DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I dug Flash and Black Lightning this week though I'm a bit annoyed that they hint towards Outsiders only to make one of them evil.

4 hours ago, Player One said:

LOl, I'm just the opposite.  I liked Winn in the first season when he was Kara's goofy, more-or-less platonic friend.  I really hated his slow evolution to SUPA HACKA and then to tech whiz DEO agent.  I was kinda rooting for the character (but not the actor) to fall into a pit of fire last season.

I thought Winn was pretty terrible the first season, partially because he wasn't remotely a platonic friend. I thought the hacker skills which were hinted to even in S1 and the relationships he built with people other than Kara made him far more interesting.

I woke up my wife because I was laughing so loud and hard at Nate's dad busting out the Biff Tannen "Make like a tree" joke but delivering it correctly.  It's all the little things on Legends that makes me love it more than the rest of the Berlanti-verse shows.

• Like 3

I thought they turned the corner pretty well with Manchester Black on Supergirl this week. Made him much closer to what he's really supposed to be. Top tier episode for the show this week. Lena went from a character I wouldn't care about if she wasn't played by Katie McGrath, to one of the better parts of this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I never had any issues with Lena. Always liked her. Not sure what could have changed for you this season seeing that she is mostly the same as she has been in terms of her characters building and personality.

Hard for me to explain honestly. I just found her to be kinda dull last season, and I think they are portraying her internal struggle to be a good person vs being a Luthor a lot more effectively now.

On Arrow, i'm curious to see where they go with Diaz now. I don't believe for a second that he's done, especially since he was still breathing when we last saw him.  Pretty great end to the prison arc too, and I liked the redemption angle for Tiger.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandomAct said:

On Arrow, i'm curious to see where they go with Diaz now. I don't believe for a second that he's done, especially since he was still breathing when we last saw him.  Pretty great end to the prison arc too, and I liked the redemption angle for Tiger.

I really hope they are done with Diaz for now. He was effective but not really a favorite for me. I think his story has run its course for now. I did enjoy the whole prison arc, especially Bronze Tiger's redemption. Always hated that they killed him in some web comic no one actually read so I'm glad they hand waved that for this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

I really hope they are done with Diaz for now. He was effective but not really a favorite for me. I think his story has run its course for now. I did enjoy the whole prison arc, especially Bronze Tiger's redemption. Always hated that they killed him in some web comic no one actually read so I'm glad they hand waved that for this.

Didnt Bronze Tiger just appear in King's Batman? 

How old is Nora supposed to be?  Is she an adult?  A teenager?  The writing makes her seem prepubescent.  She looks about 19.  The actress is 34.  

Honestly, she is like a 13-year-old who hates her mom for no reason, loves her dad no matter what, and is a little too self-involved in one episode and a 30-year-old who finally understands her moms perspective the next.  Have they actually established her age on the show?  Have they thought about it?

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

I hope Diaz is absent for a while too, but I do kinda like the idea of him looming off camera somewhere. One thing Arrow has never had is a recurring major villain. I'd like him to stay on ice until next season at the earliest.   I agree that the prison arc was surprisingly well done, especially since they were willing to take their time with it, and used it to have some nice callbacks to earlier seasons.

BInge watched RIverdale and Gotham one after the other and I seemed to like the shenanigans of Gotham more than almost anyone I've read on here or anywhere else. I'm wondering if the bizarrely fast pace and fragmented narrative of Riverdale prepped me for it because it seems to be something they have in common and once I realized it was a feature rather than a bug I really enjoyed both of them and now I'm wondering what to try next.

What I liked: Both of them seem to approach narrative from a comic book structural perspective in the sense that there is no time for transitions between events. there are only so many pages in a comic book so  you often jump from major climax to major climax while leaving a lot of the cause/effect out in between. I don't know how much I would want to see this as a regular way of doing a t.v. show, but in these two cases it was a fun experiment to do that, where from scene to scene the story lurches forward ridiculously fast.

It also may be that I was completely un-invested in the prior history of any of the characters of either show and so it was easier for me to enjoy these versions without lamenting what they might have lost in translation.

There's also this weird way where both shows manage to find a middle ground between two extremes that I thought they would have to choose between: Riverdale between the look/aesthetic of the goody-two-shoes comics with the gothic aesthetic of a modern teen soap...and Gotham between the absurd camp of 60s t.v. Batman and the darkness and violence of "gritty" Dark Knight Gotham. I really like that both shows manage to find a middle space in what seemed like a black & white choice where you would have to favor one or the other. They both faced that choice and both managed to kind of be both sides of their respective pasts at once.

So my question...are any of the other Marvel or D.C. universe shows as fast paced as this? If I'm going to start another I'd kind of like to avoid the more typical CW style of stretching out one arc over a bunch of slow-moving episodes. I would rather watch something that errs on the Gotham/Riverdale side of racing and stumbling forward at an insane and unsustainable rate...I don't know maybe because I'm so old I feel like I don't have time to wait for the good stuff anymore. My attention span is dying off as my brain calcifies and if I haven't seen 5 major characters die and 3 be resurrected by episode 3 of a season I start to get annoyed.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:46 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

The Marvel shows will bore you to tears. As far as the DC shows go, for you I'd recommend Legends Of Tomorrow.

BLACK LIGHTNING IS NUMBER ONE AND THE BEST.

Seriously, Tobias Whale is the best fucking villain I've seen on anything superhero related in a long time.

• Like 1

I love that they timed a Legends two part cliffhanger where they're powerless, to be during the crossover next week. It explains them not being in it. I adore this shared universe. Earth 90 is the Earth of 1990 Flash on CBS? Earth 38 is Supergirl and Superman's Earth cause Superman debuted in 1938? Outstanding.

Earth 90 seems to have Smallvilles Green Arrow in the destruction path. Several other characters appear dead.

Dark Superman in the upcoming crossover comes from another reality, so it's the TV version of either Super boy Prime, Injustice Superman, or Ultraman or something else.