DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

The news stand scene and the American Hero Story felt like they were lifted straight out of the comics. Really did justice to some of the asides in the book.

I'm not buying the Jeremy Irons as Dr Manhattan theory. Maybe for episode one you could squint and see it. That bonkers scene blows the theory up, IMO. 

"I have friends in high places." Bravo. 

Edit: His Wikipedia page hasn't been updated to reflect it yet, but that was Robert Wisdom running the new stand, right? 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

A very sold second episode.

The very idea that the Nazi's, the folks that gave you the Final Solution, would try to sway the outcome of WWII by trying to get black people to desert by pointing out the injustice of Jim Crow America was totally fucking brilliant.  It made my skin crawl.

Flash forward to the Tulsa cops rounding up poor whites by using Gestapo tactics and beating them down as if it was revenge for Selma and you're not particularly swayed to be particularly sympathetic towards them because racists deserve it anyway, right?   

Yeah, I don't think the social satire of this series is solely targeted at those of a far right leaning ideological perspective.

As far as the big reveal for the sheriff goes:

Spoiler

Eh.  I don't think his Klan robe was necessarily indicative that he was currently affiliated with the group.  He may have thought that way once, but maybe the events of the White Night and growing closer to Angela moved his heart in a different direction.

Instead of Martial Feats of Comanche Horsemanship, I think the title of this episode should've been Jeremy Iron's Character Is Not Dr. Manhattan since they went out of their way to tell us that Dr. Manhattan cannot use his powers to make himself look like a human being.

Theory debunked.

But tomatoes growing on trees instead of vines and trying to teach human simulacra what it is to be human?  Yeah. That mother fucker is probably Ozymandias.

Could the showrunners be fucking with us?  Maybe.

Edited by J.T.

Re: Irons being Manhattan.

Man, I was really buying into that theory for the first half of the episode.  This is the type of story that when EVERYBODY is telling you something is impossible (Manhattan can’t look like us!), then it’s 100% possible and probably going to happen.

But then the play happened, and I find it very hard to believe Manhattan would be so casually, almost gleefully cruel to his creations.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EVA said:

But then the play happened, and I find it very hard to believe Manhattan would be so casually, almost gleefully cruel to his creations.

That and as last night's episode pounded into our heads, Manhattan's powers are tied to the laws and theories of natural physics so he can't make anything happen that is not within the normal scope of universal forces.

A broad category, but still limiting in scope nonetheless.

I think the tree tomato was supposed to be a dead giveaway.  I think that was put into the show to be weird and serve as a red flag. 

I don't think the showrunners were giving us credit for being smart and waving it off by thinking that the old man in the castle was wealthy enough to have a tamarillo tree on his property. 

Besides, tamarillos don't look like the fruit that the old man pulled off of the tree.

Also, we're all sleeping on the fact that Topher appeared to be building an exact replica of the old man's castle with his Manhattan Blocks set. 

What the fuck is up with that kid?  He is fucking creepy.

Edited by J.T.

Yeah, I wanna say that Irons is absolutely Veidt after that episode, but I don't recall offhand of Veidt was there when Jon became Manhattan or not.

Wait, did Night Owl save Will?

Edited by Raziel

7 hours ago, EVA said:

Re: Irons being Manhattan.

Man, I was really buying into that theory for the first half of the episode.  This is the type of story that when EVERYBODY is telling you something is impossible (Manhattan can’t look like us!), then it’s 100% possible and probably going to happen.

You're 100% right about them telling us too strongly that Manhattan can't look like a run-of-the-mill human. Even if it's not Irons, them leaning on that so hard last night has me thinking he's already back on Earth. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

I mean, I could buy it, but he's acting way too... flippant?  Eccentric?  Manhattan just seemed way too buttoned up and beyond all that, which it seems right in Ozzymandas' wheelhouse.  But yeah.  My bigger question is just who the hell Will is in relation to everyone else, at least that someone with a Night Owl flyer would rescue him.

I was guessing since the cops had, something similar I guess. 

Just taking a stab since Laurie is coming next week and Dan is showing up at some point

Edited by Raziel

I'm a little sad about Mechad Brooks leaving Supergirl, but they gave him a great exit last night. Loved the final line of "call me Jimmy". Hope we at least see Guardian in Crisis, and he doesn't get killed off, because I legit want to see him turn Calvintown around.

Lena just keeps disappointing me after we were all pulling for her.

Enjoyed Batwoman again, but episode 4 is a bit too early for a placeholder episode, and that's what this felt like to me. I guess we need a few episodes to show Kate learning how to be more "Bat-like", though. I'm not super familiar with how she's written in the comics, but I don't want her to be a Bruce Wayne level sociopath.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You're 100% right about them telling us too strongly that Manhattan can't look like a run-of-the-mill human. Even if it's not Irons, them leaning on that so hard last night has me thinking he's already back on Earth. 

Yeah, I’ve been thinking that’s the case, the more I’ve thought about it.

17 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I'm a little sad about Mechad Brooks leaving Supergirl, but they gave him a great exit last night. Loved the final line of "call me Jimmy". Hope we at least see Guardian in Crisis, and he doesn't get killed off, because I legit want to see him turn Calvintown around.

