DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

From what I've found as somebody who's only seen a couple of episodes from the entire Arrowverse but will be watching this:

Hide contents

Batwoman -- "Crisis on Infinite Earths: Part Two" 

Did you see the still of Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne/Batman released this week?

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

So he is going to be her missing Cousin Bruce? That seems...unlikely? I'd assume he was from an entirely different earth.

Also, has it been confirmed if the Titans or Doom Patrol are going to make an appearance? 

Edited by Execproducer

3 hours ago, Execproducer said:
  Hide contents

So he is going to be her missing Cousin Bruce? That seems...unlikely? I'd assume he was from an entirely different earth.

Spoiler

When this was reported on months ago he was supposedly an older Bruce Wayne from the future. Considering that we know a certain Atom is also going to be the Kingdom Come type of Superman I wouldn't be shocked it it turns out Conroy's Batman is from the same Earth.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Execproducer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Also, has it been confirmed if the Titans or Doom Patrol are going to make an appearance? 

There has been a rumor that the Titans filmed a cameo, but I wouldn't expect much more than that from them.

I used to be of the opinion that the squid plan was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen in a graphic novel, but the Little Fear of Lightning episode changed all of that.

Damon Lindelof is fucking brilliant.  He brought the squid attack HOME~!  It wasn't some ephemeral master plan hatched by some megalomaniacal super genius.

You got to see the victims up close with shock and horror etched into their faces as well as the physical destruction of NYC and you also experienced the traumatic aftermath through Looking Glass's heartbreaking personal story.  

They even took a page out of live history and referred to the event by date alone.  11-fucking-2.

As they say, the death of one is a tragedy and the death of millions is a statistic, so Damon took the seemingly absurd and made it into something more frightening than it ever could be and he did it by putting a face with one of the countless victims of Adrian Veidt's genocidal madness. 

We never got the name of that girl member of the Knot Top gang, but we heard her voice and saw her when she was alive and despite her actions, she did not deserve to die that way, 

I don't think I'll ever look at my copy of Watchmen the same way again.  Thank you, Damon, for breathing new life into an old story.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

This Extraordinary Being may be the first stumble in the series for me.  I thought the story itself was fascinating even though it played loose and free with the graphic novel events.

My main problem with the episode is that:

Spoiler

HYPNOTISM DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY~!  No one in this alternate reality has superpowers other than Dr. Manhattan and maybe Ozymandias so hypnotism should work the same way it does in our reality.

You can use hypnotism to embed suggestions and cause people to exhibit behavior that they may not exhibit on their own, but you cannot hypnotically force someone to do something against their will like commit suicide. 

That is in the fantasy realm of direct control of every facet of the nervous and muscular systems from the bran giving the command to the nerves carrying the order to the muscles which in turn execute the order.

Hypnosis <> Magic

Edited by J.T.

I thought the episode was amazing.  I need to rewatch, because it wasn't until I was about halfway through that I realized that a lot of the "memory" scenes were one-shots.  There was some seriously great shooting/editing going on this episode.  

On @J.T.'s thoughts:

Spoiler

In the original use of the strobe, it only made people harm others around them.  I'm going to guess that the flashlight version was built by Trieu.  Seeing as how she's been presented as a super-genius, I can buy that she may have been able to "upgrade" its potency.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Log said:

I need to rewatch, because it wasn't until I was about halfway through that I realized that a lot of the "memory" scenes were one-shots. 

That working in concert with some of the music choices gave me serious Birdman vibes. 

Re JT's comments

Spoiler

I've seen so many movies/shows be lazy hypnotism that "it doesn't work that way" isn't one of my pet peeves anymore. But to each their own. 

• Like 1

The directing in this latest episode was nothing short of amazing.  The point of view shots between

the attempted lynching

was simply terrifying and the shot of

Will moving through the warehouse and gunning all the Klansman/policeman down

was equally incredible...  

I don't know if I want to touch on this or not but I think we are all adult enough..  @J.T.  there has been a lot of talk online,  I think most of it is toxic but it's making the rounds that one particular scene only "served to emasculate the black male protagonist" and basically it was thrown in there for that purpose and first of all I don't care what anyone's sexual preferences are period..  the reason I bring it up is because there are some very otherwise intelligent people trying to make that case saying basically that Hollywood is doing this purposely..  

I felt it all played into the story in a meaningful way, I don't think it was shoehorned in for ulterior motives.  I think it's sad that these are still conversations in 2019.  In the graphic novel,  it is indeed hinted at in regards to

Hooded Justice

in a not so subtle way and here I believe it did serve a purpose because it's directly tied to how we get to Tulsa. 

What did you think?  I didn't have any thoughts on it until I went online and then saw people freaking out. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know if I want to touch on this or not but I think we are all adult enough..  @J.T.  there has been a lot of talk online,  I think most of it is toxic but it's making the rounds that one particular scene only "served to emasculate the black male protagonist" and basically it was thrown in there for that purpose and first of all I don't care what anyone's sexual preferences are period..  the reason I bring it up is because there are some very otherwise intelligent people trying to make that case saying basically that Hollywood is doing this purposely..   

TBH that was one of the few high points of the episode. It didn't really bother me.

We all know that Alan crafted Watchmen to be a response to the elements of comics that he felt were racist and put forth the idea that only white people could be that powerful, so he populated his world with Caucasian superheroes that were sexual deviants, obese men, homosexuals, and poverty stricken Right wing reactionaries.  

The sole "heroes" with truly Aryan features turned out to be a genocidal genius that murdered three million people "for the greater good" and a closeted gay man and that definitely seemed deliberate.

The only being with actual super powers in that reality was blue, not white.

I think Alan was probably very happy with the retcon idea that one of the original Minutemen was a black man on the down low (the ultimate stigma) and I also believe that people that have issues with Hooded Justice's race and sexual orientation really don't get what Watchmen was all about.

My issue with the episode stems from my pet peeves about hypnotism.  You do know how much I despise bad science.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I was kinda surprised at how dark Flash was this week, and how well Gustin actually pulled alot of that off.  The Bloodwork character hit his high note right before they are done using him lol.

Something I've noticed with Arrow this season, is how  genuine a lot of it feels. Then it hit me, of course it does, because these actors are saying goodbye to each other at the same time the characters are.  That last scene with Laurel and Quentin was easily the best acting Katie Cassidy has ever done.  Only one more proper episode of Arrow ?

• Like 4

Give WATCHMEN all the Emmy's....        Also,  that Trieu technology logo looks like an elephant.  Must be because of their memory capacity, right.  This show is hitting on all cylinders. 

I almost fell out of my chair with the "It's difficult being a white man in America"  line, the smugness to it..   top notch trolling of a demographic that is down voting this show on IMDB and RT.    Racists are mad as fuck.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Spoilers?

Reveal hidden contents

so is Yahya playing Dr. Manhattan, or is his role in Watchmen just limited to the Cal character?

Even though it never showed his face, it seemed to be his voice coming from the blue guy in the preview for the next episode.

Edited by EVA