DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

Holy crap I loved Crisis.  The part that really stuck with me is (spoilers just in case)

The passing of the Torch from '90 Flash to current Flash.  The interactions leading up to it and especially when '90 sacrificed himself was such a wonderful sendoff for him.  I didn't watch the '90 Flash but the footage from there cemented just how truly special this all was along with his lines at the end.  And watching the Aftermath show they really hammered home just how much this meant to both guys.  I know we still have the last part next month but I feel this is the scene I'll remember most.

Oh, and I hope y'all caught the Aftermath show as Kevin Conroy was on there.  The guy could read the phone book and I'd still be entertained.  And it was pretty amusing hearing him read lines Twitter uses suggested as Batman.  For somebody like me who isn't deep into the comics like you folks are the show did a good job filling in the blanks.  And Kevin Smith made for a darn good host to boot.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

It's being rebroadcast after each episode drops on DCU.  Looks like a cost sharing measure?  Arrowverse stuff is CW's bread and butter so they get a new comic series at a fraction of the cost, and DCU gets help paying for it.

• Like 1

Holy shit, I've only said this maybe ONCE for anything involving the Arrowverse, but that episode felt special. Even if we know they are probably going to Endgame the whole thing and bring everyone back, they really knocked the gravity of the situation out of the park.

LOVED how Black Lighting and 90's Flash were used, and that whole scene was just incredible. Even if we kinda saw them using that as an out to save Earth-1 Barry coming a mile away, they still made it feel important.  The Lucifer cameo got a pop from me too, and I like how it doesn't feel like any character is "just there", and has something to contribute.

I liked the route they went with Oliver, and I think it makes perfect sense, as it allows them to use him at key moments later on. It's amazing to me how much better these small budget TV shows can present these characters than their big budget counterparts. It's nice to see someone actually understand Superman and how to write for him.

Also, Rip was kinda right.

fc7b748de7a94d3377e6da7f6abf82b2.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

It's a DC Universe joint, so no.  They're also having a new JSA in the series.

They referred to it as CW’s Stargirl during the Aftermath show,(I realize its really a DCU show) and at this point I don’t think being on another network will keep them from at least making a reference to another show.

17 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

how the fuck is Crisis a thing that somebody greenlit (I mean that as a compliment to the show)

I am not even sure why DC even bothers with big budget movies.  They should just put everything in long form on CW or Netflix.  Television is what they're best at and I have yet to watch any DCU shows or episodic programming not named Gotham that wasn't fucking amazing.

The writing for Watchmen and everything on CW is nothing short of phenomenal.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Holy shit, I've only said this maybe ONCE for anything involving the Arrowverse, but that episode felt special. Even if we know they are probably going to Endgame the whole thing and bring everyone back, they really knocked the gravity of the situation out of the park.

LOVED how Black Lighting and 90's Flash were used, and that whole scene was just incredible. Even if we kinda saw them using that as an out to save Earth-1 Barry coming a mile away, they still made it feel important.  The Lucifer cameo got a pop from me too, and I like how it doesn't feel like any character is "just there", and has something to contribute.

I liked the route they went with Oliver, and I think it makes perfect sense, as it allows them to use him at key moments later on. It's amazing to me how much better these small budget TV shows can present these characters than their big budget counterparts. It's nice to see someone actually understand Superman and how to write for him.

Also, Rip was kinda right.

fc7b748de7a94d3377e6da7f6abf82b2.jpg

There was a moment last night where I thought the big Vanishing Point surprise was going to be Rip. 

• Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 4:24 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

I watch all the Arrowverse shows except for Arrow itself.  Despite that I get enough of an idea as to what's going on with that show when they do these crossovers so it's not one that loses me.  That said I do think they do a great job giving enough for those non-regular viewers plus spicing it up with some awesome cameos.  On that note I'm tagging @The Natural here as I feel he really needs to see this somehow.

On 12/10/2019 at 7:37 PM, Bustronaut said:

Oh also for @The Natural, they called Conroy the Bat of the Future!

Thank you both for the tags. I watched Kevin Conroy's scenes on YouTube. It was special seeing Kevin Conroy play Bruce Wayne/Batman in live action for the first time, he and Batman: The Animated Series is Batman to me. I have to admit it took some getting used to this version of Bruce Wayne/Batman who killed and killed again to the portrayal Conroy has played all these years. A subversion. 

What I am enjoying is watching the cameos and Brandon Routh is nailing Kingdom Come Superman, I'm happy for him getting to play Superman again after the divisive Superman Returns. Routh is more Superman here as Kingdom Come Supes, the performance and a much better costume helps. Liked the first Smallville scene between Tom Welling's Supes and Lex Luthor. Cryer is a really good Luthor.

I'd like to see the whole thing in it's entirety at some point.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

Cryer might be my favorite live action Lex by a mile, tbh.  He's not Clancy Brown, but it's tough to gauge like action versions vs animated versions.

He's a good Legend of the Superfriends style Lex. I'm not sure that's an entirely relevant version of the character in today's 1% environment. He's a little too Snidely Whiplash for my tastes. 

He actually comes off a little like what I'd expect a Batman 66 version of Lex would be like, if that makes sense. 

I like Cryer as Lex quite a bit though I kind of agree with Matt. I like it when Lex has a least a few shades of grey in character to keep him from being too comically evil. Clancy Brown though is pretty much like Conroy as Batman where no one will ever likely quite match up for me. Same with Hamill as Joker though live vs. animation is never quite fair.

• Like 1

There was probably a time in Clancy Brown's life where he'd have made a heck of a live-action Luthor too. I'll co-sign the love for him. Whenever I read a comic Luthor is in, it's Clancy's voice I hear. 

While we're praising iconic DCAU voice work, Michael Ironside crushes it as Darkseid, CCH Pounder crushes it as Amanda Waller, Ron Pearlman is a great Clayface, we could go on and on. Conroy and Hamill get all the praise, but there was an endless wealth of voice talent on those shows. 

That Superman animated series is underrated in general. People love Batman TAS, Batman Beyond, and the Justice League shows, but I very rarely see that level of praise for Superman TAS. Yet I think a lot of the best stuff in the DCAU is in that series. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2