DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I am still a week and a half behind (got 2 Arrows, 2 LOT and a Flash to watch).  All I can say about Supergirl is that I will never, ever support that ship.  And scrolling back reminds me that I never got around to reading Hickman's FF to see what the deal is with the Reed who appears to also be Star-Lord, Star-Brand, Quasar and Captain Marvel.

Yeah the shows have all been good, but jesus could we get past the "(insert name here) has a secret that they aren't sharing with the team but really should and eventually will, then will promise that there will be no more secrets only to do the same fucking thing next season" crutch that all 4 of them lean on? Of the 4, I'm probably enjoying Arrow the least right now. Most of it is alright even with what I just said, but they're leaning way too heavy on the OTHER tired tv trope that I hate as well: the cop/fbi agent who has the "dog with a bone" mentality and impedes the main characters' progress at every turn. 

I really wish Arrow would use Solomon Grundy. Didn't they kill off Cyrus Gold in season 1?

It was Season 2 when they killed Cyrus Gold, but when he died, chemicals exploded onto him. So, theoretically, they could bring him back somehow. But Gotham is kind of using the Grundy character right now, so...

Oh, and I don't care if they did bring in Gorilla Grodd, Legends of Tomorrow officially sucks and I'm probably done with this show. It's really fuckin' camp and boring.

Fuck Gotham, I want Grundy in the Aorrwverse.

I concur about all 4 shows delivering at the moment. Arrow especially feels the most consistent its been in quality since S2. Not saying its at that level. It just hasn't taken a major dip for me at some point thus far.

6 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I'm excited for the crossover stuff this week. I don't care if Barry is marrying Iris, I'm still trying to ship Barry & Kara.

When they did the musical last season I've since thought on another planet there's a version of them that's a couple.  They'd really be an awesome couple.  Though I'm liking Iris stepping up as the unofficial leader of Star Labs, she's come a long way from how she was in the past.

And Grodd in LoT makes me very happy, always love when they use him.

Every time Barry and Kara are on screen together, their chemistry is through the roof. Crazy that almost everyone in the Arrowverse has better chemistry with every besides who they are actually paired with.  I mean, we coulda had Barry/Felicity(Flashicity) and it would have been great.

3 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Every time Barry and Kara are on screen together, their chemistry is through the roof. Crazy that almost everyone in the Arrowverse has better chemistry with every besides who they are actually paired with.  I mean, we coulda had Barry/Felicity(Flashicity) and it would have been great.

They're just shitty at writing romances.  Keep in mind, Oliver and Laurel was the original romance on Arrow, but they had to pivot away from it because the Oliver/Felicity chemistry was so good.  Then they put them together and proceeded to drive it into the ground.

I've been out on all the CW shows this season and, honestly, haven't missed them at all.  Not even the least bit curious what's going on.

Ok, can someone give me a primer for the DC TV shows? Are all of them good? If I wanted to dive in would I just watch Arrow, Flash, and Supergirl? Is there any sort of order to watch them in? Meaning, watch one episode of Arrow, and then an episode of Flash, etc. Or can you basically watch one season and then watch another season of something else.

I've been curious for awhile because I know they've done at least one crossover and that sounds neat, but I just have no idea how to get into these series at this point.

The first two parts of Crisis on Earth X were awesome. It really does capture a bit of a movie feel the way the first episode plays out. Looking forward to the next two parts tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Ok, can someone give me a primer for the DC TV shows? Are all of them good? If I wanted to dive in would I just watch Arrow, Flash, and Supergirl? Is there any sort of order to watch them in? Meaning, watch one episode of Arrow, and then an episode of Flash, etc. Or can you basically watch one season and then watch another season of something else.

I've been curious for awhile because I know they've done at least one crossover and that sounds neat, but I just have no idea how to get into these series at this point.

Watch the first two seasons of Arrow first. Then you can catch Arrow and Flash simultaneously which is also when the first crossover happens. Same with Arrow S4 and Flash S2. You can start watching Supergirl here. You can start Legends after the second crossover. Then you watch the next seasons of all of the shows concurrently since the crossovers usually involve an important character arc from each series happening on the side as well.

As far as quality of the shows go its honestly a mixed bag. S2 of Arrow and S1 of Flash are easily the best out of any of the seasons/shows, but the rest tend to have a decent bit of average, if not bad, mixed in with a decent bit of good-great episodes. Legends is a mess in general but fun. Even the weakest seasons have least a few good-great episodes worth catching. At this point I think its best to experience it all. Will say the first two crossovers are on the weak side. Last year's was great, and this year is looking awesome as well.

• Like 2