DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

Zero fucks given LoT is my favorite kind of LoT.  It was fun and wacky and worked quite nicely in progressing the totem story.  Oh, and Ray is a dumbass.  A well-intentioned dumbass but a dumbass nonetheless.

Also enjoyed Flash with the evolution of Dibny from deadbeat sleazeball to a budding hero who has a purpose.  Love what they're doing with him.   And I caught the first half of Black Lightning but so far so good.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:23 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

I’m not digging Black Lightning’s old white tech guy. Guy gets on my nerves.

He has a hidden agenda to be certain.   I can't tell if he just wants to keep BL on a short leash or if he's got some arrangement with the cartel behind the 100. 

Tobias Whale and the tailor being aware of each other's existence is not a good sign.  The fact that Whale left the tailor's shop peacefully without any bullshit spoke volumes.

I will be keeping a close eye on Mr. Remar.

I am beginning to suspect that the season will end with Remar's character trying to swap out the old for the new once Surge really comes into her own and BL has his doubts about whether or not he can completely trust the gadget tailor.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 1:41 PM, Mickie Zeidler said:

DeVoe's body was buried, wasn't it?  I swear I recall a funeral.

On 2/10/2018 at 4:06 AM, Eivion said:

Didn't Barry trying to gain freedom legally have more to do with not wanting to be on the run than it did moral reasons? 

Yes, so if you’re Barry and the Thinker has been one+ steps ahead of you this whole time, you should at least be concerned about the possibility of that dead body showing back & dna tests happening.

After further thought, double jeopardy would apply, so going back to jail isn’t hanging over his head but “Just kidding, Barry’s still really a murderer is.”

^That reply has been sitting in the editor since last month.  I give them credit for the “lots of people don’t think Devoe is really alive” angle and it not working out as well as they thought.  

Also, we all agree Devoe is saving Ralph and his indestructible body for last, right?

23 hours ago, J.T. said:

He has a hidden agenda to be certain.   I can't tell if he just wants to keep BL on a short leash or if he's got some arrangement with the cartel behind the 100. 

Tobias Whale and the tailor being aware of each other's existence is not a good sign.  The fact that Whale left the tailor's shop peacefully without any bullshit spoke volumes.

I will be keeping a close eye on Mr. Remar.

I am beginning to suspect that the season will end with Remar's character trying to swap out the old for the new once Surge really comes into her own and BL has his doubts about whether or not he can completely trust the gadget tailor.

This week's episode had Remar talking to Jill Scott's character (I think that's Jill Scott....) and referencing an agreement to leave the Pierce family alone, so I'm guessing he cut some sort of deal to protect BL and his family.  Course, that raises the question of whether or not Scott's character knows BL's secret ID, since Tobias doesn't seem to.  Gambi definitely seems to be some sort of ex-spook.

Re: Legends.  Past couple eps have been fun, so it's safely on my DVR schedule for the time being.  The time loop was legitimately great, imo.  Goofy, fun, deepened the characters of most involved, finally made me remember Zari's name and made her seem like an actual character.

The writers are still dumb about super powers, though.  I feel like at least half the characters could have dealt with the "bomb" without a sweat.  Instead, they all stand around like dunces.

Spoiler

Heat Wave coulda fried it and tried to melt the components - though they shot down that idea.  Orrr.... he coulda tried to melt the wires connecting the timer to the explosive.

They have a cold gun.  Wrap the thing in as dense a coat of ice as possible, toss it behind the force field, hope for the best.

Nate is probably strong enough to just crush it in his armored form.  Or maybe smother it with his body.

Not sure what the limit's of Vixen's powers are, but she coulda tried channeling the strength of an elephant and crushing it.  Or maybe take on the mass of, say, a large whale and sit on it?  

Last - but not least, cause this would probably work - Ray coulda just shrunk the damn thing down.  A microscopic bomb would do a lot less damage.

But, nope, dumb.  Still a fun episode.

Ralph Digby is the best thing about the Berlanti DC-verse right now.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

Yes, so if you’re Barry and the Thinker has been one+ steps ahead of you this whole time, you should at least be concerned about the possibility of that dead body showing back & dna tests happening.

