DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

33 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Who said that?

The internet is a vast tapestry of opinion. I'm sure plenty of people offer up most takes, that included. Not speaking for what Casey observed, but I imagine the type of person who would put forth an opinion like that is one of those people who look at the graphic novel as some sort of sacred text that most people are unworthy of working with. I know a few people like that myself. And certainly the Snyder flick didn't warm them to the idea of people working with that source material, regardless of who was involved. Some people are weirdly protective of their capeshit.

My take: If these guys are good enough for Ken Burns and David Lynch and David Fincher and so on, they're more than qualified for Watchmen. 

Another way of saying that "I like the book as is. I dont particularly want to see adapted, whether it's by [someone with a good reputation] or [someone with a bad reputation.]."

I dont know if that means they consider it a sacred text or just that they dont think the book would work in a live action setting. 

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Another way of saying that "I like the book as is. I dont particularly want to see adapted, whether it's by [someone with a good reputation] or [someone with a bad reputation.]."

I dont know if that means they consider it a sacred text or just that they dont think the book would work in a live action setting. 

Okay, I said it in the most inflammatory way possible. But I do often find it entitled when people very strongly take that stance, as if their enjoyment of the source material might somehow be lessened if someone were to make a poor adaptation. Same as when people say something akin to their "childhood is being murdered" or whatever when some new sequel to this or that comes out. It just strikes me as people getting really possessive with what they consume, when that stuff is still there if they want it and this new thing could turn other people on to something they weren't previously familiar with. I don't get it. 

We've all seen countless terrible adaptations of books we enjoy. At a certain point, a person should come to just let it wash over them rather than letting it spawn perpetual nerd rage. And, to be clear, I'm not talking about somebody simply suggesting that something might not work in live action or people just softly offering up their opinion. I'm talking about the real sticks in the mud who will kvetch about something for decades.

That said, maybe I'm the real stick in the mud and I'm projecting...

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I agree there are more tha plenty of those people out there. I also think that people (not you) just presume someone is in that camp if they dont want to see it. 

For example, anyone who either didnt want to see or panned the Ghostbusters reboot was branded a misogynist or baby man etc, often without their POV being heard. 

Luckily, we are at the point where being a comic fan means you are not expected to blindly support a film or tv show because its source material and you feel the need to help its box office or ratings. In fact, I'd argue comics fans should be more discriminating about what they support. ?

Edited by odessasteps

28 minutes ago, EVA said:

Just saw a gif on Twitter and it reminded me of one of the great unanswered questions remaining on WATCHMEN:  What was the deal with LUBE GUY?

When I first saw him I thought it was Petey. He was following Angela and seemed to maybe have the same type of build. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

When I first saw him I thought it was Petey. He was following Angela and seemed to maybe have the same type of build. 

My wife thinks it's Petey as well. I'm not so sure, but I feel confident we'll learn in the next two episodes.

And, BTW, I re-watched that last episode, and now I can't get it out of my head that Veidt is inside the statue.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

My wife thinks it's Petey as well. I'm not so sure, but I feel confident we'll learn in the next two episodes.

And, BTW, I re-watched that last episode, and now I can't get it out of my head that Veidt is inside the statue.

That'd be cool.  I need to I think sit down and do a WATCHMEN binge before the finale if I have time. It's going to be crazy to revisit knowing what we know now.