Lena just keeps disappointing me after we were all pulling for her.

Enjoyed Batwoman again, but episode 4 is a bit too early for a placeholder episode, and that's what this felt like to me. I guess we need a few episodes to show Kate learning how to be more "Bat-like", though. I'm not super familiar with how she's written in the comics, but I don't want her to be a Bruce Wayne level sociopath.

I echo your sentiments on Supergirl with Brooks' departure and Lena's continuing spiral.

In the comics Kate is actually decently disciplined as Batwoman. She isn't Bruce level, but she isn't Dick levels either. Her father acting as her support with both having military backgrounds made sense of it. Her having to learn on the go actually makes sense with how she came into the cowl and her general story in the CW series. 

17 hours ago, D.Z said:

While it will be nice to see a follow up on the super family, I'm not sure I really want a full blown show about them.

18 hours ago, Raziel said:

I was guessing since the cops had, something similar I guess. 

Hide contents

Just taking a stab since Laurie is coming next week and Dan is showing up at some point

Spoiler

Laurie is with the FBI, and Dan has been in federal custody since 1995 for violating the Keene Act.

Ozymandias wasn't there when Jon was vaporized, but Janey Slater eventually worked for one of Veidt's many corporations. Veidt is the reason she developed lung cancer. Jeremy Irons is Ozymandias, unless Dr. Manhattan just likes wearing Ozy's outfit, since you can see him wearing it in a mock trial in previews of upcoming episodes. I'm convinced my theory is right - and I already hit it on the head with there being multiple versions of the housekeeper man and woman, most likely clones. There's also a theory floating around that the housekeepers are clones of Jon Osterman and Janey Slater, which seems at least possible due to the play and whatnot.

Also, a (not so) crazy theory about the White Night (and who was the third survivor???):

Spoiler

Judd shot Angela

In the new update to Peteypedia (HBO's supplemental content for Watchmen), it's revealed that Judd served under Robert S. Mueller in Vietnam. Yes, THAT Robert Mueller.

The senator we met in this episode was the son of John David Keene - the man responsible for the Keene Act. 

And, last thing: Will Reeves (Louis Gossett Jr.) was totally Hooded Justice back in the day. The man dipped his hand into a boiling pot of water and didn't even flinch. He hung Judd Crawford, but he's in a wheelchair. The idea behind those two scenes from American Hero Story was that the real Hooded Justice killed and framed this circus strongman as Hooded Justice, so he could slip away and disappear. I think it's entirely possible.

• Like 1

I’m watching last night’s Flash. During an overhead shot of Star Labs I was wondering when they would get around to repairing the outside of the lab when I noticed that there were a ton of cars parked in the parking lots around Star Labs. 1) Why? 2) It suddenly makes a little more sense how so many people just walked right in.

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Green Lantern coming to HBO MAX. 

I am kinda meh about Green Lantern, but I am all fucking in for Adam Strange as long as one of the running BBEG's is Kanjar Ro.

With the success of Cosmic MCU, I am actually surprised it took DC this long to do something with Adam Strange or any of the other Mystery In Space IPs.

I think I'd actually pay release day cash to see a Space Ranger feature length film or something based on the Prince Gavyn / Starman saga.

Edited by J.T.

34 minutes ago, Casey said:

Pretty sure STAR Labs is now the Flash Museum as of 2018.

They opened the STAR Labs Museum when HR Wells was around, but I thought it flopped and closed. They haven’t opened the Flash Museum yet.

I’m just picturing the city leasing the parking lot of a partially destroyed science lab as a commuter lot. The people who get there later in the day are like “Dammit, I can only find a space by one of the particle accelerator holes. I knew I should have left earlier.”

Edited by JonnyLaw

Ah yeah, I read the Wiki wrong. It's somewhere in between 2018 and 2024 that STAR Labs becomes the Flash Museum.

I don't think it flopped, though? Unless I'm forgetting something or the Wiki isn't describing something. HR closed the museum, but that was a timeline where Savitar actually killed Iris.

That last scene with Barry and Joe in last night's Flash was wonderfully. If I could tear up at shows and movies that one would have gotten me.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Ah yeah, I read the Wiki wrong. It's somewhere in between 2018 and 2024 that STAR Labs becomes the Flash Museum.

I don't think it flopped, though? Unless I'm forgetting something or the Wiki isn't describing something. HR closed the museum, but that was a timeline where Savitar actually killed Iris.

They started the Flash museum. It wasn't super successful though I can't recall if it flat out flopped or not. I don't think they ever really followed up on it after HR died.

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Green Lantern coming to HBO MAX. 

Interested in both though they seem a bit big for Berlanti.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That last scene with Barry and Joe in last night's Flash was wonderfully. If I could tear up at shows and movies that one would have gotten me.

That scene brought the heaviness and I loved it.  If you told me this was the final season the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised.  But between this and the scientist's full turn to villainy (blanking on the name) this was by far one of my favorite episodes.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That scene brought the heaviness and I loved it.  If you told me this was the final season the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised.  But between this and the scientist's full turn to villainy (blanking on the name) this was by far one of my favorite episodes.

Ramsey. No idea on his last name or the villain name since he isn't a character I'm familiar with.

• Thanks 1