After further thought, double jeopardy would apply, so going back to jail isn’t hanging over his head but “Just kidding, Barry’s still really a murderer is.”

^That reply has been sitting in the editor since last month.  I give them credit for the “lots of people don’t think Devoe is really alive” angle and it not working out as well as they thought.  

Also, we all agree Devoe is saving Ralph and his indestructible body for last, right?

I don't remember if he was buried or not, but aren't most murder victims autopsied?  That would put DNA samples on record.

Another thing that bugged me about the trial was that Barry pretty much went straight from the group Christmas party back to his apartment, right?  He'd have numerous people who could alibi him during the time of death and probably plenty of time stamped photos/videos as well.  It's not airtight but the murder case was based on just as much circumstantial evidence.

As far as Arrow goes, I'm used to the faces being up against incredibly overpowerd villains who have Brock Lesnar type buildups, but at this point it's almost hard to watch as absolutely nothing is going right for Ollie and his crew.  He's pretty much been an abject failure as mayor (not necessarily due to his own efforts) and even if he can get the stolen money back he's pretty much dead in a court of public opinion. There's also the Arrow B Team wanting nothing to do with him and the possibility the FBI still has a case against him.

3 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

The writers are still dumb about super powers, though.  I feel like at least half the characters could have dealt with the "bomb" without a sweat.  Instead, they all stand around like dunces.

Hide contents

Heat Wave coulda fried it and tried to melt the components - though they shot down that idea.  Orrr.... he coulda tried to melt the wires connecting the timer to the explosive.

They have a cold gun.  Wrap the thing in as dense a coat of ice as possible, toss it behind the force field, hope for the best.

Nate is probably strong enough to just crush it in his armored form.  Or maybe smother it with his body.

Not sure what the limit's of Vixen's powers are, but she coulda tried channeling the strength of an elephant and crushing it.  Or maybe take on the mass of, say, a large whale and sit on it?  

Last - but not least, cause this would probably work - Ray coulda just shrunk the damn thing down.  A microscopic bomb would do a lot less damage.

Almost everything you just said would have killed them. The explosion was big enough to take out the entire damn ship. Smothering it was not going to work. Rory's gun is a powerful flamethrower, not a device you can do something small with. It would have more likely set off the bomb. I doubt the cold gun was close enough to them that they had time to get it and still likely would have killed them since they couldn't outrun the blast.  I think the shrinking idea is the only one even remotely viable, and even that again raises the question of did they have enough time. I don't recall Ray being suited up.

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Another thing that bugged me about the trial was that Barry pretty much went straight from the group Christmas party back to his apartment, right?  He'd have numerous people who could alibi him during the time of death and probably plenty of time stamped photos/videos as well.  It's not airtight but the murder case was based on just as much circumstantial evidence.

if there are no videos or photos then they have no reason to believe his friends aren't just providing a false alibi. Even if they had that there is the question then of how Barry got there so quick which endangers his identity as the Flash. Also I don't think a murder weapon with your prints and you being around the body is considered circumstantial evidence. That is probably looked as caught damn near red-handed.

3 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Ralph Digby is the best thing about the Berlanti DC-verse right now.

Yes, yes he is.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Almost everything you just said would have killed them. The explosion was big enough to take out the entire damn ship. Smothering it was not going to work. Rory's gun is a powerful flamethrower, not a device you can do something small with. It would have more likely set off the bomb. I doubt the cold gun was close enough to them that they had time to get it and still likely would have killed them since they couldn't outrun the blast.  I think the shrinking idea is the only one even remotely viable, and even that again raises the question of did they have enough time. I don't recall Ray being suited up.

Well, yeah, but it's a show about super-powered people, so I imagine some creative leeway could be applied.

Besides, you know what else would have killed them?  Standing around looking at one another while they wait for a bomb to go off.  I mean. Zari's idea was to stand behind a force field and hope an explosion powerful enough to destroy the ship could be contained to one room (which seems a little unlikely).  Besides, that's kinda besides the point.  I'm willing to buy that there were reasons not to try to use their powers, but my more general opinion  is that the writers aren't great at figuring out how to incorporate super powers into the mix.  Remember when Barry got beaten on by the dude who could create duplicates of himself (season 1)?  Remember how Firestorm - who they acknowledged could rearrange the molecular structure of.... well, pretty much everything - was reduced to guy who flies and throws fireballs?  I would just have preferred to see a more creative solution.  I mean, if I'm Heat Wave and my options are stand around and hope for the best, or try to melt the bomb, I'd probably give the melting thing a try.

