DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

It's also interesting how this show continues to bump heads with the graphic novel.   First the poetic license and extrapolation taken with the origin of Hooded Justice and now the idea that Dr. Manhattan is in love with Angela Abar…. which honestly seems a bit icky since she wasn't even born when Manhattan and Laurie Blake / Juspeczyk / Silk Specter II were shacked up together for nearly twenty years.

I think it may have been pointed out already, but it's very on-brand for Manhattan to decide it's time for a vajayjay upgrade and trade in for a newer model. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Theoretically, now that he's recovered his memory and power, it's possible that he merely allowed himself to be captured by 7K because that action will be the catalyst to resolving future events.... that he'll already be aware of.... to his favor..

I just keep going back to the discussion about transferring his powers. I still think that something is up with their son given that he is emotionless about things that should affect the normal human being and he was building the same structure as Manhattan on Mars. 

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I just keep going back to the discussion about transferring his powers. I still think that something is up with their son given that he is emotionless about things that should affect the normal human being and he was building the same structure as Manhattan on Mars. 

Topher's not their biological child though or at least that hasn't been revealed yet. 

It could be a red herring, but it's possible that Topher may have connection to Manhattan but his knowledge of Topher should be a complete blank since the kid was born and raised before Manhattan's implant.  Manhattan is of course aware of everything now that the implant has been removed, so we'll see what happens provided that Manhattan is forthcoming with that information.

Speaking of that, I did not give enough love to Oxymadias pulling a page out of Batman's book and coming up with a way to neutralize Manhattan that the good Doctor was completely unaware of and Ozymandias had a working prototype of the implant in storage for over thirty years.

Which leads us to our third limitation on Manhattan's power ie. he cannot sense things outside of the spectrum of normal relativity and leave it to Oxymandias to discover the still theoretical tachyonic particle and utilize it to his advantage.

And yeah.  Now that we know that the clones are all Manhattan's creations, there is an obvious link between him and Lady Trieu that extends past their mutual acquaintance, Ozymandias

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That line gave me chills, actually.  "Oh dear Jon.."  I love that Dr. Manhattan a God still hasn't thought of everything.  Jeremy Irons is something.  Regina King was awesome in this episode too.  I can't praise them enough. 

The back and forth between Angela praising Manhattan's having a vivid imagination and Ozymandias castigating Manhattan for a lack of imagination was pretty awesome.

I also like the way that Damon showed how Manhattan isn't so much omnipresent as he is "unstuck in time" similar to Billy Pilgrim, the protagonist in Kurt Vonnegut's sci-fi masterpiece, Slaghterhouse-Five. 

It is conceivable that a being that is comprised of a matrix made of energy and matter would perceive time differently since he would naturally be able to move at the speed of light.  That is supported by the Theory of Relativity albeit in the most comic book way.

Edited by J.T.

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The back and forth between Angela praising Manhattan's having a vivid imagination and Ozymandias castigating Manhattan for a lack of imagination was pretty awesome.

I also like the way that Damon showed how Manhattan isn't so much omnipresent as he is "unstuck in time" similar to Billy Pilgrim, the protagonist in Kurt Vonnegut's sci-fi masterpiece, Slaghterhouse-Five.

An idea Damon knows well. #desmond 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

An idea Damon knows well. #desmond 

Manhattan's super-temporal condition as shown in the series also seems to borrow a bit from aliens from Ted Chiang's short story, Story of Your Life.

Some of you may be more familiar with the screen adaptation, Arrival, starting Amy Adams.

• Like 1

Crisis part 2 was quite nice for the Superman parts, especially Welling's appearance. It was good getting to see Conroy play Bruce live though just a bit disappointing in the kind of Bruce it was. Not really happy we are resorting to Lazarus Pit though it makes sense with Barry and Mia not handling the loss well.

Black Lightning was stealth sixth part of Crisis like I expected. It doesn't connect directly to actual event going on outside the death of worlds and Jeff's disappearance at the end, but it was still nice to see. I liked that they used it to basically have Jennifer examine where her life and loyalties lie with the current situation in Freeland. Its neat getting confirmation of the characters on Earth 1 and 2. 

• Like 1

I'm fascinated by the Crisis stuff, but I've never watched a second of Arrowverse. Is there essential stuff? I remember reading up on trying to start Arrow earlier this year, and some of those seasons sound outright bad or unnecessary, but I've heard hit and miss stuff about each of the seasons.

Maybe it just becomes a background noise show as I'm doing other projects.

Count me among those that was disappointed that we got darkest timeline Bruce, BUT it was so amazing seeing Conroy get to play the role briefly. The Superman stuff was all great, and I like that Jonah Hex even got a brief role.

The Lazarus Pit deal, at least initially, feels kinda lazy, but hopefully they use it to teach Mia(and even Barry) that some things just can't be changed. Had a few laugh out loud moments with Kara lowkey checking out Routh's Superman, before HER Superman is like "that's your cousin". Also Mick reading his novel to Superboy was hilarious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'm fascinated by the Crisis stuff, but I've never watched a second of Arrowverse. Is there essential stuff? I remember reading up on trying to start Arrow earlier this year, and some of those seasons sound outright bad or unnecessary, but I've heard hit and miss stuff about each of the seasons.

Maybe it just becomes a background noise show as I'm doing other projects.

Arrow has extreme peaks and valleys, but in a weird way, going along for the full ride will give you a greater appreciation for what they are going for here. You can have fun with Crisis without being a regular viewer, but, like all the crossovers, a lot of the really big beats they are going for will be lost for you tbh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

Arrow has extreme peaks and valleys, but in a weird way, going along for the full ride will give you a greater appreciation for what they are going for here. You can have fun with Crisis without being a regular viewer, but, like all the crossovers, a lot of the really big beats they are going for will be lost for you tbh.

I watch all the Arrowverse shows except for Arrow itself.  Despite that I get enough of an idea as to what's going on with that show when they do these crossovers so it's not one that loses me.  That said I do think they do a great job giving enough for those non-regular viewers plus spicing it up with some awesome cameos.  On that note I'm tagging @The Natural here as I feel he really needs to see this somehow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Conroy did not do his normal Batman voice for most of that. You'd get hints of it but just that. He was a changed, broken man. He was no longer Batman.

I never really watched Batman Beyond, so I wasn’t sure if he was doing his Old Man Batman voice or not.