DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

42 minutes ago, Raziel said:

But also yeah, they've hit us over the head with whatever the fuck Adrian is doing is going to be what brings Manhattan back to Earth.

If he's not already here.

Spoiler

This mysterious Game Warden has to have something to do with Dr. Manhattan, right?   Who else would remind Veidt about the "agreement for his captivity?"

It's also kinda obvious that Grandpa Abar's friend in a high place is Dr. Manhattan since Laurie's sign that "God" was still watching was Angela's SUV falling from the sky as the titular Space Junk followed by planet Mars being surrounded by a halo of red light.

Edited by J.T.

While Angela's SUV being taken and the timing of the drop suggest it has to do with Manhattan, it's also possible the two aren't related and Laurie was just in the right place at the right time. Lindelof is not averse to big cosmic coincidences that characters interpret however they please. 

It's probably Manhattan. But I wouldn't say it's a lock. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I'd say yes, if Will wasn't lifted away in the first place with a giant flying magnet.  Manhattan would've just done it himself.  Game Warden is weird though, unless he  has something to do with the person we meed next week that bought Veidt's company.

• Like 1

I've dug every episode thus far. I was tickled at Henry Louis Gates' inclusion in the episode.

By the way, I know we're only three episodes in, but with this and the Leftovers, can people start giving Damon Lindelof a break now?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'd say yes, if Will wasn't lifted away in the first place with a giant flying magnet.  Manhattan would've just done it himself.  Game Warden is weird though, unless he  has something to do with the person we meed next week that bought Veidt's company.

Ah, yeah.  The terms of Veidt's captivity could've indeed been with Lady Trieu rather than Manhattan and the dropping vehicle could very well be coincidence.

Laurie thinks it's a sign from Manhattan while it's merely Trieu disposing of evidence.

Why would a kabillionaire like Trieu have need for Grandpa Abar unless he'd get the entire city of Tulsa as his Redford-rations for the Black Wall Street attack and they're somehow working out a drug deal to center her business ops?

Edited by J.T.

It seems like Adrian is imprisoned and is planning an escape by way of how he is using clones and testing spacesuits?  Is he imprisoned on Mars? I don't know but he's plotting something and I wonder if the "Game Warden" is also his creation.  

One thing I loved about this episode was how different the scene with Agent Black/F.B.I. felt from what we've seen in Tulsa.  It felt like standard CBS cop drama stuff and I wonder if that was intentional?  Now she's dropped into Tulsa and Tulsa has a unique aesthetic and atmosphere to it in comparison to what we saw Washington or wherever they were.  

It also made me miss Tulsa big time.  I was watching and going "can we PLEASE get to Tulsa.."  

17 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It seems like Adrian is imprisoned and is planning an escape by way of how he is using clones and testing spacesuits?  Is he imprisoned on Mars?

I am glad someone else brought this up.  This notion came to me last night and I was like, "Nah, that's just weird." 

But it would be in Dr. Manhattan's wheelhouse to create a little capsule environment on Mars where Ozymandias could eek out his days and it would be just like Veidt to be smart enough to use what was at hand and try to find a way to escape confinement,

Honestly, I think that Veidt has already gotten free once, hence the reminder of the terms of captivity and the urban renewal plan on Mars that we saw in the very first episode.  Was Manhattan clearing out the old prison to make way for a new one?

It dawned on me that might be the case since there is no current era technology at the castle.  Someone is deliberately keeping Veidt in a technological black hole, but Ozymandias is the smartest man ever and could probably build a functioning spaceworthy rocket out of potatoes and rocks if he wanted to.

The clones are just lab rats to test his theories or at least the male ones are.  He hasn't frozen or incinerated any of the female clones like Mrs. Crookshanks yet in one of his experiments.

Edited by J.T.

I meant to say this in my last post, but I get really happy whenever Curtis pops back in to help Team Arrow. I didn't realize how much I liked the character until he was gone. Ollie reluctantly putting over his beard was hilarious.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Flash was kinda weird this week, but I found myself liking it. Nice little red herring to make you think Barry really is gonna eat it.

So Arrow had to be the on-the-low backdoor pilot for Birds of Prey, right?

Well, the movies got the name Birds of Prey. The spin off is gonna be called "Green Arrow and the Canaries".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Flash was kinda weird this week, but I found myself liking it. Nice little red herring to make you think Barry really is gonna eat it.

So Arrow had to be the on-the-low backdoor pilot for Birds of Prey, right?

I dug Cisco getting the focus.

And Arrow was totally a backdoor pilot or build for the Canaries show. I enjoyed it, but I still have no interest in seeing more of the Future kids or Star City once after Crisis.

Caught up on Watchmen.

The idea of the Kaiser trying to recruit black American soldiers to turn and fight for Germany is so plausible I'm wondering if it happened in real life (and only a couple decades before Germany would begin to execute people simply for being black themselves)

Tying so much into the destruction of Tulsa is a fascinating decision. I'm not positive it's going to ever work without feeling exploitative (there's some... stuff to unpack with police brutality against white supremacists being a theme, and I feel far to white to be the person trying to unpack it)

So, Dan is in prison, Laurie is a Fed, Adrian is "dead" and Jon is allegedly still on Mars. Let's see how these pieces move around everything new we are getting.

I can't believe a version of the brick joke showed up on a major tv show.

When you watch a comic book movie or TV show, you might want to read the comic books as a result. I'm probably talking to people who have read the following Batwoman books but for those who haven't, read:

Batwoman: Elegy

Blackest Night from Batman and Robin (Vol. 1) #7-9

Batwoman (Vol. 3): World's Finest

Batwoman (Vol. 4): This Blood Is Thick.

Batwoman: Elegy is a must read.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

BTW, if you haven't already, anyone watching Watchmen should check out Peteypedia. It looks like some new stuff was added this week. 

I think one thing I want to see the TV show address is just what is the state of the world at this point. What was the state of the world in the 90s and early 00s? Are things starting to fall apart? Did nations agree to dismantle their nukes? 

I do like how local and focused everything has been, but I still want to know what else is going on in that world.

And also, from Peteypedia, this made me shudder:

Free at last, free at last, if we can get a McConnell or a Keene or a Limbaugh elected in 2020, we’ll be free at last!

That was from the New Frontiersman clipping.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The idea of the Kaiser trying to recruit black American soldiers to turn and fight for Germany is so plausible I'm wondering if it happened in real life (and only a couple decades before Germany would begin to execute people simply for being black themselves)

Happened in both WW1 and WW2.

Here's an example of one of the leaflets in the former:

Spoiler

mp191.jpg

For clarification, the goal wasn't so much to get black soldiers to fight for Germany as it was to kill morale and encourage desertion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2019 at 6:43 AM, J.T. said:

It dawned on me that might be the case since there is no current era technology at the castle.  Someone is deliberately keeping Veidt in a technological black hole

Sure, that does look to be the case, but current era technology in Watchmen's 2019 hardly exists to begin with. The internet is in its infancy, and limited to basically law enforcement (one of the Peteypedia entries explains to other law enforcement how to use email ffs).

When Laurie gave Angela her card, there was no mention of a cell phone or anything.

It was a pager.

In 2019.

Also, you guys are way overthinking this stuff. The Game Warden is probably another clone, and a part of some game that bored multi-billionaire Adrian Veidt has come up with to occupy his time while he's in hiding due to, y'know, faking his own death.

Edited by Casey