DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

7 hours ago, ivpvideos said:

What a weird episode of Arrow. Just completely out of nowhere. 

I really really dug it. Like at the very least, Wild Dog got a lot of character development.

He regretted not having his gun because his wife forced him to not carry it with him when he went to the shitty part of town. His wife's addiction was what brought the violence back to their home when they had manage to escaped.

• Like 1

Arrow was weird, but I thought it would have been fine without the Twitter debates in the Arrow Cave. Some of the dialogue was just really hamfisted. Otherwise, I love the character development for Wild Dog, and the message the episode tried to convey would have been nice if better written.  I did like the little thing of OLIVER saving the city this time instead of The Green Arrow.

I dug the episode a decent bit for Ollie really get into the role of mayor on a legit non easy fix issue and some development on Wild Dog.

7 hours ago, turk128 said:

Is it me or are they setting up to bring in Big Papa Lex on Supergirl? (I don't read any casting spoilers so I'm not sure.)

That battle suit looks swank as fuck....

OOJHNQT.jpg

I missed this so you have my thanks for posting it, it looks wonderful.

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

I dug the episode a decent bit for Ollie really get into the role of mayor on a legit non easy fix issue and some development on Wild Dog.

I missed this so you have my thanks for posting it, it looks wonderful.

I swear there's a lot more eastereggs in that cage/bunker, mommy dearest only showed off a third of the items.

Okay, as someone who really liked the 1st season of Supergirl and most parts of season 2, a lot of things are starting to become glaringly obvious to me in terms of faults this year.

No.1 I don't like the Mon-El/Kara relationship. Now I'm not always in love with the CW love stories in general, and this one isn't quite Oliver/Felicity bad, but it's seemingly dragging the show down a bit, because there is just so much time spent building Mon-El, which has kinda left us without a real long term story arc, and no real side character stuff that actually is particularly interesting save for the Lena Luthor storyline. I don't mind Mon-El as a character it just feels like he's gotten waaaay too much screen time.

No.2 I liked the idea of making Alex Danvers gay, but her story with Maggie has kinda stagnated right now. 

No.3: Kara, as a character, went from deep and fleshed out in season 1, were you got to see her become a badass, to... umm. Just kinda doing Supergirl stuff now. The closest thing she has to a character arc is her lovelife, and that's not really a character arc. Outside of that, it's just her having faith in Lena, treating Mon-El like trash a good portion of the time (though, to be fair, he does the same to her), and... not much other then that.

Seriously, did this show forget Kara and Alex were trying to get there Dad back?

Tbh, I think alot of this has more to do with moving to CW than anything else. The show went from a regular primetime show that had Supergirl in it, to having to cram as much comic fan service in as possible, and forgetting the interesting things about the show. Losing Cat Grant was a bigger blow than we realized.

Having not seen season one yet I have relatively fresh eyes when it comes to how they're handling the show.  I personally like the Kara/Mon-El relationship but wish he would become more useful.  The Alex/Maggie relationship is a better story that deals with coming out and Alex allowing herself to be happy.  I like it a ton but while I wouldn't necessarily say it's out of place for a superhero show I wish they'd shift the focus back to the superhero tasks at hand.  It seems between the two relationships there was less time solving whatever mystery and more focus on personal stuff.  And with last night I'm baffled as to why it aired this week and not last week for pre-Valentine's Day.  But at least the preview seems a bit more focused so we'll see how that plays out.

9 hours ago, El Dragon said:

No.3: Kara, as a character, went from deep and fleshed out in season 1, were you got to see her become a badass, to... umm. Just kinda doing Supergirl stuff now. The closest thing she has to a character arc is her lovelife, and that's not really a character arc. Outside of that, it's just her having faith in Lena, treating Mon-El like trash a good portion of the time (though, to be fair, he does the same to her), and... not much other then that.

Seriously, did this show forget Kara and Alex were trying to get there Dad back?

Its not so much that Kara hasn't done non-Supergirl stuff. Its that the non-Supergirl stuff isn't as interesting as the first season. They have had her dealing with her career, but that was more in the first half of this season and not the best stuff because Kara as a reporter is too close to Clark. There does seem like an underlying theme that she might not quite be cut out for it with her bias, but who knows if they will actually go anywhere with it. The lack of a strong mentor in Cat Grant is also really hurting since they haven't really replaced her at all. I think things would pick up if they actually had her doing proper investigations.

They definitely haven't been focusing too much on the search for Jeremiah, but it hasn't been completely absent. The preview for next week seems to imply we will be hitting it again in a big way..

Holy fucking fuck was Flash ten kinds of fantastic!  I knew very little going in about Grodd, but everything about that was very impressive.  Unless LoT kills it tonight Flash is quite easily securing the top spot for my favorite DC show this week.