DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

White supremacists subverting things that aren't inherently white supremacist is pretty par for the course.

*googles "Christian Identity Movement"*

You know?  I believe you are correct and suddenly it all makes sense now.

If White Supremacists are capable of turning scripture into racist doctrine, converting Rorschach's journal into a hate manifesto should be a breeze.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Robert Redford as a reverse Ronald Reagan is very entertaining to me.

The very idea that he couldn't have appeared in Captain America: The Winter Soldier or Avengers: Endgame in that DC IP alternate universe because he was acting POTUS at the time just makes me smile big on the inside.

Shots fucking fired.

Edited by J.T.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:16 PM, Bustronaut said:

The trailers were cut in such a way to play up the police as possible terrorists angle.  The show in no way centers on that, but hoo boy does it swing for the fences against conservatives.

It may turn out to be like an episode of South Park and end up skewering everyone.  

I'm sure the social justice warrior viewers out there did not bat an eyelash when Sister Night beat the information out of that 7K member.  After all, the racist bastard had it coming, right?

Even those that claim to want equality for all don't really want equality for all.

Edited by J.T.

Now that I'm not on my phone, I have an Irons guess

Spoiler

I think he's Manhattan, and the Maid/Butler are, well, Dereks form THE GOOD PLACE.  Automatons that he created in an experiment to create life that didn't *quite* work out.  The Manhattan on Mars is an illusion to keep people from knowing he's back on earth, trying to relearn what it is to be human after the Squid incident.

:

• Like 3

HBO has a website with supplemental material that expands on the world of Watchmen, post-graphic novel.

Also, @Bustronaut:

Spoiler

I don't know if I entirely believe that theory, but what's interesting is that Sister Night's kid and Doctor Manhattan on Mars both built replicas of Jeremy Iron's character's mansion in the pilot.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

I'm enjoying Odell playing master manipulator in Black Lightning. The one on one between him and Tobias was fun. The way Grace kind of just walked back in to be with Anissa felt kind of lazy and cheap with the way she left and how they were building that story. 

Arrow was a nice episode with everyone still reeling from the end of last week. The reveal at the end was neat. Never knew much about the character's original role in comics so it will be interesting to see how all of this plays out in Crisis.

Flash had some fun moments with us meeting Ralph's mother and the newest Wells. Have to say while I do like Frost getting more play this season it would be nice to see more of Caitlin. Going off of the preview for next week's it does look like Bloodwork really will be the pre-Crisis big bad which I'm happy with. The character is decent so far, but nothing I want to explore for a whole season.

• Like 1

Irons as Dr. Manhattan is an interesting theory.  I’ve seen it popping up in a few places now.

Worth noting that Irons spends part of the episode lounging around nude, which we know is a favorite pastime of Manhattan.

I wouldn't put it past the showrunners to confirm that Irons is both Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias and that Dr. Manhattan has a presence on Mars as his blue self and on Earth as the old man in the castle.

He's the only one in the setting with super powers and since those powers can bend reality, the rules really don't apply to him.

Edited by J.T.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:08 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Apparently there's a Bass Reeves movie from 2010 that I'd never heard of and went so under the radar that it doesn't even have its own wikipedia page. Huh.  

The legendary Bass Reeves getting a shout out at the beginning of Watchmen was not what I expected! And yeah, my immediate reaction was 'how have they not made a biopic about him yet?' so to hear this is a bit disconcerting haha.

I enjoyed the pilot but found it a bit all over the place and somewhat confusing in tone and storytelling... which I suppose makes it a good follow up to the comic!

My missus, who hasn't read it, was very confused by the squid shower. I popped for it as I never thought there'd be ongoing issues regarding the 'alien invasion'.

I wish I'd not read your Ozymandias/Manhattan theories however, makes a lot of sense ?

Edited by BurningBeard

4 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

My missus, who hasn't read it, was very confused by the squid shower. I popped for it as I never thought there'd be ongoing issues regarding the 'alien invasion'.

I wish I'd not read your Ozymandias/Manhattan theories however, makes a lot of sense ?

That's why I think that Ozymandias / Dr. Manhattan is a dual role thing and Manhattan is using his powers to keep the alien squid narrative alive, even moreso in the advent of Rorscach's journal going live and emerging conspiracy theories that the alien squid attack might have been a staged event.

