DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I lucked out that the one of the rare times my wife's seen The Flash with me it was this one.  I would give her the relevant backstory and from there she enjoyed it as much as I did.  It's a great episode to watch with somebody who doesn't really watch the Berlanti shows.  She enjoys the musical part, I enjoy that and the geekiness of it all.  It's a win-win.

Just recently finished catching up on the last two seasons of Flash (and 20 pages of this thread), and I'm surprised there's not more speculation about Savitar.  

I figured it was obvious he keeps telling Barry "I am the future Flash" and not "I am the future, Flash."  Between that and the Legends telling them not to trust Barry, I've assumed Savitar is evil future Barry, created by Barry fixing Flashpoint.  That's the big big thing in the future he fucked up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

::RIMSHOT::

She'll be playing Black Siren. 

Supposedly. There was quite literally no redeeming features coming from Black Siren the two times she has shown up so unless she is one of the main villains I have trouble seeing a redemption story planned out for her. Meanwhile over in Legends we are dealing with a reality changing spear.

More and more I'm seeing that Mon-El is pretty damn useless.  He has some kind of power yet never uses it, and instead we get a dope who Supergirl always has to save.  I'd feel a bit better about it if there was something likable about the guy, but I'd have felt better about him just going back to Daxom and disappearing.  And there was way too much about relationships going on with all the couples.  I'm hoping when they come back they can put that on the back burner and focus on cool sci-fi shit.

Flash was awesome just for Abra Kadabra.  He's so vile but his methods are a sight to behold.  I know he was taken away to be executed, but he had me hoping he'd escape that and come back for more.  And Legends had that cool alternate reality going on.  I loved how he had Ray as a janitor and of course Darhk would have two hot assassins doing his bidding.  Unless next week ends up being bonkers and has a better cliffhanger I would have made this the season finale.  But still a great episode, and if it wasn't for Abra Kadabra would have been my favorite show this week.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Edited to show correct name for Abra Kadabra

I'm not gonna spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen Legends yet...

but when I saw THAT ... I started geeking out so hard while really high, I wasn't fucking saying words, just sounds . "Ahhhh! Ohhh ! Ahhh!" while giggling with childlike glee cause Challenge of the Super Friends rules.

edit: still high

6 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I'm not gonna spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen Legends yet...

but when I saw THAT ... I started geeking out so hard while really high, I wasn't fucking saying words, just sounds . "Ahhhh! Ohhh ! Ahhh!" while giggling with childlike glee cause Challenge of the Super Friends rules.

edit: still high

ipvzrh6voeqny.gif

Love the finale too, and I like that the door is open for another team member next season, filling in for either Vixen or Rip(who I'm 99% sure will be back though). I've seen some suggestion that Quintin Lance be added, and I don't hate the idea.  Not sure I'm looking forward to another "we have to find Rip" story next season, though.  Every character besides Stein & Jax got a nice little moment in the episode.

That was a tremendous season finale, damn I love LoT so much.  It was a satisfying a conclusion as one could get, only for it to open a whole new host of challenges.  Very well-done stuff all-around.

I'm sure they try and find a way to get Rip back, as of course after he leaves this happens.  He could have at least warned Sara about this on the way out.  And from the little I know about Sara and her dead sister (sorry, never saw Arrow) the spear scene was a great character-building moment where she shows that special something even she didn't know she had.  Same goes for the two Nates scene where Nate proper realized what he had to do.  Moving on I can't wait to see how they fix the time storm that occurred.

Finally caught up on Legends.  Generally enjoyed the stretch run, but wasn't overwhelmed by it.  Par for the course.  I've liked this season, but nowhere near as much as a lot of people here.  Think I liked the episodes leading up to the finale better than the finale.  Finale had too many instances of two sets of characters on screen at the same time, and you had to remember what color top Sarah had on to know if that was future-Sara or past-Sarah. Writers hit one of my pet peeves way too often in that ep too.  Not a big fan of telling imaginary/alt. reality/time travel stories where the writers kill a bunch of characters simply because they can, since, at episode's end, all will be set right again and all the "real" characters will have survived.  Really coincidental that Malcolm and company were willing to kill the future Legends without a thought, but always find some reason to run away when the present-day/past group shows up.  Ugh.  Cheap writers trick.