Small complaint, though.  I thought it was a really fun episode.  It's probably my favorite episode of LoT to date.

I get your point about them needing to be more creative with powers (and agree), but it also would have defeated the point of Zari's attempted sacrifice. And again just almost all of that was a terrible idea.

And yeah that was definitely one of the more fun episodes which is kind of surprising seeing how annoying Zari ad been up to that point.

I had no idea what the character's name was, until that point.

With all the shows Berlanti has on the air, they're going to find room somewhere for Ralph Dibny/Hartley Sawyer next season, right?  I'm hoping he stays with Flash, but, if not, keep him on the air somewhere.  Hell, I don't even care if it makes sense or not.  I can live with Ralph Dibny having a major role on Black Lightning.

The Black Lightning episode where Freeland = Charlottesville was number one and the best.

FINALLY, WE ARE MOVING TOWARDS SIDEKICK-NESS~! 

It is fucking beast how Surge's progression as a superhero involves the bitter lesson of, "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should."

Yes, I agree that a statue honoring the Confederacy can be seen as a celebration of racism, but using your abilities to destroy that statue IS still a criminal act.

And now we know that Lady Eve and Gambi were both super spooks.  What is this Faustian deal that the both of them agreed to?  We also know that the same substance used to make Greenlight is linked to the metahuman experiments that gave Black Lightning his powers.

I hate Tobias Whale so much.  He sold that crippled kid a one way ticket to Luthor City.  If Krondon isn't nominated for an Emmy, I will be salty.  He is fucking awesome.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't had any discussion on any of the last LoT episodes and thats a shame.

It's actually been fun watching people around the internet come around to LoT being the best DC show. BL and Supergirl are good too, but LoT is generally an amazing mix of cool concept episodes, great characters getting actual progression, and and legitimately funny comedy. LoT is the perfect comic book show imo.

• Like 1

Yeah, the last two LoT eps were great. The No Country one with the Dharks was super fun. Watching Neil McDonough just having a blast is one of my favorite things. And the Elvis one could have easily gone sideways into bad cheese but it ended up being just wonderful. And I’m thinking they dropped some bucks on music cause they used actual Elvis recordings which made it feel authentic as he saved the day.

The Flash from two weeks ago with the nuke was also tremendous. This weeks was ok, I liked Iris as Flash but it felt like they went backwards with Ralph. 

• Like 2

Black Lightning was working really well for me, then they trotted out the government conspiracy and the last couple eps have gotten away from what made the show work.  Not looking forward to next week's "people in tanks" ep.  I'm hoping they push the government spook stuff back into the background after that, but not optimistic.

Reviews have been mixed, not particularly good.  43% on Rotten Tomatoes, for what that's worth.  Haven't read much viewer feedback though.  I've got it on the DVR, but I'm about 3 weeks behind on pretty much every show I'm trying to watch, so it'll be a bit before i get to it.  Couple minutes I caught on Wed didn't hook me, but it was literally a couple minutes in the middle of the ep.

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

I haven’t seen yet it but making Adam Strange look like circa 2011 Miz was a weird choice.

Thank goodness I wasn't the only one who thought this. It just feels weird.

As for the show itself I was actually just about to ask if anyone else here had caught it. I thought it was a solid enough beginning though I don't love it or anything yet.

In the UK, Gotham season 4 starts next week on E4. Which is odd, because seasons one and two were on Channel 5, and season three went straight to Netflix.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 5:57 PM, AxB said:

In the UK, Gotham season 4 starts next week on E4. Which is odd, because seasons one and two were on Channel 5, and season three went straight to Netflix.

Watched season one only. Yes, Channel 5 aired season one and two. I didn't know season three went to Netflix and was surprised Gotham arriving on E4 as I was watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 

Anybody else persevered with it?