DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

There was a banner for a convention panel for this show where it had something like “Probably who you think he is” under Jeremy Irons’s picture.

Also, in the previews, he was seen riding his horse past a pirate flag, which is...a pretty strong indicator, too, given what the Black Freighter stuff represents.

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I've some strong positive reviews from comics pros, which is mildly surprising. 

The whole idea of comics pros just makes me laugh a little.

And a bit envious.  if I could make a steady living as a comics pro, I'd cheerfully ditch being a government war games hacker.

Edited by J.T.

I think I'm enjoying Batwoman more with each episode though the one thing I could really do w/o is Kate's ex. I just don't care for the woman or care to see her and Kate try to resolve their issues with each other, especially if it somehow ends up with them back together.

Supergirl was another nice episode with them going into Jo'nn's past with his brother, Brainy/Dreamer relationship issues, and Lena's manipulation of Kara. Have to say that as much as I hate seeing Lena turn evil, they have made it impossible for me to reject it just because they are doing it pretty well.

So is the new Watchmen series something someone who has never read the comic can check out?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So is the new Watchmen series something someone who has never read the comic can check out?

I would say so because it does appear to be hitting on a lot of interesting things politically but there are things where you'd be lost too.  There's not much reading to do for it it's a short and easy read I may go back and read it again myself soon.  The movie is great too IMO but it's divisive so maybe stick to the novel. 

• Like 1

The only thing that annoys me about the show is:

Spoiler

The Seventh Kavalry are white supremacists.

Rorschach was a right-wing reactionary to be sure, but he wasn't a racist or at least there is little evidence in the graphic novel to suggest that he was. 

Honestly, I think he hated everyone equally. LOL~!

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Hide contents

Rorschach was a right-wing reactionary to be sure, but he wasn't a racist or at least there is little evidence in the graphic novel to suggest that he was. 

I think the Kavalry are just old Klan members that happened to latch on to the journals to go anti-everything.  And since the opening of the show was the Black Wall Street Massacre I'm going with they're descendants of the group that started that.  I mean, they were outright quoting Rorschach and one of the questions the Mirror Masked dude asked was about believing the Squids were bullshit (which they are and the basis if which would be in the journal).  

I kinda do want to know how the Cops got to the masks when Masks are supposed to be outlawed anyway.  

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

If Irons is who everyone thinks he is, I don't know how much backstory we're gonna get, but I'd say yes, outside of a couple things that could be answered with a question or two.  And the graphic novel itself is a relatively easy read.  The movie won't really help as they're going with the book ending and not the movie, which is fine, even though I liked both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think they are showing how his journal has inspired the group even unintentionally because they lifting commentary from it that they are interpreting to fit their agenda

• Thanks 1

Yeah, the graphic novel goes by incredibly fast. If you haven't read it, you may as well check it out at the library and spend a couple days breezing through it. Either that or read one of the hundreds of Watchmen recaps websites did leading up to the tv show's launch.

Regarding Irons' character:

Spoiler

Here's another reason why I don't think he's Ozymandias: In the "weeks ahead" preview he's says a line about how fear is more powerful than nuclear weapons and they're trying to prevent the extinction of the human race or something like that. It's only one episode, but the fears of war from the original comic aren't necessarily there now. Irons could just be another nutter like the white supremacist idiots who has taken his inspiration from Veidt like they did from the journals. The fear and risk of war is gone, but perhaps Irons thinks society needs to be purified to save itself and that means painting police friendly to black people and black people or people of color in general as enemies that need to be eradicated.

I'm probably wrong, but I see this is all going to lead to a modern day Black Wall Street Massacre set exactly where it was the last time, but with the power of media he'll be able to create a movement across the country and the world.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

I think I'm enjoying Batwoman more with each episode though the one thing I could really do w/o is Kate's ex. I just don't care for the woman or care to see her and Kate try to resolve their issues with each other, especially if it somehow ends up with them back together.

Supergirl was another nice episode with them going into Jo'nn's past with his brother, Brainy/Dreamer relationship issues, and Lena's manipulation of Kara. Have to say that as much as I hate seeing Lena turn evil, they have made it impossible for me to reject it just because they are doing it pretty well.

I'm kinda stunned at how enjoyable Batwoman is this early. Of all the Berlanti shows, The Flash is the only one that really had a super strong first season, but so far I am confident in adding this.  I also don't care for the ex, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that arc get dropped. I liked how organic the reveal of the new suit was.  Also they introduced fucking Hush, so I'm happy.

Re: Lena Luthor, if nothing else, her slow turn is making me sad, in an intended way. She genuinely thinks she's doing good, but finds some new awful thing to do to justify her actions every week. Much like Flash this season, the show is doing a good job of having multiple stories going on at once.

• Like 1

I take it Batwoman gets a lot, lot, lot better after the pilot or something? Because the ONLY thing that was worthwhile in that pilot was Rachel Skarsten. Far and away the best actor or actress the entire 40 minutes or whatever I endured through that first episode.

Yeah, I really didn't like the pilot. I'll give the second episode a try tonight probably, I guess. The suit in the pilot looks weird, too.

8 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

I'm kinda stunned at how enjoyable Batwoman is this early. Of all the Berlanti shows, The Flash is the only one that really had a super strong first season, but so far I am confident in adding this.  I also don't care for the ex, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that arc get dropped. I liked how organic the reveal of the new suit was.  Also they introduced fucking Hush, so I'm happy.

I don't think its hits Flash S1 level, but yeah, I do feel like i have less complaints than I did with the other Berlanti shows. Also really dug how they did Hush, including the hint dropped of how he figured it out.

10 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

Re: Lena Luthor, if nothing else, her slow turn is making me sad, in an intended way. She genuinely thinks she's doing good, but finds some new awful thing to do to justify her actions every week. Much like Flash this season, the show is doing a good job of having multiple stories going on at once.

That is exactly what it is about Lena's turn. It makes you disappointed and sad w/o feeling forced and pissing you off. You don't want it to happen but not because its nonsensical. You are just sad to see her continually fall morally down the rabbit hole.

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

I take it Batwoman gets a lot, lot, lot better after the pilot or something? Because the ONLY thing that was worthwhile in that pilot was Rachel Skarsten. Far and away the best actor or actress the entire 40 minutes or whatever I endured through that first episode.

Yeah, I really didn't like the pilot. I'll give the second episode a try tonight probably, I guess. The suit in the pilot looks weird, too.

I have doubts you will like it if you only liked Skarsten in the first episode. Even with this latest one I'm guessing you would only add Thomas Elliot to you decent list.

The suit looked weird because Kate wasn't really trying to be Batwoman yet. It hits that point organically over the next two episodes.

I'm tempted to keep on with the show just because of Rachel Skarsten, but yeah, you're probably right. The two worst offenders on this show are Ruby Rose and Dougray Scott, and they're both main characters (well, maybe in Dougray's case, who knows), so that doesn't bode too well for my enjoyment of the show I guess.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:56 PM, Bustronaut said:

What are the politics?  It looked somewhat anti-cop from the trailer, which is a bold stance I'd appreciate.

Maybe it's just me, but this show 100% doesn't seem anti-cop - just basing that off the first episode, though. Maybe things change in later episodes?

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

You really must read the Watchmen comic book. It's one of the best comic books I've ever read, top five at least.

Edited by The Natural