Still too many elements don't work for me with this show, but they improved quite a bit from season 1, so maybe season 3 will be great.  I hope they write a good villain next season.  Legion of Doom ended up being less interesting to me than I expected since Dark and Merlyn basically did very little and were written in only to get paychecks for the actors.  They really didn't have much for those two to do this year (though Dark at least had the Sarah/Laurel revenge arc to play off).  Snart had a nice storyline but showed up too late in the season.  Thane didn't seem to need their help much.

I did really dig the conclusion of Mick's character arc.  i hated the heel turn even though I figured he would redeem himself by season's end.  I didn't really think they could write their way out of that in a way I liked, but I was wrong.  Dominic Purcell should be demanding a raise.

Kinda wish they would write out Firestorm next season.  Like the character work and Victor Garber is probably the most talented actor in the cast (by far), but it's annoying how many hoops they jump through to keep the characters from forming Firestorm.  I think it's half Firestorm obstensibly being too powerful so he'd function as a deus ex machina if they use him much, coupled with an inability to afford the special effect weekly.  But, if you can't do the character properly on a tv budget, don't do the character on a tv budget.  Some of the reasons they found to separate Stein and Jax or leave them behind on the ship were mind-numbingly dumb (considering how useful Firestorm on the moon mission, leaving Martin and Jax behind on Earth was ridiculous).

I'm thinking Arthur Darvill doesn't return as Rip.  Rip giving up his command so quickly as well as his ship and supercomputer was odd unless they think Darvill may not return.  Especially since his exit is kinda similar to the way they wrote him out in the season opener.

• Like 1

I love LoT a ton and most weeks it was my favorite of the DC shows.  But your points are very valid.  The Firestorm one is the most curious of them all as they have this awesome power but hardly used it.  I can't help but wonder if it wasn't a Berlanti show if that would have made a difference.  There's four DC shows alone under their umbrella and I wonder if maybe their overall budget is stretched thin.

Boy, they're sure throwing fuel on one particular Savitar fan-theory.

Apparently just after Iris's death, Wally goes hunting and gets his spine shattered, as well as witnessing something that leaves him catatonic for seven years.

I'm betting that's how he "made himself."

I guess the only way a despondent former hero can look is to have emo hair.  I was waiting for 2024 Barry to go wild at a club for no good read (Spiderman 3, anybody?)  I haven't seen the last 15 minutes yet, but I'll get to that sometime today.  But I do love that while everybody else is having a bad time Wells was having the best time ever.   I was kind of rooting for the dude and felt bad when he got literally pulled away.  Funny stuff.

17 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Boy, they're sure throwing fuel on one particular Savitar fan-theory.

Reveal hidden contents

Apparently just after Iris's death, Wally goes hunting and gets his spine shattered, as well as witnessing something that leaves him catatonic for seven years.

I'm betting that's how he "made himself."

Spoiler

Makes sense.  It seems likely Savitar will be a speedster they know, so he's the likeliest candidate.  I really hope Savitar doesn't turn out to be an evil version of Barry, or, worse, Jay Garrick.

I kinda feel like Wally isn't long for the show no matter what happens.  His character arcs have usually been about him reacting to changes.  I felt like turning him into Kid Flash was probably one step closer to the door for him.  They aren't likely to keep two speedsters around and "Kid Flash" doesn't really add much to the storytelling.  Even Wally's roles in relation to Joe and Iris basically duplicate Barry's (surrogate son to Joe, foster brother/boyfriend of Iris).

Honestly, being revealed as Savitar might be the best for him.  If they keep Wally on the canvas, they have an interesting story hook for him (afraid of becoming Savitar even after Barry changes the future, maybe wanting to get rid of his powers).  I was kinda expecting one of Barry's foes to kill him next season (or S5, at the latest).

Is Wally popular with the fans?  I kinda feel like they've done the least to make him interesting.  I'm not a big fan of the "Science Twins" but they've put a fair bit of effort into making them interesting beyond Barry and giving them character arcs.