Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Her interaction with Angela was fucking hilarious 

It was bittersweet because I used to work for a Japanese company and I always knew that when they were speaking amongst themselves in their own language, they usually weren't saying nice things.  That's why I took a page out of Angela's playbook and learned enough conversational Japanese to figure out what they were saying.

So back to the episode.  Even though I think that Veidt is on Mars, I still think that Trieu may have had some involvement since I think that Trieu's daughter is her clone and that's how Veidt got his hands on the cloning tech he has at his disposal.  Veidt mentioned that while he was Phillps's and Crookshank's master, he wasn't their maker and it's kinda obvious that Bahn's nightmare is probably one of Trieu's life experiences when she herself was a child.

I also think I'm on point with Angela's father Redford-rations possibly being the entire city of Tulsa or at least the land where Trieu Enterprises is located.  There is probably some Forget It Jake.  It's Chinatown land grab going on and part of the plan is to get the cops to go to war with 7th Kavalry.

Somehow the Senator is tied up in it, but I am not sure how quite yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J.T. said:

It was bittersweet because I used to work for a Japanese company and I always knew that when they were speaking amongst themselves in their own language, they usually weren't saying nice things.  That's why I took a page out of Angela's playbook and learned enough conversational Japanese to figure out what they were saying.

So back to the episode.  Even though I think that Veidt is on Mars, I still think that Trieu may have had some involvement since I think that Trieu's daughter is her clone and that's how Veidt got his hands on the cloning tech he has at his disposal.  Veidt mentioned that while he was Phillps's and Crookshank's master, he wasn't their maker and it's kinda obvious that Bahn's nightmare is probably one of Trieu's life experiences when she herself was a child.

I also think I'm on point with Angela's father Redford-rations possibly being the entire city of Tulsa or at least the land where Trieu Enterprises is located.  There is probably some Forget It Jake.  It's Chinatown land grab going on and part of the plan is to get the cops to go to war with 7th Kavalry.

Somehow the Senator is tied up in it, but I am not sure how quite yet.

I'm with you as her daughter being a clone and her memories being Trieu's past experiences that's the first thing that came to mind.   On the Veidt front,  I found it interesting that Trieu has a statue of him and it looks exactly how he looks currently..  It could be nothing but damn I think she knows exactly where he is and what has happened to him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm with you as her daughter being a clone and her memories being Trieu's past experiences that's the first thing that came to mind.   On the Veidt front,  I found it interesting that Trieu has a statue of him and it looks exactly how he looks currently..  It could be nothing but damn I think she knows exactly where he is and what has happened to him. 

Trieu definitely knows what's going on and more importantly, where Veidt is.  What connection or any involvement she has (if any) with Veidt's incarceration remains to be seen.

At first I thought that Veidt was merely allowing Trieu to watch things while he took a sabbatical, but then he started putting way too much effort in finding a means of escaping his imprisonment and the mass murder of all of his clone servants out of pure frustration pretty much solidified the idea that he is more prisoner than guest.

It's hard to figure out what is a McGuffin and what is a Checkov's Gun on this show.  No mention of the mysterious meteorite after the opening scene so is it important or was all of that just an introduction to Lady Trieu?

It is also hard to figure out what is coincidence and what isn't.  In the first episode, there was the news blurb showing Dr. Manhattan leveling what appeared to be the remains of a castle on Mars and then in the very next episode, Topher builds a castle with his Dr. Manhattan construction set and levels it when Angela talks to him about the sheriff's murder and I don't trust the super clarification of Dr. Manhattan's powers in this show to believe that there is no meta connection.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode.  Looking Glass is one of the more intriguing characters and it looks like he'll be a main focal point of this part of the story.

Oh, and I'm guessing that the mysterious Lubeman is probably Petey.

Edited by J.T.
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, J.T. said:

 

It's hard to figure out what is a McGuffin and what is a Checkov's Gun on this show.  No mention of the mysterious meteorite after the opening scene so is it important or was all of that just an introduction to Lady Trieu?

 

Oh, that meteorite has to be something.  It's obviously the reason she was in a hurry to buy that house and land.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What an episode.  WATCHMEN just gets crazier and crazier.  Some of the stuff that happened we predicted as it was kinda obvious but other things are just getting started.  

The music was fan fucking tastic holy shit..     Lindelof doing a character study ep you know it's going to be fire 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What an episode.  WATCHMEN just gets crazier and crazier.  Some of the stuff that happened we predicted as it was kinda obvious but other things are just getting started.  

The music was fan fucking tastic holy shit..     Lindelof doing a character study ep you know it's going to be fire 

It felt good to be partially correct.

Spoiler

Veidt is on a moon of Jupiter, not Mars.

The answer of how in the fuck did he get there is undoubtedly "Dr. Manhattan," and the answer of the question of who in the fuck does he think will rescue him is probably Lady Trieu but connecting the dots of logic and event is still a daunting task.

And yes, I don't think you could have a better run of excellent episodic television if you tried.  My gold standard used to be Netflix's Altered Carbon, but now it's Watchmen.

So far, the only red herring has been Panda.  He's been in like one episode and has fallen off of the edge of the earth.  I also wish they'd do something more with Pirate Jenny.

The absence of Panda reminded me that the deadly force restriction for the Tulsa police has not been rescinded in light of Judd's murder.   The war that someone really wants between 7K and law enforcement is on the way

Timothy Blake Nelson has been tremendous.  I hope Kevin Feige pulls the trigger on re-casting him as Sam Sterns / The Leader for the upcoming She-Hulk joint on Disney+ but not if the shooting schedule comes at the expense of the inevitable S2 of Watchmen.

