DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

Thought Flash had a solid return with Barry and Iris still dealing with the loss of Nora. Its nice seeing them slowly build toward Ralph getting to meet his future wife. The big bad of his first half of the season seems ok. Still a bit too early to say much. 

4 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

Batwoman was great! Probably the best Berlantiverse pilot at the very least.  IDK where the "bad actress" label came from for Rose, but the voice over could do with some more work I guess.

I find her at minimum competent so the bad actress talk feels weird to me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

Also THAT music cue toward the end of the episode might have been THE moment of the entire Flash run.  An overarching statement from the new showrunner.

I don't say this lightly, but that was up there with "run Barry, run" or Flash/Arrow/Firestorm vs Reverse Flash as an all-time great moment on the show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Holy crap that's somehow better seeing it the second time.  I admit to not seeing the first season of Flash but this has to be one of my favorite moments from the show.  And you know they've been wanting to use that song for the longest time.  That's just fan-freaking-tastic.

I gave Batwoman a shot and it didn't long until I changed the DVR to make it a series recording.  The acting seemed fine to me and I love how they're doing it.  What sold my wife on the show and had her pumping her fist in the air was this:

Kate: I need you to fix his suit.
Luke: The suit is literal perfection.
Kate: It will be. When it fits a woman.

Holy cow was that a killer line.  Between this show and Supergirl those are ones we'll definitely need to watch together.  I haven't seen Black Lightning yet as catching up is a bit harder with 4 more hours of wrestling (NWA, extra NXT hour and AEW)  First world problems and all but glad to see the DC shows are back on.

EDIT:  Hey, @J.T.  You happen to catch Black Lightning's season opener?  it was a pretty good start and there seems to be a focus on Anissa this season.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Found actual quote
  • Like 2

Watched Batwoman. I liked it. Thought Ruby Rose was just fine. I liked that they didn't dick around and got the Alice reveal out of the way. Thought the action was handled very well, though having someone get whacked from behind with a 2x4 on three separate occasions annoyed me a little. I could live without the love triangle since it kind of echos The Flash, but whatever. Looking forward to seeing this one grow. 

I feel like Supergirl may lowkey end up being the best of the CW shows this season, based on the first couple of episodes. Flash will, of course, have all the cool fan service stuff, but they have had trouble keeping the rudder in the water at times. Supergirl seems to have the best understanding of what kind of show it wants to be, and has no issue leaning into it.

Thought Batwoman was pretty decent in the second episode, but there is something that I can't quite put my finger on that isn't sitting right with me. Like, something seems "off", but I couldn't tell you what it is.  I will say that they went way too hard on the "is she, or isn't she" stuff with Alice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Thought Batwoman was pretty decent in the second episode, but there is something that I can't quite put my finger on that isn't sitting right with me. Like, something seems "off", but I couldn't tell you what it is.  I will say that they went way too hard on the "is she, or isn't she" stuff with Alice.

I liked the second episode of Batwoman more than the first, but I agree that something feels off with it.

4 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I feel like Supergirl may lowkey end up being the best of the CW shows this season, based on the first couple of episodes. Flash will, of course, have all the cool fan service stuff, but they have had trouble keeping the rudder in the water at times. Supergirl seems to have the best understanding of what kind of show it wants to be, and has no issue leaning into it.

I'm digging Supergirl. I thought it was the best show last season and wouldn't be surprised if that continues for the exact reasons you mentioned. So would Sunday's episode be Lena's no coming back point from her heel turn?

Black Lightning was another solid episode though I'm curious on how all of this will play out in the end.

Arrow is seemingly starting with Crisis right off the bat. Considering how that episode ended it will be interesting to see when the Flash team notices.

Flash was fun though it will be even better when they start going all in on Crisis. Right now its bit more on the side though what we got was nice enough.

3 hours ago, RandomAct said:

The stuff with Lena was actually really unsettling, so that may have been her tipping point. I can't remember any scene in an Arrowverse show that ever made me as uncomfortable as that Lena/Tessmacher scene.

That was easily the darkest scene they have done in Supergirl and one of the more disturbing moments we have seen in CW's DCU. It makes me even more curious to see how Lena's story is eventually settled because that felt like a moment they can't really come back from unless this all erupts before Crisis and Crisis alters shit.