DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

1 hour ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

The amount of build out they had to do for a single episode makes me think they're really serious about a Batwoman series, and I'd totally be down for that.

I was surprised at the amount of building blocks they had in place this episode. I honestly didn't think they would do that much until I saw the episode.

• Like 1

It will be very interesting to see how things end with that one. So,

Spoiler

Ollie is totally biting it next year, isn't he? If it happens does that end Arrow?

Its kind of funny and sad that the most we get of Superman in these shows now ends with an explanation of why we might not see him again or at least for a very long time.

We might not see him for a long time, but for the first time ever, they are having Lois pregnant and explaining how she will be able to deal with a super baby in her belly kicking without killing her.

Oh yeah, Ollie's done.  But then again, this might be their fanboy swerve to us all.

"NO!  I am NOT hugging you again.  You got me to hug you twice.  No."

• Haha 1

While I haven't read the comics I absolutely loved Elseworlds.  I'm glad it didn't have that devastating moment like Professor Stein's death had last year.  Instead it was a really damn great miniseries and it shows just how much love and attention to detail goes into making them.  I also liked how even when it got crazy they found ways to break the fourth wall (the fourth craziest thing in 3 hours line had me in stitches)  I love these and can't wait to see Crisis next year.

Haven't watched Elseworlds or Black Lightning yet, but got caught up on the Berlanti-verse shows otherwise.  Lol, the Legends two-parter was a lot of fun and the second hour was bonkers ridiculous.  So many good throwaway jokes in that hour.  The missed calls from Barry, Ollie, and Kara; the fake opening credits scenes, puppets (singing puppets, even).

Lol, going to be honest here.  I'd watch SoS every frikking week, lol.

As much as I gripe about Legends being the least of the Berlanti-verse shows, it's doing a lot of things right.  They've done a good job building the characters and finding arcs for everyone.  I really expected Jes Macallan to have to be shoehorned into eps to justify paying her, but nope, they've done a good job adding her to the mix organically.

Comedy doesn't really seem to be Matt Ryan's forte, but they've still managed to make Constantine a fun addition.

KInda digging all the Berlanti shows DCU shows right now.   Really enjoyed Supergirl and Arrow this season (though the prison riot ep was all kinds of dumb).  Really curious to see where they go with the Flash and Supergirl midseason cliffhangers.  Though it's going to be really annoying if Supergirl's season ends with her beating up a bad guy and people suddenly deciding "Yay, aliens."

• Like 1

Yeah, we kinda slept on Legends this week with the crossover. Since they weren't part of it(besides Gary lmao), they just decided to go full on batshit insane instead.

I'm VERY curious to see how they manage Crisis next year. If it's a mid-season deal like normal, I can't see anyone permanently dying, but if I had to put money on anyone, it's Ollie. The timeline has changed so much, nothing we've seen is a guarantee he lives. Thawne mentioned him living to be 84, then we saw an older version of him in Legends s1, but between Flashpoint, the Legends dicking around with time, and The Monitor's "deal", all bets are off.  Also, this might be their get out of jail free card when it comes to Barry disappearing in the Crisis. 

WILL LOIS' BABY BE SUPERBOY PRIME???????? Bring on the anti-matter.

Also, I love how these low budget TV shows can make you care about Superman a million times better than these bajillion dollar DC flicks can.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, Player One said:

Haven't watched Elseworlds or Black Lightning yet, but got caught up on the Berlanti-verse shows otherwise. 

Krondon's Tobias Whale is almost a better Wilson Fisk than Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk.

That's the only thing keeping from getting solidly behind Whale as the best super villain on television.  His character is a bit too much like the Kingpin for my tastes, but I charge that against Salim Akil. 

Krondon just does as he's directed to do.

I think I will be done with this show once Whale gets what's coming to him.  The writers have either face turned or killed off the members of BL's rogues gallery and the ASA as an evil organization needs a lot more fleshing out if it is going to fill the vacuum after BL and Tobias have their final showdown.

Bill Duke is doing his best to keep the ASA metaplot interesting, but he's just playing an expanded parody of his role as the Detective from Menace 2 Society and we're all in on the joke.  Odell will need an overhaul if he is going to take over as the BBEG for the show.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:29 PM, RandomAct said:

Batman exists on Kara's Earth. She's mentioned it multiple times, so it stands to reason that she knows he exists on another Earth as well.

I think it meant that Superman from Earth 38 and Batman from Earth 1 have had adventures together. Which is I think Crisis is going to really do, and that's just merge Supergirl and Black Lightning into the other shows. 

That line from an episode of BL that mentioned Supergirl and Vixen made me think that his Earth has versions of both, since Vixen is from Earth-one and Kara is from Earth-two.

Yes, and the version of Batman Kara knows of is almost certainly from her Earth. Pretty sure its been implied she has met him. I'm not really sure why Johnny Sorrow is trying to make this more difficult. Heroes are a thing on Kara's earth. We are just focused on Kara's particular city. Its why I keep hoping Black Lightning takes place there since heroes and meta-humans are already well established.

Also Earth-2 is Harry's and Zoom's earth.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, J.T. said:

Krondon's Tobias Whale is almost a better Wilson Fisk than Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk.

That's the only thing keeping from getting solidly behind Whale as the best super villain on television.  His character is a bit too much like the Kingpin for my tastes, but I charge that against Salim Akil. 

Krondon just does as he's directed to do.

I think I will be done with this show once Whale gets what's coming to him.  The writers have either face turned or killed off the members of BL's rogues gallery and the ASA as an evil organization needs a lot more fleshing out if it is going to fill the vacuum after BL and Tobias have their final showdown.

Bill Duke is doing his best to keep the ASA metaplot interesting, but he's just playing an expanded parody of his role as the Detective from Menace 2 Society and we're all in on the joke.  Odell will need an overhaul if he is going to take over as the BBEG for the show.

With all the deserved talk about the other DC shows I feel bad for not mentioning Black Lightning for quite awhile.  I still love the show a ton but agree I'm not certain what will happen once Tobias is taken out.  I would personally try and find a way to have him around as long as possible as he's definitely one of the more interesting villains on the DC shows.

• Like 2

I can never get enough of the alt costumes/persona of the heroes. Like last year with the bitchin' Nazi Supergirl threads, this year was Dark Superman... that getup made him look like a badass. Speaking of which, Batwoman and the Monitor's getup was fantastic too.

How the hell can Lois wield the Solar Hammer?!

When "somebody save me" kicked in, I thought they actually managed to get Tom Welling for a cameo (I'm behind on Supergirl).

Okay, so Crisis on Infinite Earth. They finally will introduce the Lanterns? Help launch the Lanterns (another potentially huge franchise). Also, would lead to some easily annual crossover story arcs with the Lantern wars and all. And maybe they'll give Lyla powers as her Harbinger codename.

"I think the Pet Shop Boys Boys here need an education in how things work around here."

6 hours ago, turk128 said:

When "somebody save me" kicked in, I thought they actually managed to get Tom Welling for a cameo (I'm behind on Supergirl).

Yeah Amell had to confirm there was no Welling or Rosenbaum cameo after he was seen with the two for other business dealings.

• Like 1

Cyborg?

I'd probably be a lot more interested if the team seemed to be staying closer to the original group.  Shoehorning Cyborg and Crazy Jane in doesn't do a lot for me.  I'm actually more bothered by Crazy Jane than Cyborg.  Using the Morrison run as source material would probably result in a trainwreck.  If they were going to add in Cyborg, throw in someone from the Kupperberg/Lightle run.  Not much use for those IP's and they're mostly unknown/unexplored, so you can alter them for tv without drawing the ire of comic fans.