DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

On 02/02/2017 at 10:35 AM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

The Arrow crew coincidentally finding a female metahuman with the same power (sonic cry) as Laurel was kind of a groaner. 

I mean it makes sense? Since Black Siren got the powers on Earth 2, no reason someone wouldn't here.

On 02/02/2017 at 10:54 AM, Raziel403 said:

Well at least they got Golden Age Canary now.

More the modern tbh. They went back to the single Dinah Drake Canary with the New 52 but kept a lot of the Dinah Laurel Lance elements. So this is pretty sympatico with the character now, which is reassuring after her intro seemed to reference All Star Batman.

11 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I mean it makes sense? Since Black Siren got the powers on Earth 2, no reason someone wouldn't here.

I don't really have a problem with where they ended up.  My problem is that there was probably a better way to get there.  I think I'd have preferred if they spent half the season searching for a new Black Canary instead of having one drop into their lap almost as soon as they start looking.  It was all a bit too pat.  They barely start looking for a replacement Canary than they coincidentally find a woman with the Canary's sonic powers who is coincidentally a woman about the same age as Laurel and who is coincidentally fighting crime as a costumed vigilante and coincidentally has fighting skills and training.  There was probably a better, more organic way to introduce her.  At a minimum, the storyline could have been dragged out over several eps.  As it was, they came up with an idea for a new Canary and deus ex machina'd the details.

Honestly. as much as I disliked Katie Cassidy in the role, I thought there was more story potential in the Earth-2 Black Siren stuff.  Would have liked to see Oliver keep her around to try and rehabilitate her.

I just...with Gypsy, it's so weird because they changed her name, powers, and origin from the comics which...it's not the first time they've had a character be adapted in name only, but like why would you then choose to keep a name that is an actual slur? Why not just make her Earth 19's Vibe? 

The whole way they did her was messy anyway. Why is Vibing universally called Vibing when Cisco coined it? Also she falls into that trope of "Undefeated champion with achilles heel visible from space" which annoys me. If you're hyping someone as basically unbeatable, follow up on that and find a legit way to beat her that isn't "She telegraphs her attacks and leaves herself vulnerable, a fact NO ONE noticed before now!"

But mostly let's just try to drop names that are actual slurs.

3 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

I just...with Gypsy, it's so weird because they changed her name, powers, and origin from the comics which...it's not the first time they've had a character be adapted in name only, but like why would you then choose to keep a name that is an actual slur? Why not just make her Earth 19's Vibe?

Because that would sensible and not win them points for fitting in another character from comics, especially one with ties to another character on the show.

Wait... are you implying some people don't love Justice League Detroit?  'Cause, if so, those are fighting words.

8 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

The whole way they did her was messy anyway. Why is Vibing universally called Vibing when Cisco coined it?

For the same reason space seems to be filled with alien species who basically look like earthlings with face paint.  Lots of 2-armed, 10-fingered, oxygen-breathing bipeds flying around in space, not as many races that look like hortas, gaseous creatures, aliens with 17 toes but no head, etc.

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

For the same reason space seems to be filled with alien species who basically look like earthlings with face paint.  Lots of 2-armed, 10-fingered, oxygen-breathing bipeds flying around in space, not as many races that look like hortas, gaseous creatures, aliens with 17 toes but no head, etc.

I'd be able to accept that easier if they hadn't felt the need to cite a particle accelerator accident on each earth as the birth of superhumans because they needed to ground it in realism-ish.

Next week's going to be beyond awesome, I can't wait to see it.

Haven't seen this week's Supergirl yet, but while Flash was awesome LoT is far and away my favorite of the DC shows.  The story, the humor, the superhero elements, all of it I enjoy so much.  If they could capture what works with this show and put it into a big-budget DC movie it'd be wonderful.

14 hours ago, El Dragon said:

LoT is everything a comic TV show is supposed to be.

I truly love all the DCW shows. They're a fun highlight in a shitty and crazy time. But Legends this season is by far the best of them. It's been fucking perfect. Shit, I used to have the early Sixties issue of Rip Hunter: Time Master where George Washington and the Revolution was the plot. It made me so happy to see this week's show.

and next week is called "Camelot 3000"? For fucks sake, is Ambush Bug turning up soon to totally make me geek out beyond comprehension?

and Flash used Clive Yorkin? Are you kidding me?

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Re: next week's Supergirl:

Hide contents

MR. MXYZPTLK MOTHERFUCKERS!

Yeah between this, gorilla city and LoT being just fucking awesome, the DC shows are really hitting it out of the park for me right now. Meanwhile I have like 5 episodes of Agents of Shield backlogged on my DVR that I just can't summon the motivation to watch