clutch for dear life onto the right wrist but by then such purely defensive tactics were too late, as he needed to score in the last round but just couldn't do it.

For the third round, I'd probably give it to Gus because he damn near ended the fight and inflicted a great deal of damage even if in a short amount of time.

• Like 1