DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

Holy fuck, I legit wept at the end of Episode 3 of Black Lightning.

JILL SCOTT IS A DC VILLAIN, MOTHER FUCKERS~!

I'm not sure how I feel about the character of Tobias Whale.  Krondon is doing great in the role but Whale as an albino African American whose self loathing is compounded by his skin condition really does put a lot of our racial business out there.

Spoiler

I'm guessing by the way he killed La La, that Whale is also metahuman and not just plain ol' strong as an ox. .

Has Syonide (played by Charlbi Dean) been referred to by her street name (I found it through iMDB) or is she still just Whale's pale, silent hit babe?  I am old and don't really pay the strictest attention to the dialogue.

19 hours ago, J.T. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm guessing by the way he killed La La, that Whale is also metahuman and not just plain ol' strong as an ox.

Has Syonide (played by Charlbi Dean) been referred to by her street name (I found it through iMDB) or is she still just Whale's pale, silent hit babe?  I am old and don't really pay the strictest attention to the dialogue.

They didn't say Syonide's name yet, though I imagine in one of the next couple episodes they will.  If Black Lightning or his daughter need to fight her then I'm sure they'll say it by then.  But for now she's just hanging out with Tobias waiting to see what goes down.

And I was blown away to see Jill Scott as a DC villain, she did a fantastic job so far.

Holy shit, this Flash jail subplot has been fucking stupid, and I say that as someone who has been a huge fan of this show.  "No guys, I'm not going to use our powers to get out of jail!" *Ralph uses his powers to impersonate DeVoe." "Yay, I'm free!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, the obvious question posed by that plot twist was.... why the hell didn't they do that earlier?

Not that I'm complaining.  The jail plotline has brought the show to a screeching halt for me.  And I've really enjoyed the season as a whole.

Unless he's getting a show of his own - please don't send him to the Berlantiverse ghetto that is LoT - Ralph needs to become a regular next season.

Well to be fair, Barry didn't want to escape and become a fugitive and Ralph only developed this aspect of his powers until this episode.  I enjoyed the jail episodes especially  Goldberg as Big Sir. 

What didn't make sense was when Wolf said in front of the other metas that Barry was a speedster and then later reveals to them he's the Flash and they're surprised.  You'd think they'd have put two and two together earlier.

• Like 2

Yeah, Goldberg was good, but Barry’s content to stay in jail because he wants to be freed legitimately so going back doesn’t hang over his head, but he frees Big Sir and uses deception to get out, when DeVoe’s real dead body is out there somewhere, so that’s still hanging over Barry’s head.

14 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Yeah, Goldberg was good, but Barry’s content to stay in jail because he wants to be freed legitimately so going back doesn’t hang over his head, but he frees Big Sir and uses deception to get out, when DeVoe’s real dead body is out there somewhere, so that’s still hanging over Barry’s head.

Didn't Barry trying to gain freedom legally have more to do with not wanting to be on the run than it did moral reasons? Besides the Goldberg story kind of proved you can't always get it done even when doing the things the right way. I'd argue it made him willing to be a bit more fluid on the subject especially since DeVoe really is alive.

Catching up on the Berlanti shows (haven't watched much since the winter break).  Really liking Supergirl this season.  Kinda wish they had kept the focus on Reign and weren't adding more World Killers to the mix.  Seems like overkill.  Maybe the rest of the Legion comes in to aid her for the final dust-up at season's end?

Catching up Black Lightning later today after work.  How are ratings?  I'm liking it very much, but I'm also wondering if tv audiences will be as interested in a show this "black" as comic audiences typically are.

I do hate the day-glo lightning bolts on Black Lighting's costume.  I'm also kinda sad that Tobias Whale is not 400 lbs.

12 hours ago, supremebve said:

Whoever directed the costume fitting scene and the person who selected the latex costume in this week's Black Lightning need to win all the awards.  

I had a feeling either you or @J.T. would say something like that.  But while I definitely agree I love how she suddenly goes from black hoodie to something like that with no hesitation.  The episode itself was pretty great with Lightning being too damn stubborn to wait and it did him in.  At some point he's going to team up with his daughter and it's going to be utterly fantastic.

Also liked LoT and the return of Constatine.  I never saw the Constantine show, but if it's the same guy in it then I might have to check that out.

39 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Also liked LoT and the return of Constatine.  I never saw the Constantine show, but if it's the same guy in it then I might have to check that out.

Same actor, Matt Ryan.  I didn't like the Constantine series or this week's LoT, but the part is a good showcase for Ryan so hopefully he gets another break somewhere soon.  Although I feel like putting him on LoT really spotlighted the fact that about half the cast is really lacking in screen presence.  The actress portraying Isis still hasn't made an impression on me, though I feel like the writers haven't given her much to work with.

Speaking of Legends, um, how did Earth X Captain Cold go home?  Did they establish that there was some easy way to send him back to his own universe.  'Cause jumping universes was a big plot point in the Earth-X crossover.  Leonard seemed to be able to jump home without a second thought.

Probably for the best.  I feel like the show needs Wewntworth Miller to stick around and give it some star power, but I find myself kinda fascinated by how odd Miller's hair looks these days.

Edit; Wikipedia says there's a Constantine animated series coming to CW Seed this year.  I hadn't heard that.  True?

• Like 1

Yeah, that works.  Kinda forgot Cisco could do that.  Would have been better if they spent a line or two hinting at that.  I don't really want shows that explain everything to me, but I also don't like to have to fill in gaps in logic or character motivation myself.  Creators usually claim it's challenging their audience or somesuch, but, to me, it's more often lazy writing.

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

LoT is the DC Universe's "creative has nothing for you" NXT demotion.

The amusing thing is LoT has now passed both Arrow and Supergirl in ratings by just basically cutting out the bullshit and being the super fun show who has zero qualms about what type of show it is. And it's really really fucking good at it.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Maybe so, but if that means we get episodes like this latest one then NXT DCW is awesome. 

A-fucking-men. I love this band of misfits so damned much. I also love that this is the only DC TV show that actually is doing an entertaining main character relationship by having it be prominent but not be what dominates the entire god damned show *looks pointedly at Arrow*

• Like 1

13 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I love Legends so damn much. Like I feel like a broken record coming in here every episode just saying "Legends is so great" but Legends is just silly great. Shoutout to Careless Whisper in 1992.

Legends was fucking outstanding this week. The first show back from the very long break mixed with trading nights with Supergirl was jarring given the fact that I had to get reinvested in the story and the tone. But last week where they managed to both do an awesome show AND flesh out Isis, make her part of the family, and have her replace Jax as ships mechanic was fantastic.

And this week they finished Isis by giving her actual black hair, and curly not conked like the 70’s tv show/ comic. And then they deliver a fucking great show that moved everything along and was note perfect.

And most importantly, fun.

• Like 2