Edited by J.T.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the old flame drama in Batwoman might finally be done with for a while. I really just don't care at all for Sophie. Was nice to see Julia Pennyworth. Not sure I like them making her another old flame for Kate though they kind hinted to some chemistry in the comics even if they never pushed forward on it. Wonder how much they plan to pull from the Bennett run of Batwoman. It wasn't a particularly good run so hopefully they change things up a decent amount.

Supergirl was good. J'onn's scenes dealing with his brother and how to reconcile with him were nice. The Leviathan stuff was interesting enough though probably the weakest part this week. The highlight was easily Lena finally revealing herself to Kara. That was a wonderful scene that made you feel for both a good deal.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a great episode of Watchmen. For me (haven’t read the comics) there was a bit too much going on last week to keep clued in to but this week did a great job of keeping things simple while still explaining a good bit of whats been going on. 

Edited by peterien
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I didn't think I'd ever see 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

the damn squid attack on screen

  but damn it was terrifying.   

@J.T. Panda made a very brief cameo this week at the station, good call on him he's a guy that has been lurking and he could definitely be in on something  

Also, I feel like the pandas in the pamphlet young LG was handing out at the beginning was some kind of tie to Panda.  For the life of me, I don't know how, but I don't think it's a coincidence.  

I love how these episodes can drop some pretty big reveals, but then also set up more mysteries.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 6:12 AM, Eivion said:

Looks like the old flame drama in Batwoman might finally be done with for a while. I really just don't care at all for Sophie. Was nice to see Julia Pennyworth. Not sure I like them making her another old flame for Kate though they kind hinted to some chemistry in the comics even if they never pushed forward on it. Wonder how much they plan to pull from the Bennett run of Batwoman. It wasn't a particularly good run so hopefully they change things up a decent amount.

Supergirl was good. J'onn's scenes dealing with his brother and how to reconcile with him were nice. The Leviathan stuff was interesting enough though probably the weakest part this week. The highlight was easily Lena finally revealing herself to Kara. That was a wonderful scene that made you feel for both a good deal.

I thought Katie McGrath acted her ass off in that scene, which isn't something I often say for an Arrowverse show.  A huge part of me was like, why doesn't Supergirl just tell her the truth, in that hardly anyone knows who she is.  Lena keeps trying to convince herself she's not a villain, and I wonder what will happen that will finally have her go full stop.

The Sophie nonsense has been the only thing I don't like about Batwoman, so I'm glad we are parking that.  I like that they at least gave a little depth to what  happened at the academy, and I kinda felt for Sophie there, because I know people in real life that  have had to make similar choices.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Watchmen, for those unaware, Lindelof confirmed in an interview that:

Spoiler

Each time we Adrian a year has passed. I think maybe he thought the cakes having an additional candle in them would be enough to tell people that what we're seeing is a year passing by with each episode for Adrian.

My guess is that Adrian went missing in whatever year, 2012 I think, and we'll see his timeline catch up with the events we're seeing on earth in the finale or penultimate episode and he'll be rescued off of Europa.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I thought Katie McGrath acted her ass off in that scene, which isn't something I often say for an Arrowverse show.  A huge part of me was like, why doesn't Supergirl just tell her the truth, in that hardly anyone knows who she is.  Lena keeps trying to convince herself she's not a villain, and I wonder what will happen that will finally have her go full stop.

The Sophie nonsense has been the only thing I don't like about Batwoman, so I'm glad we are parking that.  I like that they at least gave a little depth to what  happened at the academy, and I kinda felt for Sophie there, because I know people in real life that  have had to make similar choices.

The added depth to the academy situation was nice and a bit understandable. Still glad they are seemingly over with that drama and hope they stick with it. 

I love how Lena keeps saying she is not a villain. You can tell a part of knows she is going too far, but she is also too far gone to be able to pull herself back. I like that her anger is justified taking into her account her history from before National City and how Kara screwed up so bad taking too long to tell her the truth. When Lena learned it left her with no one to really turn to since it was a secret literally all of her other friends were keeping from her. There is a sympathy its impossible not to have for Lena. Its just that her anger is also being channeled in one of the worst ways possible and turning her into the thing she wants to be the least in life.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Regarding Watchmen, for those unaware, Lindelof confirmed in an interview that:

  Hide contents

Each time we Adrian a year has passed. I think maybe he thought the cakes having an additional candle in them would be enough to tell people that what we're seeing is a year passing by with each episode for Adrian.

My guess is that Adrian went missing in whatever year, 2012 I think, and we'll see his timeline catch up with the events we're seeing on earth in the finale or penultimate episode and he'll be rescued off of Europa.

 

Veidt went missing in 2012, yeah.

So if we see him twice in an episode, is it two years has passed? Or just every episode is one year for him? We're about to be on episode 6, so let's go with it being a year every episode regardless of how many times we cut away and back to him. That's 5 episodes as of right now... we're in 2017 in Vedit's time, and he's about to go on trial on Europa by the Game Warden.

To catch up with Watchmen's timeline (2019), it would be Episode 8 when he's in our/the show's time. And wouldn't you know it, look at Episode 8's title...

Spoiler

A God Walks Into A Bar

Episode 8 would be the penultimate episode of this season, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...