DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

9 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

And as powerful as Maggie's dad's speech was with the referencing the Trump border wall deal,  I was like, "Wait,  the President on this show is Linda Carter who is secretly a Durlan." 

Shit, you're right.  I was so wrapped up in the speech and anti-Trump stuff that that didn't register with me.  But it seems of the DC shows that they have no problem slipping in social commentary storyline be damned.

And that speech was fantastic.  It was heartbreaking seeing Maggie's dad bail on her again but it was cool seeing her be the one to close the door on him.  Really powerful stuff.

On 10/24/2017 at 8:50 PM, RandomAct said:

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I thought Supergirl this week was extremely well written and emotional. Whenever the Arrowverse tries to do the "very special" episode, it feels really embarrassing, but I like what they accomplished here, showing different sides of a relationship with your parents, and not being afraid to show that it doesn't always have a happy ending.

Yeah, the B story this week was really well done.  I kinda expected it to be a cliche - either the father accepts her and admits he was wrong, or he's portrayed as an irrational bigot.  Neither happened, and the way they characterized the dad was just right.

Didn't like the A story as well, but it was all right. I get that they put J'onn's father into play to play off the theme of the B story, but the last two surviving green martians being directly related is a bit much of a coincidence.  Also wondering why the dad and rebel white martians decided to shift into African-American human forms.  That made no sense, except that it saved money on special effects.

I hated last season, but I'm cautiously optimistic about this season.  They seem to be correcting some of the issues I had with last season (de-emphasizing CatCo).

Flash was fun this week.  Until Wally showed up to ask if anyone noticed he was missing, I completely failed to notice he was awol.  Laughed at that.

Haven't watched Legends or Arrow yet this season.  May start catching up on Legends tonight.

48 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Flash was fun this week.  Until Wally showed up to ask if anyone noticed he was missing, I completely failed to notice he was awol.  Laughed at that.

I really wanted one of them to say, "Dude, once you got that perm, we haven't been able to take you seriously as a human being."

• Like 1

Tbh I won't miss Wally much, simply because there was never much effort placed into his character. I also thought Flash was a hoot this week. Dialogue was written very well, and it was genuinely funny. A nice little break before bigger stuff gets setup.

So why does Felicity complain about affordable office space when she literally put the Team Arrow Bunker directly beneath an office?

Absolutely amazed that they didn't have Ollie back in the hood immediately after Diggle's screw up.  The crossbow leads me to believe that Diggle will be the Green Arrow for a minute, which I kinda love.

• Like 1

Mark Hamill will never stop playing The Joker.

Plot synopsis

Spoiler

Mark Hamill (Mark Hamill) gets kidnapped by The Joker (Mark Hamill) and The Trickster (Mark Hamill) before being saved by Swamp Thing (Mark Hamill).

• Like 2

Legends of Tomorrow is reallllyyyy close to be booted off the DVR.  Kinda surprised, even though I never been as high on the show as other people posting about it.  I thought season 2 was an improvement over season 1, but haven't enjoyed season 3 yet.  That last episode felt like it went on a couple hours.

Really not interested in the new status quo.  Re-imagning the Legends as inept screw-ups who succeed despite themselves is a weird character beat for me.  And I don't buy at all that Rip goes from renegade Time Master to leaving his own ship because the team no longer needs him to.... founding his own, blander version of the Time Masters.  The writers didn't do much to sell that one to me.  They've pretty much thrown out his previous characterization and replaced it with...?  His decision to let the Legends keep his stolen ship wasn't sold particularly well, either. 

I'm going to stay with it a little longer, but I'm pretty close to giving up on it.

3 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Really not interested in the new status quo.  Re-imagning the Legends as inept screw-ups who succeed despite themselves is a weird character beat for me.  And I don't buy at all that Rip goes from renegade Time Master to leaving his own ship because the team no longer needs him to.... founding his own, blander version of the Time Masters.  The writers didn't do much to sell that one to me.  They've pretty much thrown out his previous characterization and replaced it with...?  His decision to let the Legends keep his stolen ship wasn't sold particularly well, either. 

It's actually become very Giffen/Dematteis. I hadn't made that connection until now which is my fault.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

It's actually become very Giffen/Dematteis. I hadn't made that connection until now which is my fault.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that either, but the new status quo and tone would fit in well with  JLI spinoff.  That's not really a selling point for me.  I'm a huge fan of Giffen's Legion work (esp. 5YL) and dark, introspective JM DeMatteis is probably my favorite 70's/80's comic writer.  So it's painful for me to admit how much I despise their Justice League books and "funny' JM DeMatteis in general.

I'll give Legends a few more weeks.  Last year was kinda fun, so hopefully it picks up.  Not even really invested in any of the characters right now (really only like Rip and White Canary).

Oh,. and while I'm hating on stuff most other people like, I never really liked Kevin Maguire's art either.

Legends is at the bottom of the pile for me currently, which is sad since I've really loved the show ever since it started (besides the love arcs every season and the horrible Hawk characters). I think at one point it was my favorite over Arrow & Flash. Supergirl S1 was really good, but I'm not sure when that started in regards to what seasons the other shows were on at the time.

I just started S1 of iZombie tonight and, uh, wow. Why does no one talk about this show? As far as I'm aware, it's based off a comic by DC/Vertigo, so it definitely belongs in this thread. Again, like Supergirl's first season, I'm not sure where it fits in regards to the other show's seasons, but it's reallyyyy good so far and I'm only on episode 9.

EDIT: And they just named dropped the Bonnaroo festival in that episode of iZombie. Best show ever.

I enjoyed Legends tonight. Its definitely in last place for DC shows for me right now, but I never really thought of it as the best of the shows at any point anyways, just an enjoyable mess.

Tonight's Flash was super fun, probably my favorite episode so far into the season.

Joe throwing up was the best part of the entire episode. Well, besides the scenes with Breacher & Cisco.

Ray having his second romance storyline on Legends of Tomorrow isn't doing the show any favors with myself. I hated that entire episode besides the young Ray and the young Dominator scenes, that shit was cute as fuck.