Which it was, just not by the US government.

I also think that the old man in the castle's weird staff members are also extensions of Dr. Manhattan.  The maid was just a little too comfortable with and casual about massaging the thigh of an naked old white man.  The three of them just seem a bit.. off... like they're all in the early stages of learning about human behavior.

Edited by J.T.

26 minutes ago, Casey said:

Or Veidt is alive, and has moved beyond genetically engineered animals.

That was my thought when watching it as I vaguely remember his lion being genetically engineered.

Plus he obviously has a big role for them in mind later down the line which was another reason why I'm dubious about the Dr Manhattan thing

Edited by BurningBeard

Occam's Razor says that Dr. Manhattan is the easiest answer since we have conformation from the news broadcast that he's still around and his powers allow him to do anything, like make it rain squids as a reminder of the New York incident.

Plus, I didn't think nekkid Jeremy Irons would be the reason for the Nudity / TV-MA warning and Dr. Manhattan gives zero shits about your clothing taboos.

HBO being HBO and showrunners enjoying being clever, I also realize that all of those things could be red herrings setting us up for something else and I do so enjoy it when writers and directors give me the benefit of the doubt of being smart and familiar with the source material.

Edited by J.T.

It was a lynx, but I'm just being picky now. But, yeah, Bubastis was genetically engineered, as well as the squid (in the movie it was just a machine).

For someone who left Earth willingly, Dr. Manhattan is sure keeping up appearances on Earth in the 30+ years since the events of the graphic novel. He wouldn't need to be the person keeping the squid rain going, since Veidt was just "declared dead" within a month (or so) of when the show takes place in 2019. Veidt was alive for all of this time, from 1985 to 2019, while Manhattan was off-world for that entire time (that we know of, as of right now). The journals went live in 1986 according to the memo sent by Agent Dale Petey to the Anti-Vigilante Task Force, so either Veidt has been keeping the hoax going, or Manhattan has for some reason or another. I'm inclined to believe that if Veidt can teleport a huge squid to multiple points on Earth simultaneously, he can make it rain squids pretty easily. 

Veidt "disappeared" or went into hiding sometime around 2012, according to his obituary. Around this time, Veidt had perfected animal cloning and it was a common practice in society because of him. "Millennium by Veidt" was a marketing and philanthropic venture he set out on, making himself a guru in the "human potential movement", which was Veidt trying to move society towards a technological utopia "led by transcendent supermen".

If anything, in my opinion, you're likely to see: Veidt is still alive, in hiding since 2012 in England, living with clones, trying to replicate what happened to Jon Osterman (either on himself, the clone servant(s), or some random person/clone).

Yes, it's 9AM, I'm wide awake when I should be asleep, and I care way too much about Watchmen and this TV show. ?

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yes, it's 9AM, I'm wide awake when I should be asleep, and I care way too much about Watchmen and this TV show. ?

if the reason you should be asleep is because you've got graveyard duty, you have my sympathies.

I should be back to working nights after Thanksgiving and won't finish until about a week before Christmas.

Love the money; hate the effect on my bio clock.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

if the reason you should be asleep is because you've got graveyard duty, you have my sympathies.

I should be back to working nights after Thanksgiving and won't finish until about a week before Christmas.

Love the money; hate the effect on my bio clock.

I work every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 4pm to 5:30am. So... kinda graveyard?

Edited by Casey

Just now, Casey said:

I worked every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 4pm to 5:30am. So... kinda graveyard?

That's even worse.  I feel worthless when I work nights.  The only thing I want to do during the day is eat and sleep.  Motivation goes straight to shit.

8 hours ago, RandomAct said:

When they announced that Lyla would be Harbinger, I assumed it would be an alternate Earth version of her(kinda like Wells/Pariah), but I find it kinda neat that the real Lyla was Harbinger all along.

What's even cooler is this means Lyla has been Harbinger for the Monitor since before these shows even began.

• Like 3

It's early but WATCHMEN is on fire. I loved the second episode maybe even more than the first.  Everything with the Redfordations and the implications of that is fantastic work all around and the mysteries behind a few of the characters are engaging. 

Also,  Jeremy Irons..  off Broadway plays...  clones...  I mean what the fuck how awesome is that.   Also, their version of American Crime Story is something lol 

• Like 1