DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

On 11/6/2019 at 6:25 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Jeremy Irons is fucking all in on this though I had to mention that... it's amazing lol

So is Jean Smart.  She was force of nature in She Was Killed By Space Junk.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 4:13 AM, Brian Fowler said:

The idea of the Kaiser trying to recruit black American soldiers to turn and fight for Germany is so plausible I'm wondering if it happened in real life (and only a couple decades before Germany would begin to execute people simply for being black themselves)

Actually it was the opposite.  Afro-Germans were still subject to the Nuremburg Laws which deemed them to be inferior.  Hitler also wrote in Mein Kampf that interracial breeding was a Jewish plan to degrade Aryan cultural and political superiority so that the Jews could take over.

However, there is evidence to show that the Nazi's promised Afro-Germans repatriation to captured territory in North Africa if the Axis had won the war and Afro-Germans also served in the Wehrmacht.

Once the shit hit the fan and the Germans were in full retreat, the Germans used moral panic tactics to keep German morale high.  I think they called it the Black Shame or the Black Horror or some such bullshit where they warned that Africans, Afro-French, and African-Americans would come in hordes to defile German women if the Wehrmacht didn't hold the line.

Benefits of going to an HBCU and having an Ethiopian history professor.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 4:13 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I can't believe a version of the brick joke showed up on a major tv show.

I'm not.  The joke almost telegraphs the entire meta of this series, IMO.

Watchmen reminds me of Lost and the Harry Potter novels where something that everyone thinks is a McGuffin will actually turn out to be the most important thing in the plot.

Nearly every storyline from all of these acclaimed television shows that are credited with being so clever all seem to use the logic of Chekov's gun.

I think that's the only thing that annoys me about this show.

Edited by J.T.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:31 AM, J.T. said:

I'm not.  The joke almost telegraphs the entire meta of this series, IMO.

Watchmen reminds me of Lost and the Harry Potter novels where something that everyone thinks is a McGuffin will actually turn out to be the most important thing in the plot.

Speaking of META curveballs, I lost my shit for the closing music to episode 2 with "Superfly" suddenly becoming the Beastie Boys' "Egg Man." Absolutely brilliant stuff.

• Like 1

Titans is getting a third season.  I generally liked S1 aside from its take on Hawk and Dove, though it was shot way too dark and took too long to really get going.  Still need to get to S2 but I've had trouble just keeping up with the Arrowverse and Good Place, so I'm not sure whether I'll get to it  before Christmas.

On 11/11/2019 at 1:38 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Holy shit,  Adrian crabbing for baby clones was a sight to behold.  I am loving all the Lady Truie stuff we got this week, maybe that is our answer for who put Veidt in prison

Doesn't really explain why Veidt is testing a prototype pressure suit in Ep 2, though or why he was so upset by its failure.  Also does not explain why Veidt uses a catapult and hurls dead clones through the air in an obvious attempt to test the geospatial limits of his "confinement."

I am beginning to suspect that the Veidt Is On Mars theory is true and that Dr. Manhattan is his jailer.

Lady Trieu is an excellent addition to the mythology, though.

Edited by J.T.

11 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I think my biggest takeaway from Batwoman so far, is that they are willing to do some really dark shit on this show. 

Haven't seen this week's yet but last week was all kinds of fucked up.  Considering what Beth had to go through it had to have been something like that to turn her into who she is now.  But I love it as it really stands out compared to shows like Supergirl and others.

20 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I think my biggest takeaway from Batwoman so far, is that they are willing to do some really dark shit on this show. 

I mean it is Gotham so its not that surprising. 

This week's Supergirl was a nice look at Andrea Rojas and her relationship with Lena. They added some decent enough layers to Andrea while Lena's fall continues to be one of the most interesting if depressing things this season among all of the CW DC shows.

This week's Black Lightning was another nice episode. Kind of digging how Lynn is getting bit darker due to a certain A.S.A. agent's manipulation. Also thought the reveal with Henderson at the end was neat. 

• Like 2