DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I didn't mind the very special episode but I'm kind of numb to the whole gun control debate (half my friends are in favor of stricter laws, half aren't) so I've gotten used to just tuning it out. I liked the Wild Dog back story and having Oliver solve a problem by using his words instead of his fists. 

Is the musical going to be just Flash? Because I could swear I remember reading something about it involving Supergirl too. 

Just when you think they couldn't make Wild Dog more lovable, he reveals he's afraid of ghosts. And Mr Terrific's costume is better than his comic counterpart!

The mentioning of Starhaven and the Legion ring cameo from season one, they really are setting things up for Legion of Super-Heroes next season.

The reveal for Prometheus on Arrow was kind of shitty. It doesn't really make sense and really wasn't executed well. Its also a blatant copy of the Flash villain arc they used the previous two seasons. I mean I wouldn't have been big on Talia being it, but it would have at least made sense. This felt purely like some gotcha bs to screw with the audience instead of an attempt to write a decent story.

18 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Barry didn't do anything stupid this episode. Besides, if superheroes didn't make mistakes and bad decisions the stories would be boring. 

Do I kill him? Send him back to the other earth that they went to such great lengths to send him to last time? Leave it up to the other gorillas?

Nah fuck it, I'll send him to the same place where everyone else escapes from. Wouldn't you at least try to remove his telepathy? Or just hit him with a shovel a few times so he's at least brain damaged? Story arcs that don't happen enough: Gorillas being hit with shovels.

7 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I think Arrow may have booked themselves in a corner with Prometheus. I have the feeling they had the idea for the character before they knew who it was going to be.

They did that last year with Laurel's death. Katie Cassidy only knew a couple of weeks in advance. The actor who did end up Prometheus actually did read comics about his character before they revealed to him he would be Prometheus instead. It sounds like he was at least told early on, just not until he actually showed up on set the first time. That said, going off of the show-runner's interview on ign, it sounds they knew where they were going with it. It was just a fairly dumb idea.

I predict Jessie is going to become a super villian, not because she's in any way evil, but because she'll realize she's surrounded by idiots and decides to kill them all.  How many people on this show are actively stupid?  Caitlin keeping that rock was dumb.  Iris deciding she doesn't want to get married any more based on something that she had to already know.  Seriously, would she have been mad if he asked her to marry him because he saw a ring on her finger when she died?  Wally deciding to go after Savitar by himself was pretty dumb.  Barry being an idiot is the key to the show, I don't know why everyone else has to be just as dumb.  With that said, I've watched every episode, and this is pretty much the only show I watch while it airs.  

• Like 1

Barry is an idiot to say the least, so much so you almost forget how stupid the others are.  The Savitar stuff is good though.

Supergirl and LoT were amazing.  The return of Rip was pretty well-done and I am excited to see him back on board.  Nice to see the human version of Gideon (I guess that's the actual person playing it)

Okay so Savitar is definitely evil future Wally, right?

Like, all the exposition and knowledge of past events he has leads to it SO HARD that the idea of him being anyone else feels dumb. And honestly, if so they should have revealed it here.

Because Barry facing down his own inevitable failure to rescue Wally from the Speed Force in the face of the consequences of said failure would be amazing whereas I feel like Wally probably gets rescued somehow next ep and instead is meant to become Savitar by some other means which...eh.

I'm not quite convinced Savitar is Wally, but it certainly makes the most sense.  Doesn't seem to be too many other directions to go without making Savitar some random dude or pulling something out of nowhere (Jay Garrick is Savitar for.... no reason whatsoever?).

Finally got caught up on the season.  Enjoying the season as a whole, but, yeah, the trope of everyone competing to be the dumbest person in the room is annoying.  Feel like dumb HG is a rib on the rest of the characters because he might be the only person in the cast who doesn't do something stupid, dangerous, or ridiculously short-sighted this season.  

And they still haven't figured out how to play up Barry's powers in a consistent fashion.  It's been well-established that Barry's metabolism is sped up, letting him heal from injuries quickly and making most drugs ineffective - they even referenced that in this week's ep when Savitar stabbed him - so having the gorillas knock him out twice with a dart gun was kinda annoying.  Wouldn't he be unconscious for literally seconds?

Barry and Iris' romantic relationship will never not creep me out, considering they were raised as brother and sister.  

Caught up on Legends and almost caught up on Supergirl.  I don't love Legends as much as a lot of you, but it's solid fun each week.  Evil Rip Hunter was fun.  I don't quite like the Legion of Doom just being three familiar big bads from previous seasons, but it's ok.  This season has a more "comic book-y" feel, less sci-fi, which i thought was a bit of a mistake last season.

I'm gonna give up on Supergirl soon - probably when I catch up.  I'll give it another try next season.  It's not terrible, and the writing has been decent.  Melissa Benoist is still note-perfect as Kara.  But it feels like they tossed aside most of what I liked about last season to make the show more CW-generic.  Literally, I think the only change I like from last season to this is Alex' coming out.  I don't have any leanings towards LGBT characters but they've handled it well.  That's more of a lateral move for me, though, since I thought the Alex-Maxwell Lord had a lot of legs. Really miss Calista Flockhart, Lucy Lane, Max Lord, etc.  The new characters/acotrs haven't been a patch on them. 

Nothing against Chris Wood, but Mon-el has become the CW's answer to Roman Reigns.for me.  He  just doesn't register with me at all and the megapush is annoying.  I didn't love the idea of the Jimmy-Kara relationship, but going full-stop on it so they can pair her with Mon-el is annoying.

Supergirl may have been my favorite show last season - more for the stuff set at CatCo than the super-heroing - but this season is a slog for me.