DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

On 05/12/2017 at 6:03 PM, Raziel403 said:

The crossover was awesome.  But yeah, can't figure out how Thawne is still in existance.  

Not even Thawne knows.

But I'd guess that the Anti Speed Force needs him alive and keeps bringing him back.

Almost caught up on the Berlanti DCU shows.  Finished the last part of Crisis on Earth X last night.  It was a blast and it set a few things up going forward that I'm looking forward to.  Putting the Tom Cavanagh Thawne back on the canvas is a good idea.  The Matt Letscher version is alright, but not as interesting.  I'm kinda curious to see what they do with a gay, talky version of Captain Cold.  That was a fun twist.  There are two versions of Cold on Earth-1 now, aren't there?  As I recall, Mick tried to set Cold back on his heroic path last season on Legends.  But, yeah, the crossover worked out great.

In general, really high on Supergirl and Flash so far this season.  Not enjoying Arrow a whole lot yet.  It's been the most consistent Berlanti show so far, imo, but this season just has too much going on.  Oliver and his kid.  Deathstroke looking for his sons.  Black Canary and Vigilante. The FBI plotline.  The villains arc.  Diggle as Green Arrow.  Diggle's medical issues.  They need a tighter focus and most of the newer characters haven't won me over yet so I'd just as soon they get back to the core group.

The Legends episode of the crossover was good, though I'd have preferred a happy ending for Martin.  The new, semi-comic direction of the show isn't working for me.  They're mostly hitting that Giffen/DeMatteis vibe they seem to be going for, but I loathe the Giffen/DeMatteis JLA with an intensity I usually reserve for Sean Hannity and Roy Moore.  I'm going to watch the Beebo episode, then may drop the show.  It doesn't help that RIP is awol again (I assume Arthur Darvill doesn't want to commit for a whole season) and Mick has been given nothing to do this season.  Don't care too much about half the characters.

Didn't hate the Beebo ep of LoT near as much as I expected to.  Writing was actually sort of clever and the guys going full-on with the long hair and beards for their nordic disguises was amusing.  Two gags actually made me laugh this ep: Neal McDonough's wacky Odin wig and Leo's Martin Stein puppet.  Still really hate the comedic tone of the show.  Beebo was good, the rest of the eps not so much.  No real confidence the writers can pull off the tone and the comedy on a weekly basis.

And, for the love of god, just write Rip out if Arthur Darvill is too busy and can't/won't commit.  

Keeping Wentworth Miller around for awhile is a good idea. 

I'm guessing Constantine is only around for an arc.  Kinda interested in seeing him for a short stint, don't think the character works if he stays around long-term.

Show is still close to being dropped from the DVR, but it's not quite that time yet.

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

Well he's Super...Cena already ; ).

I mean there's a precedence at guys built like bricks playing monotone characters. And no one is gonna do it better than Crud up, so they may as well go wildly different. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2017 at 11:04 AM, RandomAct said:

One funny gag in the Beebo episode that I'm surprised more people didn't find amusing, is the Arrow theme playing when young Stein uses the toy bow to get the toy down.

So good.

And so happy Dahk is back. The guy clearly loves being a goofy supervillain. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am totally stoked for the debut of Black Lightning.

It looks like the perfect blend of Lincoln Heights and The Flash, so my boo can watch it for the TV One family drama and I can watch it for the superhero asswhoopins.

God really does listen to prayer, doesn't he?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm about to check out Black Lightning, but The Flash.... well, given that Barry was in the speed force for all of one episode, I wonder how long this'll last.

I'm gonna be skipping episodes if Barry is in prison very long.  No interest in this development.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm about to check out Black Lightning, but The Flash.... well, given that Barry was in the speed force for all of one episode, I wonder how long this'll last.

Thankfully they have Dibney stepping up so he can do things while Barry's locked up.  I was expecting it to be a one-episode deal and was relieved when it wasn't.

Liked Flash and was very happy to see Supergirl back on.  But holy shit Black Lightning was awesome!  Everything about that first episode clicked for me and I can't wait to see more.  I never heard anything about comics, but it makes for one helluva TV show.  And to me of the DC shows it's the most approachable where it doesn't matter if you know the back story or not (though I would love to find that out)  The social issues being woven into it were realistic enough that I could see one day a guy like him being created and is using powers to stop gangs and whatever messed up stuff going on.  Baltimore City could sure as shit use a guy like him that's for sure.

Supergirl had a great return. I'm really digging Braniac 5. He looks better in the show than the original pics made him look.

Thought Flash was good. I kind of hope it sticks a few episodes at least. Would be nice to see Ralph step up and Wally return.

Dug the first episode of Black Lightning a good deal.