DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I’ve only seen the first two parts and it’s been fantastic. I don’t give a fuck about plot holes, or any other nerd obsessive bullshit. These tv shows are nailing it as far as embracing the tone of why we love comic books. I stopped buying comics years ago due to cost and what I felt was a lack of what I loved and grew up with. These shows embrace what I feel comics should be.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I’ve only seen the first two parts and it’s been fantastic. I don’t give a fuck about plot holes, or any other nerd obsessive bullshit. These tv shows are nailing it as far as embracing the tone of why we love comic books. I stopped buying comics years ago due to cost and what I felt was a lack of what I loved and grew up with. These shows embrace what I feel comics should be.

The back half was great too.

So just finished the last two parts of Crisis on Earth X. This was easily the best of any of the crossovers and is really a high point for the entirety of the Arrowverse line of shows. They seemed to really learn from the mistakes made in past crossovers and hit great notes for several character/relationship arcs. That said, damn them for that death. If I could actually cry for tv/movie moments they might have had me there. I do love this version of Snart we gained. Really liked the ending  as well. I thought it was touching despite the many annoyances both relationships gave me on occasion.

I only saw the first two parts but hot damn is it great.  I don't watch Arrow but if it's worth jumping into then I might.  But so far this is definitely the best crossover they've done yet.  The interactions work wonderfully and even play nicely into current stories (Sara as the hot rebound chick for Alex was not something I though of before but it was pretty funny to see play out)  The story arc did remind me of Brad Pitt's famous line from Inglorious Bastards and it's cool seeing futuristic Nazis getting their asses kicked (before the main folks take over)

EDIT:  Anyone notice they've mentioned Spiderman the past couple weeks?  Is there something I'm missing here?  Seems strange that they'd reference him and not one of their own characters.

They Spider-man mention was amusing though damn weird with them talking about the competition.

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

(Sara as the hot rebound chick for Alex was not something I though of before but it was pretty funny to see play out) 

Seriously? I thought that one was pretty obvious. The only thing I wasn't sure on was how fast it would happen. They played the whole thing out perfectly.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Seriously? I thought that one was pretty obvious. The only thing I wasn't sure on was how fast it would happen. They played the whole thing out perfectly.

I never thought of it before while Alex was with Maggie, and it didn't cross my mind before the crossover.  But yes, as soon as they were were in the same camera shot it was obvious where it was going.

And I'm hoping to catch at least part three tonight, time permitting part 4 as well.  I don't know who's dying in this but I'll be prepared with a tissue and some kind of excuse for the unexpected waterworks.

The Firestorm stuff fucking wrecked me, I won't lie.

I thought the whole thing was epic and fun out side of the minor things I mentioned above. Give this thing the Justice League budget and you have the best superhero flick ever. It hit every emotional beat, the soundtrack was killer, the action scenes were stellar and most of the characters had a good bit of play. I can't ask for much more.

Fucking RED TORNADO~!

Also, I missed Tom Cavanaugh's Thawne. He just comes of ass so much more sinister than the guy who  plays the "real" Thawne. He truly is Flash's greatest villain, and was the most frightening member of the heel team.

• Like 2

I thought I was going to need to come up with an excuse for waterworks at the end.  No need, we both saw it and it destroyed both of us.  Holy fuck that death was heavy.  But that was far and away the best crossover they've done and they should be highly commended for it.  If they put just the X earth episodes on Bluray it'd be a day one purchase for me.  And it's amazing that DC manages to bork a lot of their movies yet they can pull this off with flying colors.  Maybe the TV folks should have a hand in the movie business, this with better budget/effects on the big screen would do wonders.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

So the waitress at the wedding was totally a Barry/Iris descendant from the future, right?

I like the fan theory that it was Thawne. Then you add in that line at the end, “I wonder whose face I’ll be wearing next time we meet” and yeah. Might not be him, but whatever, I like the theory.

It was nice seeing r/arrow r/FlashTV implode in on itself after Oliver and Felicity got married. For as much as they make fun of the Twitter/Tumblr shippers, they’re just as bad. Although, Felicity the hacker is a little overpowered, considering she hacked the meta human prison at Star Labs and it’s supposed to be future tech from Thawne’s time. But, who cares, it’s a fucking comic book show. Obsessing over minor details like that is absurd when you’ve got people merging into one person and shooting flames out of their hands and an alien from another world that looks like a human and a lot of other stuff. It’s like fans of the Walking Dead nitpicking about them burning up so much ammo every episode when it’s a show about fuckin’ zombies. Just sit back and enjoy it, my god.

Didn’t Thawne help him? It’s been about 2 months since I did my last watch through the beginning, but I want to say Thawne at least helped him build the prison. Either way, that’s not the point, I don’t care if Felicity is a good or bad hacker. It was a minor gripe, I don’t have any issue with Felicity and Oliver being married.

Although, it’s kind of a dick move when you think about William, though. “oh, hey son, meet your stepmom”. Luckily William likes Felicity, and it was an impulse marriage, so they’ll probably have an official one towards the end of the season I would imagine.

Well it looks like they will be celebrating next episode. And yeah, it was a but of dick move to give William no notice, but its not like the kid wasn't aware the two were together.

39 minutes ago, Casey said:

Didn’t Thawne help him? It’s been about 2 months since I did my last watch through the beginning, but I want to say Thawne at least helped him build the prison. Either way, that’s not the point, I don’t care if Felicity is a good or bad hacker. It was a minor gripe, I don’t have any issue with Felicity and Oliver being married.

I think you might be right about Thawne helping. Either way I would expect Felicity to have some idea of the systems already considering she is friends with Cisco. If I recall the two groups share tech pretty regularly.

9 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

“General, let’s step outside.” Made me cheer out loud. 

Between the DCW shows and Riverdale, what’s next? I’m waiting now for Berlanti to make a cool show about Richie Rich, Wendy, Casper, Hot Stuff, Little Dot, And Little Lotta.

They’re developing a Doctor Thirteen Show which sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

10 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Berlanti is a comic book fan and he’s running CW basically. The movies aren’t being made by people who love the source material.

I'm sure it wouldn't be easy, but it would behoove them to work on changing that.  If one's going to put tons of money into a movie at least get somebody behind it that knows the source material.  If they can't be bothered with that then it doesn't deserve to be seen IMO.