DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Reveal hidden contents

After the Looking Glass episode, I will admit to being intrigued by how Ozymandias would justify his actions if he was ever asked that question directly.

I finally got that scenario in place in the form of Veidt's trial and what does he do?  He farts.

I will admit to being a little disappointed but then again, I have no idea why Veidt would pick that time to show some humility and give an account of himself.  Flatulence was a very Ozymandias thing to do.

I do admire the Game Warden for going insult for insult and convening a jury made up of cloned pigs to deliver the guilty verdict.

To make things even richer, this was the episode description provided through my cable service:

Under Lady Trieu's care, Angela undergoes an unconventional treatment while Agent Blake chases down a lead. Elsewhere, The Smartest Man in The World delivers a stunning defense of his past actions.

So I was going in expecting a banger of a speech. Made what we got all the more amusing. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Haha 2

Yeah, it's been explained by Lindelof that a year passes every episode we see Veidt, hence the extra candles on his cake, having a buffalo hide in the episode after the Game Warden stops him, etc. His timeline is catching up with the main timeline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It looks like Abdul - Mateen is listed as playing Calvin Abar / Jonathan Osterman.  

It doesn't look like he's credited directly as Dr. Manhattan.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a black man is playing Jon Osterman, when they showed Osterman as a child at the beginning of this episode in that documentary VHS tape and he was white.

11 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a black man is playing Jon Osterman, when they showed Osterman as a child at the beginning of this episode in that documentary VHS tape and he was white.

I don't think that he'll be the human version of Osterman.  I think he's just going to be blue Osterman.

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Considering this show gave us the reveal that Hooded Justice was a black man pretending to be white, a black man playing Blue Jon isn't that odd, really.

I think it's simpler than that.  Abdul-Mateen is a big dude so that takes care of Manhattan's rea-life physicality to cut a corner on the production budget. 

You can always CG whatever face you want on top of his in post editing.

Edited by J.T.

For about one episode I kind of bought into the idea that the 7K wasn't a white supremacist organization, but this episode kind of just drilled that idea back into my head. I kind of wish they would have retconned Jon into being a black man in his human form (since it'd serve to enrage people in real life that care about such issues) and then it'd give another layer to the 7K wanting their own (white) savior.

Am I the only one who wasn't connecting the dots for Cal up until the moment it happened? When she went back to the house, my mind immediately went to her creepy son who was building the same castle that Manhattan was on Mars.

• Like 1

Even then, my mind still went to the kid, because they've yet to explain why both of them were building the same structure. Unless it's just a coincidence, but I refuse to believe such things exist in this universe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Even then, my mind still went to the kid, because they've yet to explain why both of them were building the same structure. Unless it's just a coincidence, but I refuse to believe such things exist in this universe.

Yeah, when Trieu made the reveal that Manhattan was masquerading as a human, I figured it either had to be Topher or Carl.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Holy shit, that actually tracks...

What triggered that theory, for me, was the conversation Trieu and Angela had over lunch. When asked if her father was going to be with her to see her life's work being brought to completion, her reply was "he will be soon". That's pretty ominous. Why have a statue of Veidt? Why buy his company? Also, Trieu Industries didn't just buy Veidt's company... they oversee his personal estate as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I normally wouldn't laugh at such a fake sounding fart sound effect, it's such a cheap gag, but it was really unexpected here and it wound up making me crack up.

As far as outlandish sound effects played for laughs go, this isn't even Lindelof's best. For my taste, it's definitely the penis shelf from The Leftovers. I'll allow Damon to explain in his own words what he and his staff decided Justin Theroux's junk sounds like:

Q: What instructions did you give the Foley guy about what you wanted it to sound like?

A: The joke that I put on Instagram was that we dropped a live ferret onto a homemade quilt, but I think Patrick Somerville actually said that the audio file is called “gym bag drop.” I think that the Foley guy actually filled up like a gym bag with hams? And dropped it from varying heights. My note in the mix was just, “It needs to have more heft.” We did go too far there. One mix sounded like, “Okay, that’s going to break the shelf.”

*chef kiss* Endlessly amusing. Considering the subject matter of these shows, his penchant for juvenile humour is admirable. 

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

For about one episode I kind of bought into the idea that the 7K wasn't a white supremacist organization, but this episode kind of just drilled that idea back into my head. I kind of wish they would have retconned Jon into being a black man in his human form (since it'd serve to enrage people in real life that care about such issues) and then it'd give another layer to the 7K wanting their own (white) savior.

I'd like to think those people tapped out on this show weeks ago. But plenty of people hate-watch Raw every single week, so I know that's not true. 

Also, on the topic of Cal... Peteypedia has a medical report up from shortly after his accident (occurred in 2009). He used to work for Pyramid Global Construction (owned by Veidt). In the Misc. section of the notes, it says post-accident, Cal was particularly enamored with the physician's Dr. Manhattan bobble-head.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

@Raziel reminded me of this just now... anyone else get the impression that Lady Trieu's father is Veidt?

Veidt's message written with bodies was "Save Me, D"

I'm taking D to mean dad.

Also Trieu is Vietnamese for "Omen".  The offspring of the devil, aka Veidt.

Edited by Bustronaut
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Also, I think the meteor from earlier in the series was Veidt returning from Neptune's moon, and the Millennium clock is an Earth-based version of the clone aging machine.

Trieu's plan is for a second coming of Veidt, heralding him as a savior.

1 hour ago, Bustronaut said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Also, I think the meteor from earlier in the series was Veidt returning from Neptune's moon, and the Millennium clock is an Earth-based version of the clone aging machine.

Trieu's plan is for a second coming of Veidt, heralding him as a savior.

I don't think this works as far as the timeline goes. The scene with Trieu and the Clarks happened some years ago and the other one would have still been gone at that time.